Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

how many more injuries can I take?

Poster: A snowHead
This is not my year.
Nov - day 2 of my basi course, back went, ibuprofen to get through the week
Dec - Broke rib
Jan - neck went last monday, started physio today.
Today - Super compressed my lower back on a jump, landed crooked switch. Paralysed for half hour on the piste. Refused to get the sos. 1 and a half hours to get to the nearest train station (2 minutes away)

Age is a pain in the ass Sad Is this the end of the jib monkey? Was told to take it easy by the physio today, went around the mountain at 80% imo, still screwed myself. God knows how I'll make it to work tomorrow. Had to borrow ski sticks to use as crutches just to get home, I can walk fine so long as I stoop like yoda Laughing
Time to ski Sad Or quit Sad

Back to the doctors in the morning Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stab, Sad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, just think of me walking around, hunched over looking like I soiled my pants. There's always a funny side to everything, I hope Laughing
I can see the doctor taking my ski pass off me, or my board.
Being paralysed is a bit worrying though, would hate to have that happen long term. I literally landed and stopped dead, couldnt sit down, move off to the side, nothing. After half hour I could side slip down to the piste crossing. Took my board off and found out walking hurt more than boarding.
Got to get better soon, the snow is coming next week Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stab, sorry to hear of your bad luck dude. it sucks. but maybe you should lay off for a while. it's possible your bod is trying to tell you to take it easy or you will end up with an even more serious injury? fingers crossed the latest one's not too bad and you're able to make it into the snow next week.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sherlock235, I thought 80% was laying off, you mean not go up at all Shocked I know what you mean though, I should recover from everything 1st. Doctor thinks my neck is related to the rib injury which still isnt good.

Doesnt help that today my wife had reports of me, and I quote "jumping around like a rabbit" and being told by friends "do you really think that jump you're eyeing up is taking it easy?" Laughing
I'm my own worst enemy. Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stab, rolling eyes Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sounds very unlucky or else you are one radical dude...

In over 20 years of almost annual ski trips I think the worst I've had is a few bruises (touching wooden desk as I type). Maybe I'm just dull and careful...

Chin up and get fit soon...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Maybe I'm just dull and careful...

that's me. Compared to stab though, most of us are probably dull and careful.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stab wrote:
........Took my board off and found out walking hurt more than boarding........Smile

there's your answer then. give up walking it's obviously bad for you.Toofy Grin

hope you mend soon mate, maybe it is time to take it easy (for a while).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Maybe I'm just dull and careful...

that's me. Compared to stab though, most of us are probably dull and careful.

I think I'm just stupid. Eh oh!

Off I go to the doctors, they must think I'm having a laugh. This is why I have expensive insurance with a low excess Smile I would be dumb to make my monthly insurance bill less by increasing my excess.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stab wrote:
............ I can walk fine so long as I stoop like yoda

Careful, he's nasty when he kicks off wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Stab

I am beaming you over a bit of the old bar shaker's luck. By christ it sounds like you need it.

This getting old lark isn't nice. I got the new Red Bull mag though the other day and there's a picture of Shaun White on the cover, floating above the clouds, holding a rail. Then reality sets in as I read that he isn't even half my age.

FAF picturing you walking round like Yoda though. Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stab, I would suggest stopping the jibbing and jumping after the first discetomy, although i had mine so i could learn to jib and jump wink , and I suspect you may well have a similar view Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stab, you could (like my hubby did) break your neck at low speed on a blue run, now that's bad luck, and he was on skis. Had been jumping with our sons minutes before.
Hope your luck changes soon too, his season is over before it even began.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rayscoops wrote:
stab, I would suggest stopping the jibbing and jumping after the first discetomy, although i had mine so i could learn to jib and jump wink , and I suspect you may well have a similar view Laughing

that's the worry, eventually I have to stop jibbing and just do piste riding on some boring piste board Sad I'll be getting flows next Crying or Very sad

I dont think the doctors english is so good, I'm sure I understood no more snowboarding. I directly blaim having to work, I get so worked up the day before I'm off I'm like a coiled spring waiting to go off. I'm for sure more injured now I work than when I didnt used to work, although my injuries before were proper gnarly injuries. Very Happy
ski holidays
stab, ignore the pain by going bigger/higher than before
doesnt seem like your having much luck
latest report
nigel b, thats the thing, a bit of pain normally doesnt bother me that much, this back thing is insanely painfull. Every now and again I get a spasm thats like a thousand knives going into my lower back and down my leg. Cool
Some internet research later and I've decided I have http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/back/buttocks/sciatica.htm nerve root compression. Very Happy Awesome.
snow report
A thought just occurred to me stab, do you think skill and talent may be getting overlooked by some inane blindness and desire? Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
stab,

Powder = soft = more fun than the park = easier on the body
snow report
stab, you better not hope its a sciatica nerve problem
ive known a few people to suffer with it through heavy lifting
you sound like youve got a trapped nerve
have you tried a Chiropractic Clinic,they give your back a good crack and use some vibrating thing to relax your muscles
http://www.thespineteam.co.uk/Back_Pain_Summary.htm
ski holidays
stab, FGS .... crumbs. Sad
ski holidays
stab, Stop being a wuss wink

Hope you mend soon and take it easy young man Smile
snow conditions
stab, You may have what I had – your lower back disc is pressing on your sciatic nerve, this may take 6 weeks to clear up or it may never clear up (mine lasted 9 months of unbearable pain, then reduced to continual 24 hour a day pain equivalent to having a torn hamstring maybe). There are two issues, firstly what damage has been done to your disc and it is this that gives you the ‘old mans back’, and then there is that toothe ache type shooting pain down your leg which is caused by the disc pushing on the nerve.

Firstly the disc, if it is just dislodge a bit then maybe it can sort itself out, but in all probability you have compressed (from your heavy landing) it and it has prolapsed (the softer inner part of it is squeezing out and pushing on the nerve), and if this is the case the only real way to sort it out is surgery, i.e. a discectomy. DO NOT LET SOME QUACK TELL YOU THEY CAN PUSH IT BACK IN - your link to that webs site explains it quite well.

Symptoms – (1) pain in your back that basically disables you from work walking etc., (2) shooting pain down your leg which can be so bad that you can not stand, sit, lay down or walk, (3) numbness/pins’n’needles in your @rse or leg or feet, and (4) finally restricted bowel movement.

Cure – well for (1) and (2) the doctor will give you painkillers (try getting diclomax anti-inflamatory pills and co-codomal 30/500 pain killers – any lower strength ones will not work but these ones make you ‘float’ around so do not go driving piste bashers) and just say get on with it, unless you can prove that it is seriously changing your way of life, or you can no longer do your job etc. (3) you may get an MRI scan (4) you will get a MRI scan and you will be operated on within a couple of days

I would suggest you go and see your doctor and describe symptoms (1), (2) and more importantly (3) because you need a MRI scan to see what is wrong, but under UK NHS they will not give you a scan for (1) and (2), so you need to lie a bit and say you are having some periodical pins’n’needles and numbness in your foot; the scan will tell you exactly what the situation is and you can plan what you want to do and how you want to manage the problem.

btw - in the end i went for (1), (2) & (3) and had the operation Very Happy
latest report
How did you get on Stab?
latest report
Poor ol' Staboola - feeling any better? Puzzled
latest report
kind of, been killing it lately on the mountain in the dumb theory that taking it easy was injuring me Laughing
Also dropped my angles down as I think that may have been doing something to me, +21 -18 is hardly good for the body. Still in physio at the moment Sad
snow report
Was worried that you would be taking it easy.
snow report
stab wrote:
+21 -18
What are you, a ballerina ? Confused
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masque, Laughing
+15 -12 now. I got carried away with it all early in the season.
snow report
nigel b, chiropractic can, maybe not always, lead you into woo-ism. It is mostly quackery. As is Osteopathy. Sadly. Free lunches so often let you down...
snow report
stab, As I told you before take some ski lessons
snow report
riverman, I'm going to teach myself. Laughing

I have a confession, today I was looking at some salomon simon dumonts Embarassed and have been out on stockli snakes last week. Embarassed Embarassed

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 26-01-09 23:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
stab, very nice
ski holidays
riverman, wrong pic Embarassed they were the suspects.
latest report
stab, Have you got any Salomon Tornado T1 Z14 for hire
snow report
riverman, no. Got the x wing something or other and those suspects. I'll check as I dont really pay that much attention to the makes of ski, only the sidecut/length.
snow conditions
riverman, after a quick google I think we do have them, maybe not Z14 though, definitely tornado something though.
latest report
northantsred wrote:
A thought just occurred to me stab, do you think skill and talent may be getting overlooked by some inane blindness and desire? Madeye-Smiley

That might be suitable as a T shirt quote for me Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
stab, Will be coming in on the 2nd February to hire something
snow conditions
stab, if you can board or ski then your back isn't too bad
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy