Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What bits and pieces should be in my backpack

Poster: A snowHead
Exactly DG..... of course after posting an up to the second snowreport on snowheads snowHead

Ad
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
buns, Of course, fellow snowheads can of course expect frequent updates from Wengen whilst I'm there snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Back to the original point of what to carry in your backpack..

Whatever you carry, put it in a plastic bag to keep it dry (important if you spend as much time on yer backside as I did (do)), EXCEPT - and this is the bit I discovered last year - don't put your drink in the plastic bag! If you fall over and crush your sarnies, disposable camera, etc - not a disaster but if you crush your orange juice carton and it's in the plastic bag with everything else, the contents of your backpack will be drowned. No walkie-talkie, no spare gloves, gungy goggles....what a mess!! Embarassed

Still, as the OJ stayed in the plastic bag, at least I didn't leave a trail of orange snow behind me... Cool
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Red Leon, that's one of the reasons I only ever carry plastic bottles, much less likely to split than cartoons or heavy tins
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A flask of coffee and a picnic lunch - always seems to upset parents with families on a nice sunny day to see someone enjoying a picnic lunch at a fraction of the cost that they will be spending in a mountain restaurant. Plus, if you pick a good spot, you get entertainment thrown in for free (almost literally sometimes!).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Wallet, phone, goggles/sunnies, piste map, camera (possibly). If it doesn't fit in my pockets then it doesn't go. If I plan to go anywhere out of the ordinary then thats different.

I think we can go a bit overboard with kit when piste skiing. You're generally never away from lots of people and a restaurant/bar is again generally only short run away.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Caspar, We usually invite them to join us as they look bored and lonely wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yup, I'm with you, Ken, though I'd probably take a (small) bottle of water and a chocolate bar as well (actually instead of the camera, cos I'm not into taking pics).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman,
You can almost hear them saying "we should be doing that".
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Caspar, Sorry Caspar, I meant the other way round, we are the family. The time and effort needed to obtain, make and carry 5 pack lunches is just impractical. In La Plagne earlier this week we found a lovely mountain restaurant where for 10 euros you could buy a delicious Ham Omlette and chips plus a drink. Hot, filling, nutricious, delicious, sociable......the list goes on. Each to their own I suppose. My family tend to treat it as a holiday rather then just skiing.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty the Snowman,
It's a holiday to me too. I appreciate the logistical difficulties when you have children and I don't do it every day myself (not once on my last trip). Sometimes though, it's really nice to sit and eat your lunch in the sunshine at a spot you choose yourself. The deciding factor is usually whether or not I can be bothered to make a packed lunch before leaving whatever accomodation I'm staying in.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I find the back-protector that I bought for my rucksac very reassuring. It was relatively cheap - from one of those on-line shops that sell lots of avalanche protection gear.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Personally I do not carry a thing, not even in my pockets, as I have a wife who carries in her backpack something for every eventuality! But before we go out my wife does check I've got clean underpants on.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chris, At last a voice of reason, however surely you can get more than a day out of a pair of shreddies Shocked
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Anyone who carry's backpack in Cable Cars should be forced to remove them & hold them above there heads Very Happy
latest report
stanton,
Imagine the kind of person who wears the backpack on their back and catches people with it every time they move - do you really want them to be swinging them about above their heads? Confused
ski holidays
Precisely ! If your hiking up/touring I can understand . Otherwise, what else do you need one for in a fully serviced ski area ? Puzzled
snow report
stanton, so you have the bits mentioned in the thread above. Very Happy

And as the only person in the family to wear one, to carry everybody elses stuff. Mad
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy