Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Finlay Mickel ups his game

Poster: A snowHead
I know it's not the place [Mod: it is now - with this new thread!] for this but I've just checked the Wengen results and Finlay Mickel has got a 16th place, good on him.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
He could still slip back a place or two if some of the late starters have a special run - there's another 20 or so of the 'slower' racers to come - but it's looking good...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Mexican/German skier von Hohenlohe raced today in the Lauberhorn. He came last by a considerable margin, finishing sixteen and a half seconds after the race winner. Surely there are more appropriate levels of skiing that he should compete in?

Well done to Finlay. He seems to have found a good streak of form, and with a bit of luck will score a top 10 result soon.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar.org.uk, have a look at the Ghanian Skier thread in snowNews. I've posted there about this Von Hohenlohe. He's 45 but has quite a bit of 'previous' but it sounds as though he's getting past it from that result.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kuwait_ian, I posted before this thread was split and was referring to your info about von Hohenlohe. I'm not convinced that the highest level of any sport, particularly when it is for individuals rather than national teams, should be used for the sporting equivalent of 'vanity publishing'. There are plenty of other competitions that skiers of the calibre of von Hohenlohe could compete sensibly.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar.org.uk, OK understood. And I tend to agree with you about him.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Finlay Mickel's current preparation and thinking is explored in this interview for today's Scotsman.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I agree about von Hohenlohe, but on the other hand, even though he looked pretty bad in yesterdays' combined, he did finish both parts without having to hike, and I remember Nigel Smith looking equally as useless on the Lauberhorn slalom hill. Nigel was British champion in downhill and had several years on the world cup circuit - normally rated around 40 - 50 if I remember. BTW he started at Sandown on the plastic.

I don't suppose there are any of us who would dare try it, let alone get down - it was clearly extraordinarily icy this year on both courses. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's slalom proper - let's see how many "real" slalom skiers end up upside down! Twisted Evil
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yep the slalom course is about 35 degrees for some of the course and having made the mistake of going down it last year before the sun got on it I can tell you that sheet of ice would not be an unfair description
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Very easy to rubbish Mr Hohenlohe - considering that he has not trained fully like the rest of them he did in fact ski incredibly well and for 45 well 'nuff said!

What it does show is how brilliant the current skiers are - even if they are 3 or 4 seconds behind because the Mexcian- Austrian skier does actually ski extremley well - if some one had not noticed the Lauberhorn courses are a wee bit tricky - 97 mph on the downhill!

That he is there did stumulate some debate so his participation had its merits.......
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Was von Hohenlohe the one wearing a pink helmet? If so, the fashion police should have carted him off!!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Elizabeth B, ... if they could catch him.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A couple of the ski jumpers in the 4 hills were wearing pink helmets one even had matching pink face mask.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Konrad, I'm not trying to downplay von Hohenlohe's skiing ability - anybody who goes near a DH course gets nothing but my admiration (at whatever age). But I think he would be better suited to a competition closer his ability rather than trailing a long distance behind the top WC skiers (it must be a great disappointment to finish 15 seconds behind the winner?). Is there a DH competition for the Europa Cup circuit or similar?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thought Finlay's recovery on the jump was terrific. The TV coverage was very good, the wide and distant angles gave better perception of depth and speed. I usually find skiing on the telly a bit dull
snow report
It's a shame that we're not getting to see much of our other British skiers though, unless they're being shown on Channel 4 at some un-godly hour? Sad How are they doing?
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Thought Finlay's recovery on the jump was terrific. The TV coverage was very good, the wide and distant angles gave better perception of depth and speed. I usually find skiing on the telly a bit dull

Quite amazing recovery from the jump, I thought. Yup, the TV coverage was very good indeed.
snow conditions
Tony Ellwood, news on www.snowracers.net ref Chemmy's problems (health), as well as the Baxter brothers who are struggling to find form this season.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, several nearly came a cropper there, the way Finlay came down he was lucky not to have been injured. It's a dangerous sport - even in the slalom! This photo from a FIS last week in Courch.

snow conditions
PG, who took that? Breathtaking photo!
latest report
PG, I've seen that photo before.......... its taken nr Glen Shee on a windy day and shows a desperate skier clinging on to a piste marker pole. Seconds late the skier was swept down the slope by the wind wink .
Quote:

It's a dangerous sport

3 day eventers, free-divers, and ski racers...................All completely certifiable. (edit: m"but all very nice people I'm sure Very Happy )
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, Laughing
latest report
article in today's Daily Telegraph (you may need to register)
ski holidays
Here's an article from Reuters about the World Cup 'exotic' skiers from the nations you might not expect to enter this level of competition. On page 2 our friend von Hohenlohe makes a welcome re-appearance. He finished 60 in a field of 154 from 56 countries - which is well in the middle of the pack this time.
Quote:
But as America's top gun tumbled, the finest skiers from Cyprus, Iceland and Senegal soared - or at least, made it down the hill in one piece.

"The track was very long and difficult, but I like it like that," said Johnatan Longhi, a 16-year-old Brazilian who was taken off the streets and adopted by an Italian family at the age of four.

"I would love to become famous in Brazil and do something for my country, but for now I just want to become a good skier and maybe do some races in the Europa Cup."

Exotic skiers from the so-called "small nations" have long been a part of the world championships, with the International Ski Federation (FIS) keen to raise the sport's profile in non-traditional skiing countries.
If snowHead snowleopard does make it into FIS Racing he will find lots of similar skiers for company. Including a Canadian-Madagascar skier who has already met the qualifying standard. See here from firstracksonline.

Oh and picking up on PG's post further up this topic both the Baxter brothers performed very well. snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
Back on topic, here's a great little article by Graham Bell on BBC Sports which discusses Finlay's recent super results and those of the other top flight UK snowsports athletes with a view to Turin next year.
Quote:
The Scot, along with Chemmy Alcott, Alain Baxter, and the snowboarders Lesley McKenna and Zoe Gillings, will go to Turin with the potential to finish inside the top 10.

And with the way winter sports work, that means they then have a very real chance of winning a medal.

And this comment about Alain Baxter "He seems to have been skiing really fast in training but it has not clicked for him at all in any races this year. With most athletes it is 80% mental. With Alain it seems to be 99% mental."
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy