Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Volkl auroras

Poster: A snowHead
I like the look of these but am getting conflicting info as to what level they are suitable for. I know I need to try them out but in the meantime does anyone have any experience of them?
Thanks...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lou, I thought you were a bloke.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
comprex, any reason in particular? Shocked
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lou can't imagine really, other than 'Lou' being so commonly short for 'Uncle Lou who can send people 'round to nail your kneecaps to the floor'.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That could be handy I suppose.

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=46951
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ah, OK, now on to your question. What do you mean by 'level' and what do you want to do with them?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I take it you mean the Aura. It's a pretty big ski. The S&R rep at the ski show was pushing them hard at my wife (who weighs 55 kg and skis mostly on piste). I wasn't convinced about their suitability. Looks like a powder ski to me.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ok, I'm ok on any red, odd black, just starting to dabble off piste and enjoyed that. Am looking for a ski with good grip on piste in any conditions esp ice and crud.
I've always preferred Volkls but my current ones Attiva RT? ex rentals bought last year are not so good/grippy in those conditions.
So basically I'd like to improve some more on piste and off. Moguls are something else I would like to conquer.

163cm (I'm 169) 85 Embarassed

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 27-04-09 17:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
uktrailmonster,
http://www.volkl.com/ski/skis/AT4.php

Silly to have such similar names huh?

It was the Volkl site that made me think they might be too good for me. I want them to take me forward but I wouldn't consider myself an 'expert'!

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 21-01-09 23:19; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ah!! That makes a lot more sense. Sorry my mistake.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lou, what's the waist size and length on those ex-rental Attivas?

Unless you got one of the very lowest-level models I'm thinking a sharpening and a software tune-up might be money better spent?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
comprex,

Waist 66mm, length 156 - I know they are too short for me but had confidence crisis last year and talked myself into it as felt much easier. Normally happy on 161ish. They were serviced at beginning of last trip. I'm normally ok on ice but they just don't do it.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lou, my current notion is that you -do- in fact have one of the very lowest-level models, and too short at that, and that the Fuego, Tierra or Sol might be more of what you're looking for.

Remember, longer is quite likely better off piste, don't try to talk yourself short again.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lou, it's basically a ladies Mantra. Suits all conditions but more weight towards the ungroomed - whatever that brings. It's an awesome ski, but my wife (weighs nothing) found it too much and she's a great skier...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
comprex, thanks for help. Will keep you posted. It was actually the write up in S&R that caught my eye, talking about edge grip but still incredibly quick edge to edge, effortless in fresh snow, precision & powerful, quick response in short turns and stability in long, plough through crud. Yep I know it's an advert at the end of the day but seemed to sum up what I'm looking for nicely Very Happy
latest report
parlor, the Aurora is the AC50, the Aura is the mantra.
snow report
Lou, it can be all those things to someone doing an instructor course in Canada.
snow conditions
parlor, thanks, would like to give them a whirl. I'm almost certainly not as good as your wife but weigh a lot more than nothing, so maybe that'll help wink
ski holidays
Lou, have a look at some Head Great Ones?
snow conditions
comprex, will do. Cheaper Very Happy
latest report
Ok quick update as I have had 10 days on my new skis. I did go for the Auroras in the end despite the gamble and all in all am very pleased with them. They did take me a week or so to get really used to them, possibly because I had been on shorter skis. They were put through sheet ice, bullet proof corduroy, big crud, little crud and varying types of slush. They did exactly as it said on the tin.
They weren't tested off-piste (I am only starting to make turns here) as the snow was just too sticky. Thought it was me but was with others who were also struggling big-time so felt ok about this Very Happy

So thanks all, and I am very happy. I won't take them when I go away for a weekend as I find the whole flying with skis thing a pain in the neck, so will continue to have the opportunity to play with other skis then and just take mine when drive.
snow conditions
Lou, remind us again, weight, ski level and length you got these in?
snow conditions
Lou wrote:
Ok, I'm ok on any red, odd black, just starting to dabble off piste and enjoyed that. Am looking for a ski with good grip on piste in any conditions esp ice and crud.
I've always preferred Volkls but my current ones Attiva RT? ex rentals bought last year are not so good/grippy in those conditions.
So basically I'd like to improve some more on piste and off. Moguls are something else I would like to conquer.

163cm (I'm 169) 85 Embarassed
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy