Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pre ski fitness - what do you do?

Poster: A snowHead
red 27, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
red 27, so obvious, but still very very good Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Weathercam, I do not pretend to be an expert. I read what I can find, and if the solution works then I continue if not I accept that either I have misdiagnosed my problem or the advice I read was incorrect/inappropriate.

Stretching muscles, and ligaments, particularly stretching my piriformis and iliotibial band helped last year. However, I stopped jogging so much and that helped even more. I think the problem was my trainers wearing out, or a problem with too much movement in my left ankle. Either way, the problem is solved by stopping the action which caused it.

I am probably incorrect at saying cramp. I accept that, however it feels the same as cramp and it is relieved by stretching. So it has similar symptoms and solutions.

I am probably incorrect too in my memory of the last 10 mile jog which I recorded. It was probably closer to 1200 calories, however I do not think I kept a record of that. One thing I have noticed is that if the battery is low on the transmitter, there are 10-15 minutes wiped off the exercise timer compared to a clock. This usually happens when the arm wearing the watch is fully stretched and so cannot get a good signal from a weak battery.

Being incorrect does not make me wrong though!

rolling eyes
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You can buy old waterskis very cheaply take the Skeg off them and they make quite good all mountain skis. Argos don't sell them but eBay should oblige. You wouldn't need those expensive ski boots but could use those cheap Aldi hiking shoes.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
red 27, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There's "fit" and there's "ski fit" ...............

http://youtube.com/v/gYe_CTM8ofk&feature=related

http://youtube.com/v/tnGorzSm5Rk&feature=related
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For a fitness coach she looks very fond of the pies
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dr John, I thought that, and she has terrible posture. Also I noticed that her breathing seemed laboured - just standing and speaking. Odd. But it looks like a terrific class.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pedantica, and as for the skin. sheesh.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dr John wrote:
For a fitness coach she looks very fond of the pies

Not sure but this might be the same woman .....

http://youtube.com/v/kej6YHWoXWY&feature=related

Slim does not always = fit. Maybe she's getting back into shape after a pregnancy.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As Samerberg Sue knows I'm still in rehab after acl reconstruction, and in that first vid can only dream of doing some of those exercises, as I'm sure she will appreciate, ironic thing is that my physio gave me the all clear this week to do some more dynamic routines - balancing on the Buso ball being one of them, tuesday saw me hacking from side to side trying to emulate a ski type position, net result have a really bad back with a trapped nerve!

Really frustrating just as things were slowly coming together but many of those exercises I will be doing as I have to get my knee ligaments strong and as she said use to the sideways movement - cycing's good but do need to emulate the pressue to the knees generated by agressive skiing.

And totally agree about body shape & fitness, one of my bikram yoga instructors was more of a size 14 but was she flexible & fit, I'm usually pretty fit, but bikram I was all over the place, whilst others who looked as if they'd have trouble cycling up a small hill were ripping it up!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Weathercam, reminds me of the many old codgers with huge beer guts that you see cycling up vertical hills in France, they never cease to amaze me.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pedantica wrote:
Dr John, I thought that, and she has terrible posture. Also I noticed that her breathing seemed laboured - just standing and speaking. Odd. But it looks like a terrific class.

Pop down to my circuit training class then try and conduct an interview on tape and see if your breathing is laboured "just standing and speaking" Little Angel
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Weathercam, yoga isn't exercise, it's sitting down and stretching. A friend of mine is a qualified Bikram yoga teacher. While she has a body to die for and can contort into all sorts of interesting positions, she's frickin useless on the treadmill. Any yoga person who's physically fit has got physically fit through means other than yoga.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski, so you thinking she'd been running around immediately before recording each spoken bit? Possibly. That occurred to me, and I thought probably not, but could be wrong.

Dr John, that's interesting, I had thought there was some aerobic element to Bikram yoga. Does that mean practitioners sweat a lot simply because the room is so hot?
latest report
Pedantica, yes, or else she sweats alot Wink
snow conditions
Dr John, are you just being a Snowhead? Laughing

Getting a feeling of deja vu here, in fact have we not had this debate before?

For sure normal yoga could be deemed to be sitting down and stretching* - but Bikram is on another planet - take a leaf out of Bigtipper,'s book and do a quick Google - look up quotes from Andy Murray & James Cracknell.

In fact read this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/wellbeing/7511582/Bikram-yoga-vs-James-Cracknell.html

I've just read the above again and this quote is so relevant to me Confused
"What I have neglected with years of training is both flexibility and keeping my body in balance, which probably accounts for my injuries and niggles"

As I've said before on here, I've taken some very fit athletes to Bikram and they've been wasted afterwards, quotes like "that's one of the toughest things I've done" are prevalent.

*and even in a silly old church hall I still be failing at 50% of the positions Confused
ski holidays
Recreational skiers probably don't need to be very fit - balance and flexibilty are perhaps more beneficial. A friend of mine has excellent balance - she's slim but not very fit. She grew up in Austria and has skied since a very early age. On easy terrain (e.g. blues and reds) her fantastic balance and technique means she glides down the piste with top form for very little effort. When the terrain starts getting steeper / more challenging (e.g. steep moguls) her form starts to fall apart.
Tops skiers excel in all areas (i.e. Balance, flexibility, aerobic fitness, strength etc).
First time I went skiing I was totally frustrated by the fact that fat Austrians were gliding down the piste while yours truly was a lot fitter and slimmer but sweating like a pig.
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
As I've said before on here, I've taken some very fit athletes to Bikram and they've been wasted afterwards, quotes like "that's one of the toughest things I've done" are prevalent.

It depends what your body is fit for. I've taken Boxers on a bike ride and mountain bike mates into the boxing gym - both groups have struggled.
latest report
DB, which sort of confirms what Cracknell was on about

"What I have neglected with years of training is both flexibility and keeping my body in balance, which probably accounts for my injuries and niggles"

The fit guys I've taken are not that flexible, they also do not listen to the instructor (I was the same for a while), they tend to rely on their fitness and strength, sort of bull in a china shop, no finesse. Main thing is that they do not breathe but hold their breath, quite amusing to see their faces about to explode!

They all love it though as they are aware that they were doing it wrong, and that it's about technique - as they appreciate their failings and want to return to do it well the next time.

Mind you it is only sitting down and stretching Laughing

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 10-11-11 15:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Weathercam, Balance and flexibility are great, but have nowt to do with aerobic fitness, which is what Dr John, was trying to say....you need both to ski all day (unless your a ski a run/coffee/ski a run/lunch/ski a run/beer/go back kinda person!
ski holidays
kitenski, I was writing my response to DB, so didn't see your post - but that's what makes Bikram tough in that it is also aerobic - if you don't get your breathing right you're fecked.

Bikram was more or less the only thing I was doing this time last year and if I went out for a run I was still putting in the sort of times that I'd expect to do if I was in full time training for any one discipline.

Could be boring and link to an old Garmin log but I knocked out 13.1 miles in 1:38:00 on the road one evening without really thinking about it, that's a time I would have been well chuffed with had I been in full on training (running) with months of doing a mixture of intervals / long endurance runs etc etc
latest report
Weathercam,

Yes certain types of Yoga are aerobic.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/413162-does-hot-yoga-provide-a-cardio-workout/

Improved balance and flexibility will greatly help with skiing but perhaps additional exercises for explosive strength and co-ordination are required.
snow report
The picture on the article has James sitting down and stretching. Not disimilar to my original assertion. Yes, Bikram is more challenging, but it's the heat that challenges, nothing else.

I'd point out that James Cracknell finished the session, albeit in a sweating mess (because of the super-heated room, not because of aerobic exercise) . I'd like to see the Yoga teacher take part in a professional athletes training session, lets say a heavily aerobic activity like rowing or cycling. I doubt very much that he/she will be able to complete 90 minutes of that.
latest report
Mollerski wrote:
I do loads of leg work in the gym 3/4 times a week and still get burnin' quads on longer runs. It's a lactic acid tolerance issue, runners and those that take part in endurance sports tend to fair the best.

Going back to this on the first page - I suspect this could be a balance issue. Fitter / stronger people can remain longer in a state of unbalance but a well balanced person will generally hold out much longer.
snow report
burnin quads is often a sign of sitting back as well....
latest report
Pedantica wrote:
Weathercam, reminds me of the many old codgers with huge beer guts that you see cycling up vertical hills in France, they never cease to amaze me.

Wayha, that's me you're talking about.
Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
emwmarine, Laughing Laughing They usually look very typically French (moustache, strings of onions, you know the sort). Are you French? wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
non.

But I have an apartment in Val Thorens.

Slightly overweightish (81 kgs 6 2), no moustache, do eat lots of garlic and onions, and sport that bloated MAMIL lycra look on a bike very effectively. Also sweat profusely as I go up the near vertical hills.

That should paint the picture a bit more. Blush
snow report
emwmarine, delightful. Carry on!
ski holidays
Lol - guys... The balance James Cracknell was talking about was not balance as in standing on one leg...

He said he had failed to keep his body "in balance" - huge difference!! I.e. he had trained on the same limited exercises (rowing, running, weights I imagine) with no concern for variation; and that he was worse off for this.

The balance he found lacking was that of variety. He's saying that to use just strength and endurance related exercise, without balance - more types/styles of exercise on top - left him open to injuries and small issues which affected his performance.

Gaining balance in training, in my mind (it's a strange place) is the organic farming principle in another form:

Intensive farming of single crops creates infertile land (which cannot be used for most purposes without additional non-natural input) and weak hedgerows, potentially ruining the ecosystem and limiting the capacity of the land when you ask it to do something other than what you originally intended. It does make for good corn/rape etc and rowers/single discipline athletes, if you ignore their susceptibility to injury (or disease for mono-culture crops; hence why you need so many insecticides/chemicals).

Core strength, flexibility, strength of ligament, agility, use of muscle groups lesser exercised cannot all come from the more mainstream exercise regimes. Mix it up!

Consider though that something as mainstream as football can give all of these awesome things; it's really the gym-centric exercises that lack it. The exceptions being exercises like the medicine ball semi-squats in the video with the (sorry) HOT girl. That's introducing some lateral forces (much like ski-ing) which would otherwise rarely be felt/experienced. Great stuff. Medicine ball situps / towing a sled on the move - also awesome (dynamism of exercise also nowadays hugely recognised as beneficial, since again it's lesser used muscles/skeletal stuff).

Basic cv without some of these more modern concepts is like non-carving skiing. It's fine, sort of, it's just a little out of date and not as effective as the newer idea of balance/variety (and yoga!!).

Interestingly - I don't see anyone here pushing yoga as a be-all, end-all exercise (correctly), I do however see lots of people who I expect also lack the balance/variety of an ex-Olympic level rower knocking it. I say to those guilty ; open your mind and consider that incredibly successful athletes go to yoga and it gets them results... E.g. When you can run a marathon in 2hrs 33mins like my yoga-attending housemate - and have researched or even better experienced the effects of it - feel free to knock it wink i don't see that happening because even the variety alone will bring you huge benefits. Please consider also that no-one is saying (I hope) that cv-focused exercises can be replaced by it. Variety/balance is key wink
snow conditions
JaMMi, all very interesting, but let's not lose sight of the fact that 99% of british skiers only need to be fit enough to haul their lardy @rse onto a chair lift and get to the lunch hut without straining something. And to that end; getting a sweat up on the treadmill, popping some squats and chucking a few random weights around is more than enough.
latest report
To be honest for the English ski tourist - an aerobic type of yoga looks ideal. Flexibility, balance and a bit of aerobic fitness training.
latest report
DB, what aerobic type of yoga would that be?
latest report
Dr John wrote:
DB, what aerobic type of yoga would that be?

Power yoga or Bikram yoga. I've tried Power yoga and you do the exercises without a break which puts you in the aerobic zone.
snow report
emwmarine,
Quote:
Slightly overweightish (81 kgs 6 2)

I'm the same height and and would love to be "slightly overweightish".

I find keeping fit extremely boring now I've stopped playing football and rugby. So I started to run at my local 5k Parkrun to inject a bit of a competitive, as well as social, element to my regime. Well, my competitive nature certainly surfaced, and I've been extremely motivated since being beaten a couple of weeks ago by a woman.

Now, before you (women) turn purple with rage at the implication of the previous sentence, it wasn't her gender that motivated me but the fact that she is 68.

I didn't know this as I trailed her by a couple of metres for the entire 5k, she even out-sprinted me to the finish line. I honestly thought I'd been beaten by a woman who'd gone prematurely grey. It was only when the results and times were posted online that I discovered her age.
ski holidays
jzBun wrote:
emwmarine,
Quote:
Slightly overweightish (81 kgs 6 2)

I'm the same height and and would love to be "slightly overweightish".

I find keeping fit extremely boring now I've stopped playing football and rugby. So I started to run at my local 5k Parkrun to inject a bit of a competitive, as well as social, element to my regime. Well, my competitive nature certainly surfaced, and I've been extremely motivated since being beaten a couple of weeks ago by a woman.

Now, before you (women) turn purple with rage at the implication of the previous sentence, it wasn't her gender that motivated me but the fact that she is 68.

I didn't know this as I trailed her by a couple of metres for the entire 5k, she even out-sprinted me to the finish line. I honestly thought I'd been beaten by a woman who'd gone prematurely grey. It was only when the results and times were posted online that I discovered her age.

I dropped from 95 kegs through cycling. I too had to stop rugby and find my achilles complain with running.

Lots of cycling and a regimented diet during the week of just soup for lunch and limited carbs.
ski holidays
Quote:
...a regimented diet during the week...

Does a pecan and maple Danish every morning count as regimented.
latest report
jzBun wrote:
Quote:
...a regimented diet during the week...

Does a pecan and maple Danish every morning count as regimented.

So long as you stick to it Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I just stumbled across this (linked from elatemedia tips to profoot pages to this) and it looks very interesting. Could be twaddle but seems to make good sense... I imagine it's bloomin' expensive but for those with similar issues, perhaps an avenue to explore ;

http://youtube.com/v/-Hx1dasYmr8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://youtube.com/v/nc9XpdLwBtw&feature=youtube_gdata_player
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy