Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thinking About Learning....

Poster: A snowHead
For a few years now we have got into the habit of 2 holidays a year. One with kids and one on our own. We can ski ok and have started having the odd private lesson and venturing off piste.

We have now bought a place so 2 weeks a year is the minimum. We are out the end of March and we are seriosuly considering learning to snowboard. Thinking of hiring snowbaording kit but skiing first day, then having a private lesson from 3-5pm. Not expecting to get snow boarding instantly so would aim to ski most days and practice for a few hours late in the day.

Any reason not to learn a new skill?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
Any reason not to learn a new skill?

thefatcontroller,

Nope...none whatsoever.... Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thefatcontroller, blades ?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just remember wrist guards, impact shorts etc........
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thefatcontroller, every reason to have a go at learning to board. However, I'd be guided by the snow conditions, not a pre-conceived timetable. Board when the snow is soft. Learning to board on hard-packed pistes is no fun at all. Can strongly recommend the book and video from Neil McNab "Go snowboard". Armed with that, you can teach yourself quite a lot.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rayscoops wrote:
thefatcontroller, blades ?

rayscoops,
Don't be silly, he talked about learning a new skill!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another vote for "Go snowboard". Bought after pam w had mentioned it a while ago. Very good indeed.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, Thanks, we had a ski lesson a few weeks ago and we chatted to the instructor about learning to snow baord. He said what you said, check the snow conditions. As it is off peak when we are there no need to rush to book a lesson. Will look for the vid Cool
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thefatcontroller, I can send you the DVD if I can find it and if you promise to send it back ! I do not have DVD burning facility !
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rayscoops, Appreciate the offer. Will PM you my address. Think you can trust me to send back wink Cool
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thefatcontroller, good on you for trying something new! i hope you end up loving it as much as us lot do. as cad99uk said, impact shorts are your friend if you've already learnt to fall properly. otherwise, borrow someone's flexmeters too.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I learnt (self taught) because I could ski quite well and wanted a new challenge. That was 15 years ago and the rest, as they say...

If you can ski OK you will understand about weighting/unweighting and will also be able to keep your CoG low. You will also understand about fall lines and holding an edge.

Its not hard to learn but like everything, the last 10% takes 90% of the learning time, with a diminishing curve of returns on the way there. I think the initial process of learning to ride is harder than the initial process of skiing but there is a nice gentle learning curve after this, where you can make good progress quite quickly.

I still threaten to put on a pair of skis one day, its just that that day hasn't arrived yet. Given the choice and providing the mountain is not sheet ice, it would be a board every time.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
go for 15-17.......but pay attention to don't be too tired........if not your learning gonna finish in an hospital.......
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops, Arrived this morning thanks. Shall read and watch over the coming weeks. Not going until the end of March but we(?) are both committed now to learning to snowboard, think it will involve some pain but hey..........Will let you know the outcome.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
thefatcontroller, Great decision. I skied for many years and took up boarding a few years back, like yourself, to learn a new skill. As long as you are prepared for the first week to be painful then you will be fine. Once you have mastered the basics you will progress faster than skiing (IMHO). Stick with it as you know the kids will be begging you to learn in a few years anyway!

Incidentally I had not skied in 3 years until a few weeks ago. I needed to get back on the skis in order to help Mouth junior (2) as he learns this season. I can honestly say that is the only reason I will ski nowadays. Am a total convert to boarding. Go for it!
snow conditions
You are going to hurt your arse, and balls, a lot. I promise.
snow report
i had couple of board lessons now generally ski for first 5 days and board the last two. Getting good at both now.

Skiing gives you a massive advantage in understanding the feel and not being scared to the slope knowing that you can make your own gradient. Greens and Blue runs can be a nuisence when learning as often flat bits that when less experienced, you may not have the necessary speed to get past.

I really enjoy both.
ski holidays
paulio wrote:
You are going to hurt your arse, and balls, a lot. I promise.

Sounds like my average weekend, can't wait Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Although if you really are called Sue as suggested elsewhere, you might only care about half of that statement.
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, go for it, you will have fun and appreciate being able to switch between the 2 depending on the conditions.
ski holidays
go for it..

But take lessons.

Don't grab a board and try to have a go yourself! (unless you're covered in sponge and pads like an American Footballer!)

(My Uncle who's skied for many years tried this - just assumed he'd be alright but its as different from skiing as motorbiking is from driving a car - the physics are the same and the road conditions but it takes different skills)
snow conditions
boardiecouk, Don't worry we would books some private lessons. For 2 of us it would be easier than doing a weeks class.
snow report
thefatcontroller, I can lend you knee pads and a bum protector (cut up camping mat) if you like. Wrist guards (the dakine neoprene ones) can get quite sweaty, so I'd buy your own - some of the shops round here (sport 2000 in PP IIRC) sell the flexmeter ones...
latest report
I had snowboarding lessons on a Uni trip many years ago. Snowboarding was a real minority thing then and looked 'really cool', whereas skiing was seen as an old persons hobby. It was fun but I prefer skiing so much more that I haven't bothered trying snowboarding again since. I think the irritating things (not being able to pole along flat bits, the nightmare of using lifts and having to sit down and get a cold bum everytime I wanted a breather) irritated me just a bit too much...

But each to their own eh...?

You can't dismiss something until you've tried it, and you may even end up liking it...
snow report
bertie bassett, Thanks for kind offer. Kids ain't with us this trip so we are flying over. As we can now leave stuff at the apartment the plan is to buy what we need in the sports shop beside the supermarkets in Bourg. Potentially cheaper to do it at the Hypermarkets in Albertville but so much easier in Bourg. Cool
snow conditions
thefatcontroller, Great to hear you want to join the dark side. I will even offer to take you out for a taster if you like. PM me when you get here.

For instruction I would recommend Alan, he runs Intial-snow.com ski and snowboard school. Speaks good English and is great as a teacher. You can look him up on line and book but he is very hard to get as is very popular. Do get protection for as much of your body as you can. falling over hurts and you will do it quite often to start with. Once you have mastered it get in the powder. On a board it is amazing. As someone else said, check the weather, hard icy snow are not fun conditions to learn in, it can really hurt when you hit the ground.

But do not be put off. Go for it oh yes and you have to start learning the talk. And then getting the clothes. Your kids will think you are 'way cool' rolling eyes
snow report
snowcrazy wrote:

But do not be put off. Go for it oh yes and you have to start learning the talk. And then getting the clothes. Your kids will think you are 'way cool' rolling eyes

You forgot to add boarding around with your braces hanging down, and with you're boxers sticking out at the top of the back of your pants...
ski holidays
bertie bassett, A harrowing image Laughing Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy