Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another boot question I'm afraid !

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hoping someone can advise;
Couple of weeks ago skiing in Italy, first 2 or 3 days,my boots ( own) seemed fine however after this I developed a blister ( one on each foot in the 'same' place) just below & back from the inner ankle, so almost but not quite on the heel. It seemed to be caused by my skating action when moving on flat sections; also I seem to suffer from hot feet no matter how cold things get, so sweaty socks seemed to increase the problem as this allowed some ( all though very little) movement when doing this action.
On returning home & reading various 'boot' threads on forums I removed the boot liners & measured the gap between my heel & the back of the boot whilst my toes were touching the front. Right foot has a gap of around 25 to 30 mm & left foot around 20 to 25 mm ( my left foot is a UK 9 & right is a UK 8 1/2.
My boots are a mondo 27.5 & are very snug when first put on but suspect they may be too big now after all my research ( although god knows how I could get my foot into a smaller boot)
Is there any thing I can do to alter the boot liner ( pad out at this point of rubbing etc) or am I going to have to buy a new pair of boots ?
Boots have had 1 week inresort + approx 15 hours at MK snowdome ( does also have an insole which 'cured' my previous pains ).
Thanks in advance
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm no bootfitter but would say your boots are to big and the blisters caused by heel lifting and rubbing ? when clamped up can you lift your heels up??
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
anotherproblem,
Would have said not but as you suggest, that must be whats happening. Seemed to be happening due to socks getting so sweaty ! Perhaps a top pair of merino wool ski socks may help?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hmm i get sweaty feet and always had a pain in the ass with boots but never got blisters. Personally use thin Falke socks and most people on here rave about em, general view is that thick socks are evil Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
anotherproblem,
Socks I have are 'decent' spec ( although not sure what that would be now!), not thick or tubes & do have decent amount of wool in.............but they do stink after a days skiing & was looking at some made from 'smartwool' that supposedly stink proof !
It seemed that the sweat lubricated my ankle area enough to allow some movement which then caused the blisters....................combined perhaps with a tad oversized boot Puzzled
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
possibly, we needSZKl or CEM!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boots are way too big & will only get worse as the liner will pack out quickly due to the excessive space. Save yourself a load of hassle & spring for new 'un's. Clean socks each day are a must.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mitchell, there's a good chance the boots are not just too big but too wide, so that when you skate the foot pronates inwards in spite of the insole. When it does that, the part of the liner that would lock in around the tendon on a bigger foot comes into rubbing contact.

Rubbing-friction heat-blister.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Okay, looks like new boots are required; that presents a new problem.............am going skiing ( not booked yet but 95% on) 2nd, 3rd week n march & do not have the £300 or so to go & buy new boots & get fitted properly. Assuming I will have to hire instead what should I do in the hire shop to check I have something at least close to correct sizing ( when my existing boots were/are put on with liner in there is no way you would think they are too big; very snug, toes just touching front when standing etc...................so dont want to make the same mistake again ) ?

Should I pull out the liner in store & do some shell size checks against my foot or ..........?

Thanks in advance

Mitch
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mitchell, What level are you skiing at - I would have thought you could get boots for £150-£160 unless you need something very fancy - the others might disagree, but I don't think you are looking at £300
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum,
Was looking at solutions 4feet site & the boots are starting around £170 odd, so figured once the footbed is done + bootfitters labour that would add another 100 or so. I,m all for it being cheaper.....could probably squeeze 150 from somewhere but not 300 !............Hence the query about sorting rental boots.
Thanks
Mitch
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy