Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fab result for Chemmy

Poster: A snowHead
Having completed the DH on saturday, albeit quite gently ( Shocked ) Chemmy had a really fab result in the GS yesterday - 15th! Brilliant for a comeback after such an injury - nothing on Beeb though. Sad

Very disappointing (non) coverage of the men's slalom from Kitz though. Sad

SG about to start on Eurosport and for once I can watch it live. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Agreed, great result for Chemmy. She got a mention on SS, but shame the Beeb didn't actually cover any of the ladies races. However the mens slalom from Kitz was on live yesterday dinnertime on BBCi (red button). I assume it all happened too late to be included in the teatime SS show, but the highlights were shown again afterwards on BBCi along with some snowboarding stuff...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Trouble with the beeb is that they tend to film everything on the Saturday so that they can get back to the UK and do all the editing on the Sunday, when Finlay did well in the Lauberhorn race a couple of years ago the presenter (Hazel Irvine) and Cameraman were already on the motorway towards Zurich, they had to turn round and come back to interview him in the Hotel Garden, fortunately one of the other members of the Press had phoned her to let her know, otherwise the only interviews would have been from the two newspaper reporters in the hotel Lounge.

The beeb has a very limited budget for covering snow sports which is sad especially as we are covering the Mens Downhills when we don't even have a Brit competitor whilst the likes of Chemmy and our snowboarders who are doing even better get next to no airtime in the UK
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
D G Orf, Agreed - I turned over to SS yesterday, but they were showing DH from Kitz and the commentator didn't sound as though he knew a binding from a boot, so I switched back to eurosport which was also showing it. Rather listen to the dulcet tones and proper knowledge of John Clark thanks! Shame the brit press is so intent on NOT showing brit success isn't it?? Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
21st today in the Super G
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Excellent stuff!

I have to admit that I've signed up for the FIS Alpine WC website's video feature due to the amount I've been travelling this month and the inconsistency of Eurosport's timings (and my father's memory - he occassionally forgets to set it up...) I'm a little bit disappointed that there is no form of commentary on it though (which I get for my, much cheaper baseball coverage on the internet).

Anyway, I'll have to watch the GS and SG on the internet (as I missed both live - I presume even Eurosport didn't show the SG as it was delayed from yesterday and the Aussie Open Final was on?)

The BBC's coverage of all sport is cr@p/lacklustre unless it has got a round ball in it (which is I suppose why we are bored rigid for weeks at a time by snooker as well as football... wink ). Why the BBC has still got it in its mind that DH is the only event in town is beyond me, although Wengen/Kitz are the mildly interesting ones though.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skisimon, I just left the vid on constant this am, but have to rush out now so have no idea if it was on (guessed at Eurosport 1) or if when so have to just trawl through. If anyone can tell me if it was on and if so when I'd appreciate it - would save me a fair bit of time!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski, lucky you - we have the horrors of Sky HD+. It will only record the time when the programme is scheduled to be on (plus one minute either side), regardless of when the programme is actually on. Even if you're sat there watching it at the time you can't do anything to keep it recording without recording the entire next programme... Sad
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wow, DH training run today, let's all keep everything crossed for the race.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
gsb, any more info /link?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
1st at mom started 43rd
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://live.fisski.com/live5610.htm
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bloody hell! Excellent run from Chemmy in the DH training. Still, training runs aren't quite the same as the real thing, expect some faster times by race day.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So, she stays top of the training run rankings with all of the other competitors having had a go too. Well done Chemmy.

If she wins the race I will ski naked down Gloucester dry slope and have it videoed for posterity. Shocked
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good for her, a gutsy, hard-working girl. Talking about a single-minded commitment to overcoming injury (which Chemmy must have, to be skiing as she is now) anyone spot this in The Times? I guess that so much about being good at a sport, particularly a dangerous one, is in the head.
snow report
unfortunately it looks like she has been disqualified for some reason.
snow conditions
Looks like a gate issue:

43 225206 ALCOTT Chemmy 1982 GBR DQ Gate 9 Rule 629.3 Voelkl
snow conditions
Full results now on FIS site, with explanation of DQ

629.3 Does not pass through a gate correctly
latest report
Of little consequence, it was only a training run. It was nice to hail her as 1st place, but she'll be far more interested in how she does in the actual race on Saturday.

In total, 11 racers were DQd - Vonn and Paerson (amongst a couple of other quality racers) also removed from the rankings for one reason or another.
snow conditions
srobbo, do we know what 'Does not pass through gate correctly" means? Presumably she didn't 'miss' the gate (someone would surely have noticed in a DH, it's not quite as tricky to spot as in SL. So presumably this is some 'technicality'? Would like to know what of course, always interested to learn new regulations.
ski holidays
skisimon, Not sure the regulations are a little vague.

629.3 does not pass through a gate correctly (art. 661.4) or does not start within
the time limits defined by art. 613.7.

613.7 Valid and False Starts
In competitions with a fixed start interval the competitor must start on the
start signal. The start time is valid if it occurs within the following limits: 5
seconds before and 5 seconds after the official start time. A competitor
who does not start within that space of time will be disqualified.
The start referee must inform the Referee of the start numbers and names
of the competitors who made a false start or have contravened the starting
rules.

So could be a missed gate, (as initially displayed Gate 9 next to the DQ).
ski holidays
skisimon, Rule 629.3 relates to Article 661.4 of the regulations ( Puzzled ) which means that both ski tips and both feet have to pass on the correct side of the gate. I haven't seen it, but can only assume that one of her tips skipped over the base of the gate? This wouldn't be as obvious on TV coverage as a straddle might be in slalom.

srobbo, IMV, I think regulations are deliberatey vague so that no-one ever fully understands them!
latest report
Jon.L wrote:
I haven't seen it, but can only assume that one of her tips skipped over the base of the gate?
If so, she was lucky to get away with it, I'd have thought it would be very messy at 80kph.

Anyway, was just wondering, of little consequence in the grand scheme of things I suppose.
latest report
she probably missed the gate put kept on going - they can do that in training without being fined like in the race. If she crossed the finish line then it will have recorded a time for her which will have gone on the live results etc but subsequently removed when all the gate judge reports etc come down.
ski holidays
2nd training run today. 23rd 2.58 secs off Lindsey Vonn

Mens 1st training run Ed Drake 34th Dougie Crawford 47th
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy