Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kitzbuhel World Cup Serious Injury

Poster: A snowHead
Swiss Skier Daniel Albrecht has sustained Brain & Lung Injuries

http://www.news.at/articles/0904/200/231583/kitzbueheler-streif-opfer-schweizer-albrecht-zielsprung

Photos

http://www.news.at/nw1/gen/slideshows/slide/show;sport/ski/weltcup_2008_09/programm_kitzbuehel/sturz_albrecht/;template;susi/default/;kid;200;pos;14
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ooo nasty..hes been having a good season till now..got all the weekends racing sky+ up...can't wait...hope iot turns out well for him in th emean time!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Link to report in English from the Snowsports page http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=48182

D
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sad hope he pulls through ok without any lasting damage.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Swiss ski racer Daniel Albrecht was in an induced coma on Thursday after a training run crash in Kitzbuehel, Austria, left him with brain injuries.

Albrecht lost control on the notoriously difficult Streif course after flying through the air for about 40 metres, landed on his back and came to a stop near the finish line, unconscious. Medics treated him on the site for about 20 minutes before he was taken by helicopter to a hospital in nearby St. Johann.

Helmuth Obermoser, the official race doctor, said in a brief statement that Albrecht had bleeding on the brain and a lung contusion.

"Daniel is in a stable condition now. He woke up briefly but doctors placed him in an artificial coma," Swiss team spokeswomen Diana Faeh said. "He will be transported to a hospital in Innsbruck for further examinations on his injuries."

Doctors will use drugs to induce a coma, or a deep state of unconsciousness, in the hopes the reduced activity in the brain will reduce swelling and pressure in the brain and prevent permanent brain damage.

Albrecht, 25, is ranked eighth in the World Cup overall standings. He has two wins in the giant slalom this season - at Soelden, Austria, and Alta Badia, Italy - and is ranked fifth in that discipline.

In Wednesday's first training session, Austria's Michael Walchhofer - the World Cup downhill leader - almost fell backward at the same point where Albrecht crashed.

"The wind pushed the front of my skis up so I was lifted in the air," said Walchhofer, who recovered to post the fastest time. "That was quite extreme. I totally underestimated that jump."

Thursday's training run resumed after a half-hour delay following Thursday's crash, and American Bode Miller went on to post the fastest time. The reigning World Cup overall champion posted a time of one minute 55.95 seconds - 0.26 faster than Switzerland's Didier Cuche, the defending downhill champion.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
That's a nasty one! Shocked Sad

I hope that all works out ok. He's in the right hands as sports men and women these days have the absolute top medical care available to them. Fingers crossed all the same

It reinforces my huge admiration for what these boys and girls do!!!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sounds very similar to Scott Macartney last year, who was also placed in an induced coma to aid his immediate recovery. Fingers crossed for Albrecht.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, he crashed in about the same spot, IIRC. He'll definitely be a bit sore.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
richmond, yeah, that last jump into the finish area.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Usual story, I suppose:

'Phew, there we are, nearly finsihed, easy cruise to the line, thank Christ that's ov' oh f... ouch.'
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thought they had changed the final jump to the finsh, after Mcartney last year..seems to have made it worse..
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
From the FIS site:
Quote:

Albrecht {..} was cruising at 140km/h

Shocked Shocked
That's some serious cruise speed....We all know they go "fast" but it makes you realise...that's pretty much the top speed I do when driving back home on the motorway! And funnily enough the idea to through myself on the ground is not an appealing one!

I hope he has a good recovery...physically and with regards to racing again..
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, yup. Best of luck to him.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The accident has just been reported on Eurosport - terrifying and a sober reminder how quickly things can go from good to disastrous.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I was in two minds as to whether to post this as I am by no way wishing to revel in this accident. But here is a link to a vid of Dani's fall (scroll to the bottom of the page)

http://homeboyski.com/2009/01/22/daniel-albrecht-crashed-and-seriously-injured-in-kitzbuhel-austria/

I will leave you to decide if you wish to watch it.....!!!! Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
How is he doing btw... ?

I recall my friend watching it in a restro at lunchtime in Zinal...

All he said was " jesus, that is a massive fall".. I haven't seen it yet myself.
snow report
Hi JT; according to his web page he is now at home and still making progress. He has started a campaign for people who have suffered a brain injury,www.never-give-up.ch and all proceeds from the sale of caps and t-shirts will go to this. It truly was a horrific fall.
ski holidays
JT wrote:
How is he doing btw... ?

Left hospital on Wednesday. See here and here.
ski holidays
Ok, thanks...he hopes to get back to Racing again... he must be feeling better
snow conditions
DAB wrote:
Hi JT; according to his web page he is now at home and still making progress. He has started a campaign for people who have suffered a brain injury,www.never-give-up.ch and all proceeds from the sale of caps and t-shirts will go to this. It truly was a horrific fall.

That's good news - it was a really really nasty one.

Dani aside, I'm told that a few more weeks and they will start their summer training in the likes of Chile and NZ. Then back to Europe in the Autumn to make use of the glaciers before the first WC race in Sölden at the end of October

Boy the WC racers travel a lot. My friend who raced in the Austrian WC race team said that it was not unusual for her drive 100,000 km a season - most of that driving herself in car provided by the team sponsors. You seem to forget that it's not all razzamataz
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy