Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gold credit cards and insurance in France

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone have any info on this. We use a Nationwide credit card on hols [no transaction charges] which happens to be a Gold card. When we bought our passes this Christmas, we were offered the inevitable 'assurance' then when the woman saw the Gold card she said , oh that was ok it was insured [or words to that effect]. We then had a similar experience with the skihire shop when we picked up our hire skis.

Has anyone else had this happen and if so what's the deal in France?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
MarjMJ, if you had the misfortune to need evacuation off the hill I very much doubt the pisteurs would have treated your gold card in the same way as the Carre Neige policy that you can buy with your lift pass.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
MarjMJ, Check the small print very carefully - especially for what it says about off-piste skiing. Then, if it ticks all the boxes, still buy Carre Neige.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
MarjMJ, Well, there's NO travel insurance included on a Nationwide Gold Card. You do however get Travel Accident Insurance (which is an entirely different beast) Travel Accident Cover – This insurance is free to Nationwide credit card customers. It provides a lump sum benefit following accidental death or bodily injury due to an accident whilst travelling anywhere in the world on transport paid for using a Nationwide credit card. Full details are contained in the policy document.. Are you under the impression that you have travel insurance with the card? Check your documents, but I don't think you do.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Here is a link to the policy wording: http://www.nationwide.co.uk/pdf/creditcard/P4553-CCard.pdf

It specifically relates to injury "while travelling". I would be surprised if that included skiing, but it doesn't include or exclude it.

Whilst you may be covered for a defined injury or death, it doesn't necessarily cover you for medical expenses or evacuation.

Under the payment protection it specifically says "purchase" and does not mention hire - so again I doubt if hire is covered unless you view it as a "purchase of ski hire".
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
MarjMJ, given the reports of French Pisteurs behaviour if I were skiing in France I would always buy Carre Neige, Pisteurs seem to completely ignore any other form of insurance and will apparently demand cash for getting you off the slope without it Shocked

By comparrison everything I've heard about the Swiss seems to indicate that they will rescue you first and send the bill later (unless they think you might run off without paying which I've only heard of once)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is there an Italian equivalent to Carre Neige ?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
D G Orf wrote:
MarjMJ, given the reports of French Pisteurs behaviour if I were skiing in France I would always buy Carre Neige, Pisteurs seem to completely ignore any other form of insurance and will apparently demand cash for getting you off the slope without it Shocked

The pisteurs have a legal duty to get you off the hill and to hospital whether or not you are insured or have money on you. You have to ultimately pay the tarif published by the piste service. If you ever have a problem with a pisteur you simple call 112 and ask for a rescue, the police or fire service will come and would also arrest the piste patrol as they are breaking the law by not assisting you. In ski resorts the rescue is delegated to the piste services by the Prefet but in exchange for this they have to give certain legal guarantees to perform the job... haggling with injured skiers isn't part of the franchise.

I just can't believe these stories as it goes completely against what they are there to do. Yes they may want ID or some security so you don't just clear off home.

Gold cards - a French gold card will cover you on and off piste assuming you buy lift tickets with it, a standard French credit card covers you on piste only.

My only experiences with British credit cards is with Barclay's Gold which covered piste rescue, hospital treatment and repatriation. Looking at the schedule this still seems to be the case but confusingly not so with Nationwide gold.

Personally I wouldn't bother with Carte Neige/Carre Neige if you are already insured but it is very good cover, especially for the no quibble off piste cover but unfortunately doesn't seem complete enough on the medical side for UK skiers.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof wrote:
Yes they may want ID or some security so you don't just clear off home.

The most common approach being to hang on to your skis until you have settled the bill from what I've seen.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof wrote:
Personally I wouldn't bother with Carte Neige/Carre Neige if you are already insured but it is very good cover, especially for the no quibble off piste cover but unfortunately doesn't seem complete enough on the medical side for UK skiers.

I buy it, but as a top-up policy only in addition to my regular travel insurance. Relatively small price to pay for peace of mind, IMO.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
MarjMJ,

Possibly the gold card insures you for loss of the lift pass but not the medical bit?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
God you've all scared me now! And thanks for the links to the card pages. As usual, who reads the small print...
Embarassed Bode Swiller said,
Quote:

you under the impression that you have travel insurance with the card?

No. That's why I was curious. We have our own separate travel policy, so I usually decline. I am also thinking that there would be the inevitable red tape of it being a UK card and not a French one if you a) had an accident and b) lost/damaged your skis.

OK. A couple of additional questions now...

Tell me about this Carre Neige....and does that cover the skis...

Ta folks.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
MarjMJ, Carre Neige basically covers getting you from your acciden location on the snow to I think your first point of treatment, it's not an insurance for loss of ski pass or theft of gear thing, however it apparently does make things easier should you need to be taken from the slopes in an emergency, it doesn't cost much either so it's probably worth it for peace of mind.

Unfortunately whilst what davidof, says is undoubtedly true there will always be a few people who break the rules.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In Chamonix, at New Year, there didn't seem to be the option of buying a lift pass with or without Carre Niege. During our week my wife twisted her knee and, due to high winds, needed to get from Flegere to Brevent to get down the mountain. The pistuers organised a snow mobile relay and queue jumped her at the cable car from Flegere to Brevent. The journey took just over an hour. The standard pass (€193 Cham Le Pass) covered all of this at no charge.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bar shaker, sounds like you were charged for Carre Neige, even though you didn't ask for it. I've always been asked if I want to include insurance when buying passes.
ski holidays
Just look it up and THIS answers my question.

*edit* Errr no it doesn't.

THIS OTHER link implies that we should have paid extra. We didn't. They checked my wife's lift pass and confirmed that her recovery to Brevent was free.

I see from this site that a helivac is €654. Its not actually as expensive as I thought. Our insurance does cover us for such rescues, if required. [looks for wood to touch]
snow conditions
Quote:

Pisteurs seem to completely ignore any other form of insurance and will apparently demand cash for getting you off the slope without it

Absolute complete and utter dangly bits. See Davidof's comments bove.

Are you all mad? Would YOU leave someone bleeding on the piste because they couldn't show you a piece of paper? rolling eyes
latest report
Lizzard,
Quote:

Absolute complete and utter dangley bits

err maybe not, remember this from 2005
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=88945#88945
ski holidays
Boredsurfing wrote:
Lizzard,
Quote:

Absolute complete and utter dangley bits

err maybe not, remember this from 2005
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=88945#88945

If anyone has a problem with pisteurs and can document it, get pisteurs names etc then please contact me and I will follow it up, it is not on and illegal. There should be no questions if you are insured and they should only keep your skis etc if you have no insurance (unfortunately a lot of tourists just clear off without paying).

> I am also thinking that there would be the inevitable red tape of it being a UK card

They will use someone like Mondialassist or Euroassist exactly as Carre Neige and they handle everything on your behalf.
snow report
davidof, Well, several years on, and my collarbone is almost back to normal, (still a little displacement at the shoulder) albeit a different shape. I kept the letter from the VT Mayor's office, in which he called me and my OH liars, telling us what my OH had seen at close quarters did not happen. He also said that he liked things just the way they were and could see no reason for change. My Insurer was very well aware of the problems faced by their clients at that resort, notorious possibly. If the man at the top is running a tight ship what chance does a foreigner have to prove anything took place.
snow report
snowbunny wrote:
davidof, Well, several years on, and my collarbone is almost back to normal, (still a little displacement at the shoulder) albeit a different shape. I kept the letter from the VT Mayor's office, in which he called me and my OH liars, telling us what my OH had seen at close quarters did not happen. He also said that he liked things just the way they were and could see no reason for change. My Insurer was very well aware of the problems faced by their clients at that resort, notorious possibly. If the man at the top is running a tight ship what chance does a foreigner have to prove anything took place.

Yes scandalous, and your experience has put me off going to VT again.

I'm not sure what to suggest in future, there should be no question about getting people off the mountain, of course if you are not fluent in the language it makes things difficult.
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, that thread was about a private ambulance company. Secouristes who refused to remove in injured person from the piste would be a) sacked and b) arrested. Not to mention c) sadistic weirdos.

It's true to say that a lot of ambulance companies/doctors etc will ask foreigners for payment or proof of an ability to pay early on in the process because in the past plenty of them have absconded back home without stumping up and it isn't easy to chase people across borders and in a foreign language.
snow conditions
So, would I be right in asking that you'd get some extra piece of paper when you bought your skipass that you'd somehow be able to wave in the face of the pisteur to drag your crumpled body onto the blood wagon?

No one has answered why the ski shop woman had the same idea - or have I missed the point [before the thread becomes a slog out for good/bad piste rescue experiences!]
snow report
MarjMJ, some French gold cards/other credit cards offer piste rescue and ski breakage insurance. Not all of them though, contrary to what lots of their holders believe - there are dozens of French skiers out there who are going to get a nasty shock when they need to be rescued.

If you buy insurance with your pass, this will be printed on both the pass itself and the receipt which goes with it.
snow conditions
Lizzard wrote:
MarjMJ, some French gold cards/other credit cards offer piste rescue and ski breakage insurance.

Yes, very good point particularly concerning the Visas

This is the basic Mastercard assistance

Quote:
Assistance Neige
Prise en charge des frais de secours consécutifs à un accident survenu lors de la pratique du ski sur piste ouverte jusqu’à un maximum de 5 000€ par évènement, et avec un maximum de 10 000€ TTC par an pour une même carte.

Basic Carte Bleu Visa gives you no insurance for skiing either on or off piste.

Visa Premier, Visa Infinite, Gold MasterCard and Platinum MasterCard give you on and off piste cover.

contrary to popular wisdom you have to pay for at least part of your holiday with your card.

As ever check with your bank for the exact cover.
latest report
davidof, that would be handy information if I actually had to pay for my lift pass!
latest report
julesb was recently transferred from Briancon to Grenoble by private ambulance. Although the staff did ask if we had insurance, and I actually sorted things out on the 2 hour journey, when I told them I hadn't called the insurers yet, they said 'health first, payment later' and would have sent us a bill. Instead, I called the insurers, and sorted everything out, but on no occasion were we asked for cash, credit cards or even proof of insurance, all we were asked for was the EHIC card byt the reception at the casualty department.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, that's kind of exactly what I would expect to happen...How's he doing?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MarjMJ, really well thanks.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy