Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler advice please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
fastandicy, The Glacier staff housing is the ski in ski out, and most likely what you will get. There is limited stuff at Brio (another good location - as it is 5 min walk to the lift and town). Westside is currently used by a lot of construction and staff that is 'sponsored' VISA's. Westside is a 10 bus ride to town anyway.

This season, Intrawest pre-hired for ALL of their jobs - they didn't hire anyone here in Whistler at the start of the season (unlike previous years where they have held job fairs). The only 'jobs' you could interview for here in town were volunteer jobs. As the season goes on, positions become available, but not at the start. So if you get pre-hired , they will tell you, you need to be here by a certain date (probably early Nov as we can open as early as that - 2 seasons ago we opened Nov 5th with a foot or two of bottomless powder to the valley)

If you decide to go your own way, then you need accommodation, and then you will want to be here early October to have a chance at decent accommodation.

gortonator, having 'charm' is all well and good. I am just pointing out some of their flaws COMPARED to Whistler. I am NOT a good skier, but living in Whistler I am progressing pretty fast. Although, when I visit those interior resorts, I do FEEL like a good skier compared to the rest of the people there. In Whistler, there as SO MANY good skiers, that most days I feel like I am still a beginner.

There must be a reason why everyone seems to re-locate to Whistler.......
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I just realized that Westside housing will probably be used for 1st years again next season, since the construction should all be finished.....hopefully

I would recommend Glacier though, the rooms are a little smaller, but a MUCH better location. Look on a map for the Blackcomb gondola mid-station - thats where it is.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
wbsr wrote:
Although, when I visit those interior resorts, I do FEEL like a good skier compared to the rest of the people there.

I bet you've got really fat skis too. Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
wbsr wrote:

gortonator, having 'charm' is all well and good. I am just pointing out some of their flaws COMPARED to Whistler. I am NOT a good skier, but living in Whistler I am progressing pretty fast. Although, when I visit those interior resorts, I do FEEL like a good skier compared to the rest of the people there. In Whistler, there as SO MANY good skiers, that most days I feel like I am still a beginner.

There must be a reason why everyone seems to re-locate to Whistler.......

Not to doubt your amazing ability, but surely Whistler has the highest number of tourists and therefore the highest number of gapers? If you feel like a bad skier in WB then you're likely pretty horrible compared to the small town local rippers.

There's a pretty good reason why I meet a lot of "I used to live in Whistler but..." people here too Wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skisimon, wbsr, Once again a big thanks for the info. Really nice to get the heads up from people who know the lie of the land.

I hadn't thought about starting as early as the start of November so i better have another quick look at my plans. The biggest hurdle's gonna be convincing my other half to come out earlier as well.
I'm pretty much sold on going with Intrawest mainly due to the accommodation situation. I've applied through BUNAC for a visa and if and when that arrives i'll be applying for my Canadian S.I number.

All systems go Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
uktrailmonster, not really, only 96mm in the waist.

DaveC, I think you should finish that sentence, I bet it goes something like "I used to live in Whistler but..."
"I couldn't afford to buy there"
"I got offered a promotion and a raise to leave"
"I only get to ski weekends, and Whistler is busy most Saturdays"

not

"I think the terrain here is better than Whistler"

and by using your logic, more numbers mean more better skiers too. Or how about 'small town' rippers versus 'bigger town' rippers.... hmmmm which has more 'rippers' ??

but I am not meaning to stir things up, Fernie is a good resort, you guys get some nice snow and powder days that don't get tracked out. so you have your benefits.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
wbsr, don't get me wrong, I love Whistler, drive 8 hours from here at least 3 times a year to ski there, and would love to live there if I could work in such areas and earn the money I do now (not easy!!!). I just kinda object to your 'nowhere else in BC is worth visiting', now especially when you say you're 'not a very good skier'. How 'not a very good skier' can comment on the wonderful terrain available at places like Kicking Horse, Revelstoke, Silver Star, Apex, Red, Fernie, Panorama, etc, I am somewhat bewildered.

I grant you that none of these places has the massive amount of fine groomers and easy off trail that Whistler does - perhaps the places where 'not a very good skier' would enjoy most. Also, they don't get the crowds. But I remember when I went from 'not a very good skier' to a nowadays respectable 60 days a season one, and whole areas of mountains I thought I'd skied everywhere on opened up with new possibilities, and still do. The interior hills in BC are like that. For example, go to Apex - essentially a 1 chair lift mountain, and tell me if you can ski all the lines available there in a week. I know I can't. Then go to Red or Kicking Horse or Revelstoke. Personally, I'd need a season to ski those out ...

Sometimes the good bits of a mountain are not so obvious Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wbsr wrote:

but I am not meaning to stir things up

Stop talking like a dick then and enjoy your skiing. Whistler is great, but there are loads of other great places in BC too. Some of us might even genuinely prefer them to Whistler and it might just surprise you that we can even ski a little too. Get over yourself, you sound like a 14 year old showing off.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
uktrailmonster, <-- what he said Cool
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
wbsr wrote:

DaveC, I think you should finish that sentence, I bet it goes something like "I used to live in Whistler but..."
"I couldn't afford to buy there"
"I got offered a promotion and a raise to leave"
"I only get to ski weekends, and Whistler is busy most Saturdays"

not

"I think the terrain here is better than Whistler"

and by using your logic, more numbers mean more better skiers too. Or how about 'small town' rippers versus 'bigger town' rippers.... hmmmm which has more 'rippers' ??

but I am not meaning to stir things up, Fernie is a good resort, you guys get some nice snow and powder days that don't get tracked out. so you have your benefits.

You didn't get it in any of those, the sentance was "I used to live in Whistler but I got sick of the douchebags that moved there and the general desire to worship intrawest."

You missed the logic I was actually implying too. Basically, I was saying that Whistler has large tourists/bad skier to small good skier ratio. Smaller resorts tend to have a higher % of rippers.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thanks for all the advice. OUr holiday was for 11 nights and we loved it. Hopefully I will post more later.
we had a week, then my partner fell and broke his knee. Well, fractured his tibial plateau Sad
he has had surgery in Vancouver but it will be a long recovery. the insurance are being difficult, and we have to get home yet (he cant fly for at least another week)
Sad Sad
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi boo22. Glad to hear that you enjoyed your holiday but sorry that it didn't end on a high for your partner. Sad I hope his recovery is quicker than predicted and that you get the insurance sorted out. Also it's a shame that your post degraded into a slagging match about where is best in BC. I love going to Whistler but for me it's now as much about catching up with friends as it is for the skiing. I can't wait for our trip at Easter. Very Happy Hope you get home soon.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy