Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian Airlines / Crystal Ski - Ski Carriage

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I know this topic has been talked to dead with other carriers, but I just need
to put my mind at ease, as I'm traveling soon and want to know what the deal
is.

What I want to know is, Austrian airlines say ski carriage is free, Crystal say
£30 for 6kgs worth of ski equipment (on charter flights). My ski bag weighs
15kg (there's two pairs in there, one set weights is 9kgs on its own, with the
bag)

So, who do I pay or tell, if anyone ?

I've rang Austrian Airlines, my flight number doesn't come up on their
system, does this then mean its a charter flight ? If so, then why is
flight allowance only 15kgs - see below Crystal terms say 23kgs for chartered
flight !

My tickets from Crystal say that airline taking us is Austrian Airlines
and the baggage max is 15kgs.

So, according to the terms below, I've gotta pack my boots and clothes in
a bag and it weigh less than 15kgs - then some how make the ski bag weigh less
than 6kgs!!

Crystal's 'what's my luggage limit' terms :

The weight you can take varies between airlines and is shown on your flight ticket.
Most airlines allow only one piece of hold luggage per person.
Scheduled airlines normally allow 2 pieces of hold luggage up to 23kg each
(ski/snowboard bag counts as one piece).
You will be charged excess luggage if you exceed allowances.
Check with your airline for further details.
Pre-book your excess luggage with your airline at least 3 days or more before you fly.

In addition to your luggage allowance, each passenger may carry one item up to 5kg
and maximum size 55x40x20cm and you should be able to lift this yourself into
overhead storage compartments. If your hand luggage is heavier or larger
than this, it'll have to be loaded in the hold of the aircraft and may
then mean you're liable for excess luggage charges.

1 piece of hand luggage is inclusive of items such as handbags, laptops, camera
and camcorder bags. All items of hand luggage will need to be scanned seprately.

Do not allow any 1 piece to exceed 23kg, as this exceeds guidelines.

Carriage of skis/snowboards and sporting equipment. All sporting equipment
must be checked into the hold. You may not take them with you into the cabin.
Boot bags count towards your overall weight and piece allowance on all
flights. Pack them in your hold baggage if you are taking your skis as you
will be charged for an additional bag.

On Charter flights, in addition to your checked baggage allowance, you will be
able to check one pair of skis or snowboard for each person in the party
weighing up to 6kg at a cost of £30 per item if pre-booked with us and will be
shown on your holiday invoice. it is possible that ski carriage not pre-booked
will be declined by the check-in staff, at which point you will have to
arrange for storage at the airport until your return at your own expense. If
the airline is able to carry your ski equipment at short notice, a minimum £40
carriage fee will have to be paid at the airport.

If you feel any of these allowances are insufficient for your needs, pre-book
your excess luggage with your airline.

Bloody hell that's a long post, thanks for reading.

munkee/

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 23-01-09 12:23; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Where is the flight from/to and do you have your flight number?

What do your tickets look like? Are they Crystal tear off style ones or proper airline tickets?

D
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
munkee, welcome to luggageHeads
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
From EMA to Innsbruck - out OS2384 / return OS2383

Is all this luggage regs new, I've never had these problems on the last 5 ski trips
Though I've never flown with Crystal before Mad

The tickets are Crystal tear off style

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 23-01-09 12:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
First, you will probably find the actual carrier is Lauda Air - they are the charter arm of the Austrian group.

I have travelled with them on Crystal holidays (Bristol - Innsbruck) each of the last two years.

In each case, I paid extra for the ski carriage, but then had a 20Kg allowance for my main hold luggage, and the skis were not weighed.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As per alex_heney, it looks like it is a Lauda charter. I have had similar experiences as alex in that my hold luggage was 20kg and they didn't weigh the skis. Honestly in my experience of flying with Lauda they haven't been that ar$ed about luggage (we've turned up in the past with 23 pieces between 7 of us, all overweight), but I might have just been lucky so you can't rely on it.

I would call Crystal to confirm as 15kg in the hold is very stingy, and I've never heard of it before. Did you know before you booked that it would be so low? They should have told you, as it could be a significant increase to your holiday cost.

If they are unhelpful, I would load the ski bag and your hand luggage as they are not likely to be weighed.

D
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
alex_heney wrote:
First, you will probably find the actual carrier is Lauda Air - they are the charter arm of the Austrian group.

I have travelled with them on Crystal holidays (Bristol - Innsbruck) each of the last two years.

In each case, I paid extra for the ski carriage, but then had a 20Kg allowance for my main hold luggage, and the skis were not weighed.

Cheers for the info, I've just check Lauda Air's website to find this :

So why do we still have to pay Crystal an extra £30 - esp when they are only giving me 15kgs for my baggage, when Lauda website says 20kgs!
Puzzled

http://www.laudaair.com/site/index.php?id=212&L=1

Excess baggage and sports equipment

Free baggage allowance on all Lauda Air holiday flights is 20kg/44lbs(30kg/66lbs if duration of stay exceeds 28days - notification required). As we need to calculate extra space for additional baggage, please inform us well in advance about it. For this purpose please contact your booking office, our call center +43 (0) 820 320 321 or contact us online.

Please notice that a single piece of luggage can only be accepted up to a maximum weight of 32kg/70lbs (including excess weight) and a maximum dimension of 203cm/80in (sum of three dimension).

Due to its volume the transport of sports equipment must be requested well in advance. For this purpose please contact your booking office, our call center or inform us online about your plans.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 23-01-09 12:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I had been wondering about going out with a TO next trip. All this (and similar threads) is becoming a real turn off.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm sure I read somwhere once that the 15kg limit was due to the type of plane used by Lauda.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jagerbull, THey use a similar mix to most of the medium sized UK airlines - mainly Airbuses, but with a few other similar sized panes.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just checked a Inghams page where they say the allowance is usually 20kg but can be 18kg for some Austrian/Tyrolean flights.
Maybe they want to make sure you manage to avoid the big mountains at Innsbruck.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
They did used to use some smaller aircraft (the old Tyrolean Canadair jets I think) into the UK, but not for a couple of years I don't think. The only ones I have seen in the UK in the past year or so have been as per alex_heney suggests, B737s, that kind of thing.

It would be a bit sly of Crystal (and any other TOs who might do the same) to charge excess baggage IMO if there is no longer any operational reason for the lower limit on these flights.

D
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've Just rang Crystal – asking about the 15kgs and that’s what it is, he told me that weight must also include your boots .. I pointed out that my boots plus hard case weighs in at 10.3kg - leaving me 4.7kg for my winter clothes! – I then jokingly said can I wear my boots on the plane – he said, Yes I can! They have checked with the airport security services and its allowed, although its not allowed to carry them on as hand luggage!!!!!!!!!! As that is deemed an offensive weapon..

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

What !!

He didn't know what to do when I told him my ski bag weight more than 6kgs - a manager is going to ring me back - he's gonna get it - the fact that the airline normally allows free carriage of skis up to 23kgs.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
When I flew with Air Canada on a Neilson holiday my luggage allowance was different to what it would have been had I booked directly with AC. Still far more generous than this though.

edited it was Neilson not Inghams

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 23-01-09 14:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I had been wondering about going out with a TO next trip. All this (and similar threads) is becoming a real turn off.

Depends which TO you use; we're going with Neilson in February and have just booked ski carriage at £15.
snow conditions
I went to Austria with Crystal last season. No problems with baggage. My holdall and boot bag were weighed (11kg) and my skis were not. I'd paid the £30 charge for taking skis in advance and there were no quibbles either end...

Hopefully should be the same for you...
snow report
I flew Austrian Arrows/ Lauda on Crystal Package. Because of the small number of passengers they downsized the plane to a Focher 100. They had allowed 20 kg hold baggage, to include ski boots, Ski carriage was £30 return but bag should only include skis & sticks & weigh max 8 kg. At Manchester airport they were oblivious to this and allowing boot bags & skis unweighed. But...........you could be unlucky & face repacking & xs wieght charges. Make use of your hand luggage allowance.
snow conditions
We went to Alpe D'Huez with Crystal and noticing that their ski carriage charge has increased 100% in a year. i.e £15 to £30, we booked 2 lots of ski carriage
and then put 2 pairs in each bag so 4 pairs in total.

At Leeds Bradford, using Crystal's charter with Jet2.Com, nobody looked inside the bags or weighed them.This was the same coming back from Chambery.

I still think this is a ripoff and I will continue to exploit and fiddle whenever I can.
snow report
Hi,

I am wondering this. I have booked Bristol to Innsbruck with crystal.

The website says bag with boots and board is free no limit, then 23kg luggage allowance.

Shall I just put all my all my stuff in my board bag for padding and protection or do I bring a separate bag (pain in back bottom).

I know someone else mentioned they say just board and boots so if its lost or doesn't get there you still have cloths and aren't covered if you had cloths in bag.

Not sure what to do?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 8-02-16 12:14; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Just booked with Crystal Ski and got Ski Carriage for £19. Booked via extras if you bought the lift Pass and Ski Carriage together is £189, Lift Pass only was £170 on it's own.

They do a ski carriage bundle now (which in previous year they haven't they just bundled hire and lessons with Lift Passes). They want £40 each otherwise!!!!

The lift pass for 6 days is 217.50 eur so with the exchange rate is about £167 so it's not a bad deal.

But Ski Carriage was only about £15 before as others have said so we are still being screwed.

Going via a Thomson Flight from Manchester if that makes any difference.
snow report
Yeah I booked it with pass and ski carriage.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy