Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Seventeen Dead...

Poster: A snowHead
achilles wrote:
David Goldfish, truly? When have you done that? [skied with Gunnar Munthe, Krazy Kangaruh]

Back in the days when I could ski with a former manager of the US Ski Team (his one-time occupation) without sh1tting myself. I used to go up to Galzig on the first cablecar (8am). Once you get up there you find lots of groomed snow (or lucky new powder) and fun people for having a whizz. Gunnar's certainly one of them.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w, bear in mind that there's a 'what the market will stand' bonus on top of the risk-assessed cost though. Laughing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Goldsmith, cool.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
achilles, I Googled Gunnar to check the spelling of his name and found this:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/article516408.ece [4th and 5th paras]

I've a feeling we discussed this piece when it came out. Nothing to do with helmets, of course! [but Swiller won't care]
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I mentioned that on average a large resort like Chamonix had on average 6 deaths a year piste/off piste/village in a season and was laughed at.

Not sure about the helmet legislation being effective as most of the poeple being killed are older
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ordhan wrote:
I mentioned that on average a large resort like Chamonix had on average 6 deaths a year piste/off piste/village in a season and was laughed at.

Not sure about the helmet legislation being effective as most of the poeple being killed are older

That does seem to be a hugely high figure, given that the total number of skie/snowboard deaths across the whole of France was 22 according to the figures above.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bode Swiller wrote:
Seventeen Dead...

Could you give us an update on that figure, Swiller? The lifts have now closed for the day.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
alex_heney wrote:
Ordhan wrote:

That does seem to be a hugely high figure, given that the total number of skie/snowboard deaths across the whole of France was 22 according to the figures above.

Remember the ENSA figures exclude "out of bounds" accidents. Chamonix has climbing deaths of course. Here is some data

http://pistehors.com/news/forums/viewthread/167/

I believe the figure is something like 50 deaths per year on the French side of Mont Blanc. I'm sure there must be at least a dozen in the other big ranges like the Ecrins.

I don't know about the claim of 6 deaths in resort per season but it is not impossible all things taken into account (excl. natural causes).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
alex_heney, I am including people killed in towns like the poor girl last week, climbers not just ski related but resort related.

I do stand to be corrected as it is a Guestemiate
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Goldfish wrote:
Bode Swiller wrote:
Seventeen Dead...

Could you give us an update on that figure, Swiller? The lifts have now closed for the day.

Perhaps a "ticker" in a window next to the snowHeads logo... Season Deaths So Far... Click, there goes another. Sponsorship opportunity maybe.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Grim Swiller wrote:

Perhaps a "ticker" in a window next to the snowHeads logo... Season Deaths So Far...

Good creative thinking, except that you need graphics that are more associated with death: crucifixes, creepy figures in black cloaks, skulls, that sort of thing.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

cfc5mu0

"Ambulance surgeon Christian Kaulfersch of Schladming hospital said: "Crashes at 30mph are like a fall straight onto concrete from the second floor."

ouch

Only if you ski into a brick wall.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
P10DW, or more realistically, a tree.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles wrote:
P10DW, or more realistically, a tree.
I skied into a tree twenty years ago. I don't do that now. I am worried that a fat Austrian with a helmet on is more likely to ski into me than when not wearing a helmet. Would the woman who recently died have lived if the skier she collided with been helmet free?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Does anyone else think this is an incredibly morbid thread...?

Not trying to diminish the tragedies of the people who do lose their lives in the mountains, but as a proportion of people who enjoy the mountains, they are thankfully very few...

There are safety guidelines in place, and on the whole they appear to be adhered to, with a few minor exceptions. However, accidents happen in all walks of life, tragic but true. Do we go about our daily lives constantly thinking we might die in a road crash...?

I, for one, do not want my thrill and enjoyment of a winter holiday to be clouded by a load of morbid statistics. If there are going to be clouds, then let them be of the snowy variety please...

Lighten up people. Pessimism is a depressing concept...
snow conditions
People will always die/get seriously injured in any sport. Regardless of what "facts" are posted non-helmet preferrers will claim its a conspiracy and helmet evangelists will seize on it.

Personal preference, if they become mandatory in all resorts ski off -resort if it offends you so much or pick your country accordingly. If you wear one don't make a big deal about it - you've only bought a lottery ticket, its better than not having one at all but doesn't guarantee you'll be lucky, same as any safety gear. Good decision making will alwyas trump gear.
snow report
Or simply ski slower and live longer Very Happy
snow report
queen bodecia wrote:
Does anyone else think this is an incredibly morbid thread...?

Not really, but I find Swiller an incredibly morbid person.
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
Or simply ski slower and live longer Very Happy
Or ski slower and get mown down.
ski holidays
Good point. Match the speed of anyone who's likely to crash into you and you're unlikely to get in trouble. Never stop to admire the scenery or talk to anybody. Just get to the end of the run - it's a lot less long than you think.

Keep death off the piste.
snow conditions
STOP THE BRUTAL GROOMING Toofy Grin
snow report
Sounds like better life expectancy than vegetating on the couch.
snow report
stanton, you're getting boring on that subject. The holiday punter wants a pisted slope - if you don't like it, buy some touring skis.
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
stanton, you're getting boring on that subject. The holiday punter wants a pisted slope

Really?
ski holidays
stanton, yes, really. Get over it.
snow report
stanton wrote:
Lizzard wrote:
stanton, you're getting boring on that subject. The holiday punter wants a pisted slope

Really?

Of course the great majority do rolling eyes
snow conditions
I agree with stanton, the white autostrada we all love to blast down, are a magnet for unskilled, unprepared, over equipped snowH . . . numpties Twisted Evil

However the stats are skewed, we're calculating the ratio of deaths and injury to people engaged in an active sport for which a huge number are only occasional participants. As an analogy, what would be the death/injury ratios if we took only data from people raised in a non-mechanical rural environment and then let loose to walk around a busy city centre Confused
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
I agree with stanton, the white autostrada we all love to blast down, are a magnet for unskilled, unprepared, over equipped snowH . . . numpties Twisted Evil

What, you mean recreational skiers? Stopping the grooming of slopes would be the quickest way to kill the ski industry as we know it. I'm sure that old misery-guts stanton would be happy with that outcome, but I doubt you would?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorry, I like nice groomed pistes. I start to enjoy myself less if it gets more difficult and I'm sure many 'recreational' skiers feel the same as I do. I'm happy to leave that sort of thing to the off-piste brigade...
ski holidays
Bode Swiller wrote:
This is the equally shocking stat: Austrian authorities predict 5,500 serious head injuries on the slopes this season, and Swiss resorts report about 150 cases every day.

From the article linked to in the News section on the Austrian sledging accident:

Quote:
This season in Austria there will be at least 55,000 skiing and sledging injuries and 10% of the victims will suffer head inuries, the Austrian traffic safety committee said.

So it's 5,500 head injuries in total, not serious injuries.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
Stopping the grooming of slopes would be the quickest way to kill the ski industry as we know it.

Rob, this seems a slight departure for you ... indulging in wild hyperbole. "... kill the ski industry as we know it" would not actually be the outcome. The vast amounts of fuel consumed by Kassbohrer machines would not be burned. Skiing would become more sustainable and safe. Skiers would rediscover skills they have lost.

The sport would become less Disneyfied and more dignified.

Stanton should not be shot down on this specific issue. I'm not saying he's 100% right, but the grooming could be scaled back from this time onwards.
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, the idea that snow groomers make a non-negligible contribution to CO2 emissions is laughable. Do the maths.
snow report
David Goldsmith, as a resuklt of which, lots of holidaymakers would cease to do it and therefore lots more people would be out of a job and resorts would close/contract as a result of the fall in demand. Which would indeed be the end of the industry 'as we know it'.
snow conditions
laundryman, thank you for using my correct surname.
snow report
Lizzard, no-one would be able to fly or drive to the Alps in the Goldsmithian dystopia, which would certainly kill skiing as we know it.
snow report
Climbers don't demand groomed terrain.

Golfers certainly do. But it doesn't result in death on the 13th green.

We're trying to reduce the death toll here.
snow conditions
David Goldsmith, not hyperbole, IMO. I'd say that No grooming = 90% reduction in skier numbers over a 10 year period. Resorts would completely shut with that level of reduced business. Bet you'd be happy though.

Your point about the CO2 emissions from pistebashers is just silly rolling eyes
ski holidays
A number of perfectly-groomed posters to this thread seem to be crushing, rolling and raking any counter-argument.

How is it that this vast sport has only about three ski areas internationally which consciously and deliberately refuse to groom snow?

Where's the choice? People almost certainly ski slower and more skilfully in places like La Grave, Alagna (not sure if it still has the policy), and Mad River Glen.
ski holidays
David Goldfish wrote:
People almost certainly ski slower and more skilfully in places like La Grave

Blimey, you're right! I'd forgotten the well known beginners resort La Grave which could be a model for all the current ski areas to aspire to rolling eyes

David the kind of extremism that you advocate in many different ways on this forum indicates to me that you have no regard for the "common skier" and that you would be happy to sacrifice the enjoyment of millions of people who look forward to a week or two in the mountains each year.
snow report
ousekjarr, Thank you for the clarification. Sledging has always been more dangerous than skiing. there was a sledging death at Box Hill when I was a kid - the person sledged straight off the little wall at the bottom and into a car!

davidof, thank you too.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy