Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva (Swiss Side) car hire Courtesy bus charge.

Poster: A snowHead
Just opend the post and have an invoice from National Alamo of £8.07 (already charged to my Credit Card) for a bussing charge Shocked Shocked
Have phoned Holiday Auto's, awaiting a call back. Ironically we walked back to the Terminal because the queue was so long on our return!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Somebody else just reported the same charge. It's outrageous!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=47867#1135210
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You should dispute that charge with your credit card company. Unless Alamo have buried something deep in the small print I'd guess that they are taking an unauthorised charge from your card and they should be required to prove that it is legitimate.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A quick reaction from Holiday Autos ....they are refunding the amount that National Alamo have charged me.
Holiday Auto's have only recently become aware that National are invoicing their customers seperately.
National Alamo WILL CONTINUE TO LEVY THE CHARGE AT GENEVA. Even if you do not use the bus Shocked Shocked

I promised to emphasise that Holiday Auto's are refunding this charge. National will continue to charge their customers. Confused
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Good for Holiday Autos. Bet they won't stop using Alamo for rentals though...
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Reading between the lines I'd imagine that GVA are charging the car hire cos for the provision of this new "courtesy" bus and that Alamo are attempting to pass on the cost to the customer.

Outrageous indeed.

Anyone know if they're moving back to P2 when the airport work is finished ?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
brian wrote:
Reading between the lines I'd imagine that GVA are charging the car hire cos for the provision of this new "courtesy" bus and that Alamo are attempting to pass on the cost to the customer.

Outrageous indeed.

Anyone know if they're moving back to P2 when the airport work is finished ?

That's what I assumed as well. No idea if the plan is to move back when refurbishment of the original car park is complete, but I did ask at the counter last time I collected a car and the Alamo rep said it was a permanent move. I'm hiring with Budget next week - I'll double check about bus charges before I sign the agreement.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar, Do you have to go with whatever company they allocate, when you book with HA? If one has a choice, it would seem sensible to decline a car from Alamo at present, wouldn't it?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hurtle, you have to go with whatever company you are allocated to, and you don't know that until after you have completed the booking.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hate to add to the 'bad news' - but my booking voucher has just come through from Holiday Autos and specifically states there will be a 9CHF charge for the bus.

There is no mention of whether this is per person, single or return etc.

I think it is illegal though if it is compulsory as it wasn't made known to me until AFTER I had confirmed the booking and paid - under UK law I am fairly certain it needed to be in the T's and C's.

TBH the deal I got on the car hire is such that it is ok, just annoying, I will certainly argue if I have to pay it both ways, and I will definitely only pay it for me, not the family.

Either way I will take it up with Holiday Autos on my return.

By the way - you may be able to tell which company you are being allocated from the description of the car - Budget said the car would have "snow tyres or snow chains" and Alamo said "winter pack".
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimom, it really is easier to walk...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
red 27, yeahbut, if the charge is already on the Holiday Autos voucher....... Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We have every intention of walking if it gets us out of paying, and we will have no option on our return anyway as presumably the shuttle bus doesn't run at 5am! - but I don't think Holiday Autos will be refunding this charge any more... this is the email I got back from them.

"Thank you for contacting holiday autos and please accept my apologies for the delay in replying.

As per your email i would like to advise you that if drop the keys in the drop box before 0700 hours on 08/03/09 there will be no extra cost you have to pay. As per the supplier the rental location if little far form the airport that is the reason the supplier (Alamo) provides the Shuttle bus service and the charges is 9.00 CHF. However if you like we will change the supplier. But for this you need to call our customer service number."

As I booked through Quidco I should get £10 back which I wouldn't get if I change the booking on the phone, and I think the alternative is Budget who would charge me for snow chains which would far outweigh the cost of the bus. I know a lot of people would say we only need snow tyres, but as we have never driven before we would prefer to have chains, even if we never use them.

What I refuse to pay for is for more than one of us to use the shuttle, so I hope its 9CHF in total not per person.

Do you return the cars to the same place?? and can you take a trolley as far as the car hire? and is it easy to get out of the car hire place and go back to pick up the rest of the family? or is it as well for us all to go get the car? sorry - lots of questions - but hubby doesn't trust me to be able to find my way back to the terminal with the car, and I will be the only insured driver because it is me who is likely to go to the supermarket (womens lib being alive and well in our household NOT Puzzled )
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skimom, right, gotcha... Funny I went at new year and there was no charge - everyone just bundled on, drove 50 yards round the corner and bundled off again - what fun! Mind you I booked in the summer so maybe the devils didn't have the nerve to back-charge me. For various reasons I had to traipse back and forth from the airport to the car about 20 times so soon got to know that the bus wasn't for me - even when it was free.

Yes Trolleys are fine to be pushed from the terminal to Parking51 where you pick up and drop off your car - all very easy.

Their guff about changing supplier is rubbish as all the suppliers are in the same purpose built hire car annex in the airport and all the hire cars are parked over in Parking51 so there is no other option than the bus or the walk.

the bus seats about 16 I think so 145€ to drive 100 yards has to be the most lucrative private hire gig in the history of the 'profession' i would Laughing if it wasn't so sick! The more I think about this the more I think that the bus is actually free and you're being ripped off! Evil or Very Mad
latest report
Have just got back from geneva, there is no way the hire car company know you have used the bus, (the driver does not ask anything, just looks grumpy about opening and shutting trailer doors). We used budget and the desk specifically said get on the free bus to the car park.
I agree withred 27, the charge is a rip off.
snow report
red 27 wrote:
Yes Trolleys are fine to be pushed from the terminal to Parking51 where you pick up and drop off your car - all very easy.

Not sure I agree with that. You're up and down kerbs several times when you walk from the hire desks to P51. I thought it was just about OK with a wheeled ski bag that didn't mind clunking up and down the kerbs, but I wouldn't have wanted to do that with a luggage trolley.
latest report
Have just opened an invoice from National Alamo (booked thru Easycar) and have a busing charge on there as well. Have told Easycar who knew nothing about it - they have asked me to write to their head office and complain! We walked to car hire on arrival and bussed back upon return. there is nothing in the agreement to say there is a charge. Also had winter equipment charge of £30 added on - can understand this but we had a non winterized car i.e. no snow tyres - we did have chains in the boot - will take my own in future if this is the cost for chains. Evil or Very Mad
snow report
I think they are on dodgy grounds because when I booked online with Holiday Autos there was no mention of the charge - this only appeared on the voucher.

I have a vague recollection that the T's and C's have to be there BEFORE you confirm? otherwise you have not agreed to the charge and it could only be one of the 'optional' charges that can be applied at the airport. Will need to read the T's and C's again I reckon.

However, if enough people kick up enough fuss in the next week or so maybe the policy can be changed before I get there wink

Might start 'spreading the word' in some other forums.
ski holidays
rob@rar, all the kerbs have dropped sections if you look hard enough
latest report
red 27 wrote:
rob@rar, all the kerbs have dropped sections if you look hard enough

I'll have a better look next time I'm there, but even with drop kerbs I still think it would be a pain with a trolley. If I had that much luggage that I needed a trolley I think I'd opt for the shuttle.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thats why we aren't too bothered about the charge - we will have 3 big bags between two of us and two kids - so if its only 9E for all of us and the bags we probably will use it.

If its easy to work out where I am, it would probably make sense to drop hubby, the kids and the luggage at the terminal before returning the car - although I am not sure about walking back to the terminal in the dark on my own.
snow conditions
skimom wrote:
I am not sure about walking back to the terminal in the dark on my own.

It's Geneva, not the bronx - you'll be fine Very Happy
latest report
skimom, red 27 is right about the dropped sections. It's no prob to walk with a trolley, we walked the other week both ways with hubby pushing trolley and me pushing child in pushchair so I can vouch for it being no prob Very Happy Takes 5 mins. The way I see it it's easier than the shuttle! Stick your stuff on a trolley (2E or 2SFR piece someone said a 2p works), push it to the hire desk, then along the marked path to the garage, cross at the crossing, go into the car park and down in the lift to the hire car floor and to your car all with the same trolley no messing. If you use the shuttle there's a queue, then you have to load and unload your gear and when it stops at the garage you still have to walk across the car park to get to your hire car office. This walk is really no big deal Very Happy
latest report
sarah, completely agree. Have just come back from Geneva and we walked one way with wheelie bag, wheelie suitcase and wheeled ski bag, and other way minus skis (left them in the chalet for the next trip in a month). Easy once you know the route, although we did start off on slightly the wrong track and had to look up on snowHeads which the correct route was! It's a shorter walk than the walk in some of the terminals at Heathrow.
latest report
it's exactly the same distance as it is to Migros - I paced it out! Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy