Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpine Elements?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks,

Little bit worried now. Our group has recently booked the Girolles catered chalet in Les Gets with Alpine Elements.

But I've just googled AE and find nothing but bad (and some very bad) reviews about them (yes I know we should have checked that BEFORE we booked, doh!)

But I'm not sure how recent all this bad press is? So I wondered if anyone has had recent experience of a chalet with them?

We normally go with Ski Olympic but this year fancied a change of scene, have we all made a terrible mistake Sad !

We are not looking for 5 star gourmet food, just want clean comfortable accomodation and plenty decent grub with the wine keeping flowing during dinner. And it would help if the staff are friendly and welcoming!

I'm thinking now that we might be disappointed!! any thoughts?

all the best Puzzled
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Westski1, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

This previous thread contains a range of opinions about Alpine Elements
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Westski1, Welcome to snowHeads. I anm not having a go, but I am stunned at the number of people who book holidays and then do the research.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Westski1, we went with them last year and had an okay holiday (our expectations were low) but it wasn't a patch on a cheaper one we had with another small tour operator this year. Flights and transfers were excellent and the rep on the bus and at the airport was a top bloke. The hotel manager was sound, but some of the 'youngsters' running the place did a seem a little disinterested, obviously a result of them having done a full season. he hotel asn't great but it said it was budget and never tried to pass itself off as anything else.

I think a lot of their bad press comes about from a previous business they had that offered seasonairre work.

I think you should just go, enjoy the snow and deal with problems if they occur. Going with the problems already in your head will mean you're thinking negative and things will seem worse if they do happen.

Well jealous of you gong to Les Gets - snow is looking awesome on there. I'm pining for Mont Chery already... Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Westski1, overall an ok experience last year from my perspective as the thread link above will show
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi all,

Thanks for the replies, feeling a little less worried now Madeye-Smiley

Seems that the Girolles is a new chalet for Alpine Elements and fingers crossed they have got their act together now. Like I said before we are not expecting (nor have we paid for) a luxury ski holiday.

The snow conditions sound fantastic out there at the moment and that is the main reason for going I guess Very Happy

will post on return and let you know how it all went

cheers for now
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi Westski1,

We had heard loads of bad things about them, but our friends have just come back (yest) and said everything at the chalet was fine, no probs at all. The worst thing they said
was the walk to the lifts, which is along a main road, meaning they kept getting splashed by cars, Oh! and paying £36 for 2 burgers, 2 chips and 2 cokes on
the mountain.

They said they would go back there.

Bikergirl Cool
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Has anyone been to chalet neve this year in tignes with same tour operator? Is it located as close to lifts as brouchure indicates? Heard rooms are small but are they ridiculously so?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
njm,
Quote:

Heard rooms are small but are they ridiculously so?

Wouldn't be surprised the rooms in the chalet I stayed in in Les Gets were quite small
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi folks,

promised an update on return,

Holiday was fine, certainly not the horror story reported by others.

Flights & transfers were fine, reps were friendly and helpful.

Chalet Girolles was ok, I'd say basic or adequate rather than "luxury". But the location is a bit rubbish and was the main downside of an otherwise good trip. Certainly not "almost ski to door" or "short walk to shops and bars".

The chalet is located outside the main resort and is sandwiched between a busy main road and a steep slope down to....another road. No footpaths and we had to walk down the road to the nearest lift in the morning and trudge back up again at the end of the day, all the time avoiding cars, lorries, coaches and all the spray they generate. Pretty hard going in ski boots carrying all your gear!! Probably a good 15 - 20 minute walk and about the same to the town centre.

also some issues with chalet maintenance, half the lights did not work neither did half the radiators!

Another rather minor gripe, only enough comfy seats for half the guests in the lounge!! But this is probably only a problem due to location, eg no where else to go on a night (without a walk up a busy road) so most folk stayed in.

But chalet staff were excellent, they did a great job and the food was fine. Nothing fancy, just good home cooked fare and plenty of it!!.

So all in all, it was ok, just take what you read in AA's blurb with a pinch of salt!!

But the main thing, Les Gets is a great ski area and the conditions were fantastic!! we'd go back, but not to Chalet Girolles!

cheers snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Westski1 wrote:
The chalet is located outside the main resort and is sandwiched between a busy main road and a steep slope down to....another road. No footpaths and we had to walk down the road to the nearest lift in the morning and trudge back up again at the end of the day, all the time avoiding cars, lorries, coaches and all the spray they generate. Pretty hard going in ski boots carrying all your gear!! Probably a good 15 - 20 minute walk and about the same to the town centre.

If they're claiming 'almost ski to door', that's pretty outrageous, really - I mean, they can hardly say that it's a bad snow year! If you can't ski to it at the moment, it's not exactly doable, is it...

Quote:
But the main thing, Les Gets is a great ski area and the conditions were fantastic!! we'd go back, but not to Chalet Girolles!

And indeed, that is the main thing! Glad you enjoyed your holiday Very Happy I spent a few days in Les Gets in mid-January, & wish it had been more - it's a lovely place, isn't it snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Had a last minute week at the beginning of March in Les Arcs with alpine elements and had a great time...we were two girls in a chalet with other unknowns and all went well...food was great, host was great, wine was plentiful and all transfers and contacts, hire, lessons and passes were easily sorted. Very friendly. had the best trip I've had, and it was my first catered chalet after 12 years of self catering...wont go back to self catering in a hurry and swear I spent about 300 quid less overall than a self catered weekend in Feb in Chamonix.

Does help that the powder was perfect!! Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
^ Cool Cool wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I wouldn't use Alpine Elements ever again. Our trip in March to Les Arcs revealed a complete disregard for basic Health & Safety. Our 5 year old received an 8 stitch gash to his foot due to broken tiles in the swimming pool. The pool was not closed or repaired and no warning signs were put up. An electrical power point was faulty electrocuting two guests - the chalet host didn't report it because 'they won't do anything about it anyway'. We pointed out that 110v would kill a 4 or 5 year old - Alpine Elements wrote back explaining only if they tried to put something into the socket. Unbelievable. Be warned.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
6 duplicate posts on every AE thread he could find......
snow report
b]holidayloverxx[/b], the same could now be said for you!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy