Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it better to wear Goggles or Sunglasses?

Poster: A snowHead
snowpatrol, I think Lizzard, is a girl
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowpatrol, what would you like? I can do you tosser, shallow fashion victim or sad sucker if any of that appeals. Complete fxckwit costs extra though. Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lizzard wrote:
Complete fxckwit costs extra though. Laughing

I think he's paid his dues.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lizzard, you'll have to try harder than that
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Craghopper, (OP) the first reply to this thread says it all :-

Trenmold said
Quote:

Sunny - Sunglasses.

Cloudy - Lighter sunglasses

Snowing and foggy - Goggles.

Snowboarders always wear goggles as it seems to be part of the "look". Twisted Evil

I don't think anything has been said on this thread to undermine that.

Think you've got an answer Very Happy Very Happy

I'm off.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
well......unfortunately, and not out of choice, i have to go with Goggles! wore a nice pair of oakleys one year, some lady's front bottom of a boarder without a clue, completely wiped me out, went tumbling down the mountain, and sunglasses promptly cracked right through the frame, across the front of my eye, and one end of newly sliced frame impaled an inch from my eyeball!!!

never had THAT problem with goggles! Shocked
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
scottysnowhead, Been there too.............A Frames for skiing, glasses for beer drinking! wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Id always wear goggles, whether sun or snow, just have a different pair for different conditions.

I find goggles are much warmer than glasses and cover more of your face. If you ski with any sort of speed at all i find that glasses just let too much air through and I cant see a think cause my eyes are watering so much.

I also agree that goggles are much safer to wear... Smile

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 8-01-11 15:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
anyone who wears a helmet should wear goggles, helmet and sunglasses are a big no no
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Richiavo, don't be such a t1t - you can wear what you damned well want - if they feel comfortable and right for you, who gives a tinkers cuss for what the others say!

Too many feckin Fashionistas pontificating around here - how the he!! do they find the time to ski - oh my mistake they don't, they just talk the talk!

rolling eyes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Samerberg Sue wrote:
Richiavo, don't be such a t1t - you can wear what you damned well want - if they feel comfortable and right for you, who gives a tinkers cuss for what the others say!

Too many feckin Fashionistas pontificating around here - how the he!! do they find the time to ski - oh my mistake they don't, they just talk the talk!

rolling eyes

Well in fact, goggles are much more comfortable with a helmet than sunglasses are...

Helmets are designed for use with goggles, they have the buckle at the back to hold them in place, they also go over the helmet which means there is nothing between your head and the helmet... Whereas sunglasses on the other hand go inside the helmet, causing unessasary pressure points which a lot of people will find irritating and uncomfortable.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Goggles all the time for me. Can't be bothered carrying sunglasses and goggles!!

www.europeansnowboardresortguide.co.uk
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I wear Aldi sunglasses at about £5 each, the latest ones coming with 3 different tinted lenses each. They're cheap enough to have 3 or 4 pairs of, light enough not too come off in a prang (plenty of testing there), and fit my bonce well enough to provide good wind protection and ventilation. I always carry a spare pair in my pocket, and they last for about 3 seasons before needing repacement. They are comfortable to wear with my helmet and, whilst I really don't care what I look like, their respective colours do happen to co-ordinate rather nicely.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Samerberg Sue, is the only person round here talking sense. This is purely a matter of personal preference. If it feels right for you then it is right for you. Personally I'm a sunglasses-unless-it's-actually-snowing kind of guy - with or without helmet, but that has no bearing whatsoever on what anyone else should be doing.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Isn't it true that if you're not wearing goggles your snowboard won't work properly...

For me, glasses unless it's snowing. (Or if it's first thing in the morning on a north facing slope and my eyeballs are feeling as though they are freezing.)
latest report
Yesterday I took my sunglasses up to the top of Cairngorm in 60 mile/hour winds with hail and visibility at zilch. I did this because my glasses are prescription and I am an idiot. Once my eyelashes froze I realised it didn't really matter that my goggles weren't prescription, I just really really missed them. (Luckily the idiot discovered that 100 m down the hill, the hail storm went away.)
snow conditions
I love this thread Very Happy

Goggles for the mountain, sunnies for al fresco lunch.
ski holidays
bar shaker, Couldn't agree more on both counts Laughing Laughing
snow report
Craghopper, I personally find that when I were sunglasses in colder weather combined with skiing at speed my eyes water which blurs my vision, so in that case it revert to goggles. Always goggles in powder. I generally wear both though depending on weather conditions.
latest report
How about wearing OTG goggles with sunglasses? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
dredgey wrote:
Craghopper, I personally find that when I were sunglasses in colder weather combined with skiing at speed my eyes water which blurs my vision, so in that case it revert to goggles. Always goggles in powder. I generally wear both though depending on weather conditions.

i have the same problem. still wear sunglasses in good weather and goggles in snow/low light but might try goggles all the time purely for the watering eyes. will see how i go next week as i have a new pair of oakley sunnys and my give better protection. if not i may need to go shopping Smile
snow report
tim000 wrote:
dredgey wrote:

i have the same problem. still wear sunglasses in good weather and goggles in snow/low light but might try goggles all the time purely for the watering eyes. will see how i go next week as i have a new pair of oakley sunnys and my give better protection. if not i may need to go shopping Smile

Seems to be worse on a fresh morning; nothing worse than having to slow down because of blury eyes!
ski holidays
Isn't this where I need to turn up and say

helmet + sunglasses = socks and sandals

Very Happy
ski holidays
jedster wrote:
Isn't this where I need to turn up and say

helmet + sunglasses = socks and sandals

Very Happy

i find my feet slip in the bindings with socks and sandels rolling eyes
ski holidays
sunglasses = beginner skier/boarder
goggles = intermediate +

you can get away with sunglasses as a beginner, being slow and scared (or is that old). You can't get away with them when your bombing around on piste, off piste or jumping kickers. This is definitive, thread locked.
ski holidays
Gainz, So all those instructors in sunglasses are just beginners in disguise?
snow report
Gainz, hahahaha

I never wear goggles, I put up with a bit of speed streak as I find sunglasses much more comfortable.
I have been skiing for 35 of my 38 years on this planet, so am more than proficient on the slopes!
Oh and I don't wear a helmet either, that is a personal choice too, although my kids and missus do.
snow report
Goggles on the slopes (always with a helmet). Glasses for beer. BeerGoggles for the ladies. Sunglasses at breakfast.

And defo not sunglasses with helmets. It's dangerous - everytime I see someone like that I double up laughing in mid carve and crash into groups of children ..... please stop it! Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Unfortunately for me I wear glasses due to being short sighted.
Generally I wear my prescription sunglasses and change over to glasses plus goggles due to the streaming eye problem during cold mornings, but suffer from really bad fogging so generally end up in the bar !
Keep toying with laser eye surgery, but don't like the thought of someone cutting & zapping me in the eyes.
snow report
After getting the second post on this "classic" thread a couple of years ago I still have not changed my policy despite now wearing a helmet. I think a black Dainese helmet with sunglasses gives a very laid back Easy Rider kind of look which as I get older I am more and more comfortable with despite the fact I have not sat astride a motorbike for a long time.

Anyway most of you young'uns won't see my sunglasses, only the back of my helmet as I whizz past you.

Maybe a bushy moustache or goatee would add to the effect too but I doubt if Mrs Trenmold would sanction that. Laughing
ski holidays
Sorry I haven't read the whole thread but here is my take on it if anyone is bothered.

Always wear a helmet. Always were goggles whilst skiing. The last eye injury I saw caused by sun glasses and no helmet finally made my mind up on this matter. The blood that had collected above the eye brought the upper lid down over the bottom one. Has anyone got a counter story where goggles with a helmet caused an injury?

As for steamed up goggles this is one of the main non-medical benefits of a helmet. Put goggles up on your sweaty hat and you've got steamed goggles. Put them up on your helmet and they are sealed from the elements. They only steam up if you have snow on your helmet that melts under the goggles so if it is snowing heavily still don't lift your goggles if you get into a gondola unless your helmet is dried first.

Helmets should be a light colour to reflect the sun on hot days IMHO
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy