Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Iron for waxing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Does it matter if the iron i use has steam holes in the base?

I've got an old iron i could use which is perfectly functional, but it does have steam holes in the base.

I've been looking for any iron without the holes, but even travel irons nowadays have a steam option and hence holes.

So will the holes matter? I could cover the base of the iron in ali foil which would prevent the wax getting into the holes.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lower, I had the same problem as you and ended up getting a travel iron with steam holes and it worked ok. Wax gets in the holes but just runs out again.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I used one like that... but they seem to go cold quick and then take ages to warm up again. Really found that a proper waxing iron is worth paying for.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
No problems with using a steam iron at all - have used one for many years. Have never had any problems with it - has always kept constant temperature, never burnt the ski base (of various pairs of skis) and has always warmed up quickly.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lower, I've been using an old iron. It works fine, as geepee says, the wax just runs out, although make sure to heat up the iron and drip/shake out all the old wax first as it can get a bit dirty.

If I had the cash right now, I'd probably buy a proper waxing iron.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A travel iron, or old domestic iron, whether steam or not, is fine for waxing skis *provided* you don't let the iron rest on the skis at all, and their temperature control is far less accurate than a proper skiing waxing iron, so they tend to go too hot, too cold, too hot, too cold - so waxing may take longer than you expect.

Whether a proper waxing iron is worth the premium, only you can decide.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RobW, I agree... it's only the time aspect that made me buy a proper wax iron. I like to do a pricision job and hated the hanging around. Never mind waxing my mates board Shocked
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy