Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone in Engelberg - 31Jan/1Feb?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm in Engelberg with the SCGB (a Ski Freshtracks off-piste week) 25-30 Jan, but staying on for the weekend, leaving Sun mid pm. Anyone else there who fancies meeting up?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hi GrahamN i am planning to be there with my friend Matt so would be good to meet up for a ski

just trying to sort out accom at the moment, is there anywhere well priced and close to the lift that you can recommend?

we're heading home on sunday via zurich so might be able to give you a lift back to the airport if you need it
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ooh good.

I'm staying in the Youth Hostel for the Sat night. I think it's fairly close to the lift, but a bit of a walk from the bus station. Dorm bed was CHF36, but with CHF11 supplements for non-member staying only 1 night. With 2 of you I would guess a hotel would be more affordable. The SCGB group is staying in the Schweizerhof, close to the bus station. I was quoted about £100 for an extension, but that was pretty much the same as for 2 people. I've never been there before so have no local knowledge. I think kitenski is a bit of an Engelberg old hand, so he may have better advice for you. Ah just remembered I picked up a directory of cheap Swiss hotels a few weeks ago, I'll see if I can find it and post later.

For the return I'm on the 19:00 BA flight to LGW. I have a Swiss Transfer Ticket, so don't actually need a lift, but if we're heading for the same flight, it may end up more convenient - although I guess luggage may be an issue. Thanks for the offer.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Roger C wrote:
hi GrahamN i am planning to be there with my friend Matt so would be good to meet up for a ski

just trying to sort out accom at the moment, is there anywhere well priced and close to the lift that you can recommend?

we're heading home on sunday via zurich so might be able to give you a lift back to the airport if you need it

I've stayed here the past 2 years, very close to the lift, 10min stroll into town, naked sauna/steam rooms...

http://www.cathrin-engelberg.ch/

A friend stayed here, which was closer to town,cheaper and he said it was fine, but further from the lifts...

Hotel Alpina
Erlenweg 34
6390 Engelberg, Switzerland
041 637 13 40‎
041 637 45 49‎ - Fax

This year I'm trying somewhere else that's quieter than Engelberg....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Right on cue snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've stayed at the Hotel Bellevue. It was cheap for a double room/shared bath. Also convenient being across the street from the train station. It can be a little loud as the Yucatan bar is on the ground floor, and the hotel itself seems to be completely full of Swedes (not unlike the rest of Engelberg, though).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Roger C, Cathrin is good and 3 min walk from the lift if you cut through the houses. It is an obvious path. Andrea will sort out the lift pass for you as well and it will it waiting at the desk for you in the morning. The pass is electronic and you can get the Swiss version of Carre Niege..altho' I can't recall what they call it...

Everyone ends up at the Yucatan for apre by the station....or the big hotels

Slopes to enjoy mostly all end up on the bottom half of the glacier...the Klein Sulz friom Jochstok..or the Gros Sulz from Titlis..you will need to navigate the top crevasses and the ice ridge which aren't a problem in good snow. Galtiberg is a must if you have the conditions and I'd think you'd want a guide. The Laub is good but watch out for the fence at the bottom if gunning it..which you have to do to reach the restro. If you eat there...he might give you a lift back to the gondola..and this is worth it as it is an ugly walk...

Another nice pitch is under or round the top Jochstock chair..and into the valley and the lake...or you can hike up the big face that is off to the right of the chair and afew hundred mtrs higher.....it is right in front of you..it may of may not have tracks but it is an obviuos col to stomp...expect 35-45 mins and admire your tracks everytime you use that chair...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
off to Engelberg tomorrow night Very Happy

GrahamN hopefully see you on Sat morning

eventually got some accomodation booked today, hotel Bellvue by the station, hope it's ok

i'm expecting the resort to be busy as all the other hotels seemed full.......
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Any trip reports? I'm off there in 10 sleeps time Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ray Zorro enjoy!

A brief report is as follows:

Matt and I arrived at about midnight on friday, we sunk a couple of swift ones at the Yucatan then went to sleep as we were meeting Graham at 830am saturday at the titlis lift station. Bus from hotel to lift all very efficient as was the service at the ticket office so we were quickyl heading up.

Graham took us on the red pistes below Jochstock to suss out how bad our technique is Very Happy. Once he knew what he'd let himself in for we did a couple of nice off piste descents skiers right of Jochstock, great fun Very Happy Then we headed up to the top of Titlis and skied just of the side of the piste and watched a bloke taking off on skis and parachure! Then we did the unpisted run down - a hideous mogul field - not recommended Twisted Evil

Then we did the Laub - what can I say? Fantastic run, great snow but the fog in the valley made finding the Ritz resto a bit difficult Laughing A couple more runs I cant remember then skied back down and headed for the Eden Bar (4-6pm happy hour, half price beer - nice!)

Sunday more of the same including another run on the Laub, this time we could actually see all the way down to town. Also we did a hike of about 5 mins from the top of Jochstock lift that gave us some nice fresh stuff down a valley on skiers left of piste map and also skied down past the lowest lift to get more fresh turns but the walk back up to the lift was long enough for me to realise that Himalayan trekking is not for me!!!!

All in all a cracking weekend and thanks very much to GrahamN for showing us the way down the off piste Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Roger C, nice one - thanks for that. snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sounds like a good trip, the Laub has been shut on both my trips there Sad
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ray Zorro no probs, was a good excuse to try and remember all those runs Very Happy

kitenski, that's a pity, but a good excuse to go back anyway!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks Roger C, and Matt, it was a super weekend to round off a great week. The runs we finished Saturday with were from Stand down the bottom half of Steinberg and from Jochstock to skiers' left of the Klein Sulz, and then a final run from Rindertitlis (where you took the pistes and I took the less sensible option of the really heavy crud above the cliffs).

Ray Zorro, have a good time. I should brush up on your off-piste technique, as that's what the place is really about. You should be able to polish off the pistes in about a day max. but could spend several weeks finding out all the intricacies of the off-piste.

Here are a few photos

Entry to the Laub (a few days prior to the weekend) looking particularly dramatic with the cloud down at the bottom of it

Kite skier launching off, and heading off above the Galtiberg entrance

Roger C and Matt at the end of our hike above the Jochstock

The run from Jochstock to Engstlensee. Sorry guys, although we found some nice stuff down there, this shows how much better it was earlier in the week - soft untracked snow until we got there and perfect vis - I'd even forgotten how good it was myself until I looked at this pic again.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy