Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanche in Glencoe (Not White Corries ski area)

Poster: A snowHead
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7848934.stm

Quote:
It is believed there are three casualties involved in the incident, which happened on Saturday.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
arv, I just saw that. I also noticed the spelling mistake on the photo caption Toofy Grin

Hope everyone is okay.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Buachaille Etive Mor - one of my favourite mountains. Crying or Very sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
laundryman, and mine. Can't get the link to open at the moment.

[edit] Got it. Let's hope for good news.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bbc now reporting three climbers have died. Very sad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ickabodblue, Sad
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ickabodblue, Thats very sad news. Sad
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Also a big slide on Aonach Mor on the East edge of the Nid Ridge, seems to have been a natural slide with no people involved. Beware, and stay safe, avalanche risk is only going to be higher tomorrow. Very sad news from the Buachaille, apparently two unrelated groups caught up. Sad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I belive the avi risk has been posted as very high, so lets hope that people take note. A very sad situation in an area I know well.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I find it hard to come to terms with something like this as I don't usually associate Scotland with being particularly dangerous in terms of slides as most of my skiing is done in or around the pisted areas. (Obviously apart from someone being caught on the Fly paper at Glencoe a while back.. Haggis Trap can probably give a little more info if anyone is interested).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just got back from Glencoe and saw part of the rescue. The conditions were terrible with heavy snow showers giving white out conditions at times. We watched the Royal Navy Rescue helicopter try to get up the Buachaille and have to turn back because of the conditions. He landed, gave it a few more minutes then he managed to get up the mountain between a gap in the weather, seriously dangerous flying conditions.
Here are some pictures I took:

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sage wrote:
Just got back from Glencoe and saw part of the rescue. The conditions were terrible with heavy snow showers giving white out conditions at times. We watched the Royal Navy Rescue helicopter try to get up the Buachaille and have to turn back because of the conditions. He landed, gave it a few more minutes then he managed to get up the mountain between a gap in the weather, seriously dangerous flying conditions.

Mate, these guys aren't stupid. They have families and they won't go if it's too risky. Not surprised to hear that they set down and waited.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A very good friend of mine died when an RAF chopper struck the hillside with it's rotor blades on a rescue just like this.
As careful as the pilots are these things do still happen and hats off to the men and women who still fly on days like this to rescue others.

Sad sad news about the three dead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Telegraph website has a full report on the avalanche:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/4333805/Three-killed-in-Highlands-avalanche.html
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fastandicy, was that the incident near Crianlarach a few years back? I was talking to a guy last summer who had been out on that rescue and witnessed the chopper accident. He said that it played on his mind for years.
ski holidays
Elizabeth B, Ben More 1987 is the one i'm referring to. Dunno if that's the one you mean.
Was the guy you were talking to one of the Killin mountain rescue team? If so that'll probably be the one. The rest of the team watched it happen. My dad was a member of the team and Harry a very good family friend who tragically died.
snow report
We were up at glencoe skiing on saturday and didn't hear about this until we got home... sad sad news Sad

worrying thing is though, is that there were notices up at the lifts and on notice board at the ski area about flypaper being closed due to the high risk. I still managed to have a conversation with a couple of different lads who had both decided that the avi risk was "a load of rubbish" and that they had both been down flypaper a couple of times on saturday. idiots...

just say they had been caught in a slide on a closed area with hardly anyone going past that way!

condolences to any family or friends of the climbers...
snow report
fastandicy, yeah, that's the one. The guy wasn't a member of the Killin team, but was in the area and had volunteered to help in the search. It's easy to forget the real risk that MRT members put themselves in to help others.
ski holidays
Very sad news indeed but given the amount of snow no great surprise sadly.

We heard about it from the ski patrol at Glencoe, apparently one of the Glencoe staff members had been called out to help. I think they mobilised every qualified/experienced person they could find to help in the search.

We then saw the rescue operation and helicopters as we were heading down to Fort William at the end of the day.

Not sure if anyone can enlighten me but it seems that climbers don't carry shovels, probes and transceivers - why is this?

It strikes me they might have been able to dig people out far faster if they had this equipment - one of the party has talked about spending half an hour digging someone out with his bare hands, how much quicker would it have been with a shovel?
snow report
roga, such kit would rarely be carried by winter climbers, where keeping carried gear to a minimum can itself be a necessity for safety. Unlike skiers, climbers to not seek out the most snow loaded slopes, thus avoidance and route selection are the weapons of choice against avalanche danger. It seems from accounts in the public domain that this was more of a walking accident than a climbing one with the larger group caught up.

Probes, shovels and beacons offer no protection against trauma in an avalanche. The odds are if your caught you'll end up dead one way or the other. A lesson perhaps Scottish Skiers need to learn before it's too late?
latest report
Yeah, I can see the logic of what you say but surely if there's any danger, and there most definitely is in the winter, it'd be a potential lifesaver to at least carry a probe and shovel?

What's the drill in the Alps, is it different to what happens in Scotland?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy