Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Forecast Thread

Poster: A snowHead
tomski01, Good decision to stay out of it - the way he's going at the moment I'll send him to La Plagne with you (but of course he won't be able to find you!!!) and marmite? as they say - you either love it or hate it Very Happy wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mrs Bungle, lol....well, im not advocating that...but he may not struggle to find me too much, my Dad who hasnt skiied in 8 years has apparently dragged out his all in one bright purple jump suit with dubious green patches (rest assured when i go to pick him up tommorow i will be attempting to remove it from his baggage!)...if i fail tho we will prob be hard to miss!! Very Happy

anyway, ill prob be signing off now til i get back, so everyone going skiing this week or next have a great time...lets pray for the snow as is forcast!! snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tomski01, Have a great time - its looking good for the snow - we'll look out for you if we do go over to La Plagne - come to think of it though if you Dad is really wearing that suit we'll probably be able to see you from the top of the Plagnettes lift anyway! Very Happy Very Happy snowHead snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It is snowing hard now, at 1500m in the Beaufortain, and the temperature is zero. It started about 6am.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is there somebody over there with current updates about the real time weather?
I guess there won't fall as much snow as expected?! Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Looking like Italy will get the best of the LP that'll be hanging around from the end of the weekend onwards. Should be some decent amounts there, though I'm not sure how high the FL will be.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
looking at the weather station in Val Tho the freezing is still very high, although it seems to snow on the webcams

http://www.valthorens.com/irdam/balise.asp?id=5&lg=uk
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The merinet.com live weather has the temp at zero degrees, but I cannot work out what height it is at, hopefully it's in Meribel resort!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
strange that the valtho Caron at 3200m is at 2 °C! and the Valtho Bouquetin at 2800m is at -1.60°C

very strange!!!

the lower you go , the colder it gets??!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
dio5 wrote:
strange that the valtho Caron at 3200m is at 2 °C! and the Valtho Bouquetin at 2800m is at -1.60°C

very strange!!!

In this case it may just be an error with their thermometers but temperature inversions are very common in mountainous regions. Earlier in the week as I climbed temperature got colder, then warmer then colder again due to different air masses being blocked at various altitudes.

Where I am it is snowing from about 1400 meters but the lifts are closed due to strong winds (I think that is partly an excuse as there is no-one around either) but with 40cm of snow expected by tomorrow their will be an increased avalanche risk.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
as long as the freezing level keeps on decreasing it's all fine by me, but art this moment it still seems high to me...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ah , and where are you?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
davidof wrote:
dio5 wrote:

very strange!!!

In this case it may just be an error with their thermometers but temperature inversions are very common in mountainous regions. Earlier in the week as I climbed temperature got colder, then warmer then colder again due to different air masses being blocked at various altitudes.

Where I am it is snowing from about 1400 meters but the lifts are closed due to strong winds (I think that is partly an excuse as there is no-one around either) but with 40cm of snow expected by tomorrow their will be an increased avalanche risk.

There are other possible reasons. They may be on different slopes, the higher one may be above the cloud and the lower temp. one may be being rained/snowed upon while the other is in clearer air.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
the weather has stagnated here today, not a lot of snow after this morning, and the snow level not dropping much below 1500m. It seems that the system forecast has sat around in the Rhone valley, and will bring us much colder air, and snow down to much lower altitudes, in the second part of the night, and tomorrow. But it's on its way....
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
the weather has stagnated here today

tough luck, it snowed all day here, a pic from the webcam before it got dark:

ski holidays
ok, Pam, David, where abouts are the both of you, and did it snow in 3 Vallees all day Wink
ski holidays
It was raining in Meribel (1400m) first thing yesterday, gradually transformed into wet snow by late morning (so conditions good higher up). Drove back to Bourg around midday, it was snowing down to 1200m.

Snowskisnow dropped by last night, it has been snowing from 1600m up all day in Les Arcs, the best part of 25 cms up at Arc 2000 by the time the family came down late pm.

Down at Bourg (800) the rain began to change into sleet around dawn this morning, the dry powdery stuff is now coming down steadily.... quite heavy falls expected this morning, snow showers from this afternoon through to Sunday evening down to 500m, then the warm weather is expected to return, with zero back up around 2000 by Tuesday.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 9-04-05 8:02; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
there was quite a fall here overnight (the Beaufortain at 1500m) and it is still falling quite hard - a good 25cms overnight, I'd say, though that's just a guess looking out of the window at how much is left of the fir tree outside the window. It's minus 5. Aiming for the first lift. Laughing We fetched our visitors from Geneva yesterday, in the rain. Don't do Saturdays! As they are non paying guests (our sons!) they don't get the choice.
ski holidays
hey can someone post the thread for the neteo website i have lost it. with links to the ski weather can't navigate through to it
latest report
pam w,

We could be on our way out to the alps in the next 10 days or so and will probably ski for a day or two in Les Saisies, any idea on the conditions there and prospects for it still to be open by the time we get out there......want to give our 11month old his first slide on a sled while we take turns to blade Happy
snow report
webcams show snow right down to La Tania! F/L back up to hovering around 2000m by mid week, so fingers crossed skiing over 2000m should be great all week and hopefully into next week, just need a snow top up next Thursday onwards for my trip Wink
latest report
snow-forecast.com have the temps dipping again next Thursday, with more snow, please let that be correct Very Happy
snow report
Skinutter wrote

Quote:

We could be on our way out to the alps in the next 10 days or so and will probably ski for a day or two in Les Saisies, any idea on the conditions there and prospects for it still to be open by the time we get out

you will be fine this week, as we are having a good dump at the moment (not a day for blades today!) and although some parts of the area are closed, others will be in good nick. If the long term forecast for more snow and colder conditions at the end of the week come true, you should be OK through to the 22nd, which is when things are going to be closing down. PM me if you are coming and I can give you up to date info etc.
snow report
Thanks Pam, will do....where are you based out of interest (in the beaufortain I mean)
latest report
Les Saisies.
snow conditions
lucky lucky you,we had the option to buy a place there some years back at a good price and didnt - what a mistake, prices have shot up in recent years.
snow conditions
gregh wrote:
ok, Pam, David, where abouts are the both of you, and did it snow in 3 Vallees all day ;)

Hi Greg,

Glad you got some snow. We wanted to climb to the refuge du merlet in the Belledonne on Saturday night but after slogging 600 vertical meters in 80cm of fresh snow did a U-turn. This pic of cyril gives an idea of the condtions:

So by 8pm there has been 80cm of fresh snow in the pre-Alpes at 1400 meters altitude with the snow starting from 600m.

Today we moved over to the Chartreuse theatre - a lot more trees so slightly less risk of avalanches, especially given the amount of snow being moved around in the wind.

I'm not sure what Seb was trying here but you can see snow down to 800m:

although there is little base under 1400-1600m off pistes. Still the skiing will now be fantastic in most resorts that caught some of this storm. I understand there has been even more snow in the Mont-Blanc area than with us in the Chartreuse/Belledonne.
snow report
I've not gone yet David, go on Sunday, so very impressed with this storm! We took a gamble booking this late and were hoping the April storms deliver!

snow-forecast for Courcheval has f/l over 2000m by Thursday the dropping to 1900 over the weekend with more snow Very Happy

Does anyone else's long range forecast agree? (Please say yes !)

cheers,

greg
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've noticed the FL is higher than originally forecast from today through Friday, but at least if there's no or little rain it shouldn't do too much damage. Saturday sees some cooler temps with a little snow, then next Monday another drop in temperatures....

All a bit far off, but a reasonable forecast for conserving the snow we've got, at this time of year...
latest report
Not had much time, but next weekend's looking remarkably like the one you've just have, though perhaps warmer. More later.
snow report
skanky, we need you over on the EOSB thread in the approach to the Bourg St Maurice invasion on the 23rd! 11 days to go now, what's the prognosis??
ski holidays
cheers Skanky, seems very much like last week, with each 6 hour run chaning slightly, last night snow-forecast had cold and snow by the weekend at 1300m, now its rain, snow, rain with f/l changing between 2000m and 900m!!
ski holidays
Starting to warm up nicely to the east, so Austria could be more and more affected by the heat now.

Not had too much time to look in detail. Main variation between the models is from run to run, which means that though the agreement up to and including the weekend between the models seems acceptable for a general forecast, it could change. The 06z GFS gets the most data though, so I'll stick my neck out with this one. After the weekend (second paragraph) take with a handful of salt at the moment.

Most models seem to agree on another LP over Italy bringing precipitation to the region. Of course, this means southerlies for the eastern parts, thus adding ton the warming there. It should however bring some cooler air down the western side so France and parts fo Switzerland should see temps lowered from about Friday onwards. Wednesday & Thursday are probably the driest days before things should start kicking off again Friday morning. There's good potential every day from then onwards. After the weekend things are still a bit changeable

However, as the Italian LP moves away, a large LP system looks become more dominant over UK and with the winds to the SE of this being SW and S, warmer air moves up into the continent. Basically, overnight Sunday night a warm front moves through the region rasing temps and bringing precipitation. Then Monday night, temps drop again (though not especially cold) as a cold front moves through. This is the GFS POV, the other models are not quite so clear cut. GFS also suggests some colder air may follow. As I say, it's only one model's take and though UKMO backs it up a little ECMWF has very different set-up though with possibly similar outcomes, probably less precipitation.

Unsettled.
ski holidays
12Z GFS has cooled things down somewhat.....ding...dong...ding...dong...
snow conditions
keep em coming skanky, looks like my gamble on the lambing storms is paying off so far, but still to far away to be certain...................
snow report
greg h wrote
Quote:

cheers Skanky, seems very much like last week, with each 6 hour run chaning slightly

b

dead right. FL up again in this morning's snow-forecast but meteo france also has snow from 1500m on Saturday. Weird how like last week it is, but we could be in luck. Or maybe a disrupted transfer day, with the snow disappearing rapidly thereafter. Keeps us guessing.
latest report
BBC Snow Report 11.4.05

There have been very heavy snowfalls across all of the French alpine resorts this weekend, which means that some excellent conditions dominate at present.

Over 30cm of new snow has fallen in La Plagne (70/200cm) and Les Arcs (48/150cm) over the weekend and conditions are excellent after the spring conditions of last week. There is a similar picture in the Three Valleys, with over 30cm of new snow in Val Thorens (105/180cm) and similar amounts in the lower resort of La Tania (65/191cm).

Snow has been falling all the way down to Moutiers. The southern Alps have not missed out either, with over 20cm of new snow in Alpe D'Huez (63/130cm). Serre Chevalier (5/45cm) and Les Deux Alpes (30/200cm) have also seen some new snow.
snow report
Slowplough wrote:
BBC Snow Report 11.4.05
Snow has been falling all the way down to Moutiers. The southern Alps have not missed out either, with over 20cm of new snow in Alpe D'Huez (63/130cm). Serre Chevalier (5/45cm) and Les Deux Alpes (30/200cm) have also seen some new snow.[/i]

Last time I checked two of those resorts were in the northern Alps - must have been the effects of that earthquake.

It was very warm yesterday above the cloudbase - around 14C at 2000 meters and not much of the recent snow is left below 1400 meters. The recent snow was accompanied by strong winds from the south and then the north which has blown quite a bit of the snow of ridges and summits which can be quite rocky.

I took this pic yesterday:

which shows a classic inversion layer (cold in valleys warm higher up). The snow was very soggy by around 11am except on north facing slopes.
ski holidays
Still looking a bit messy after the weekend still and unsettled. Tomorrow could get quite warm in the Alps and Friday and Saturday look to be very warm in Austria. Looking to have fronts moving through Friday during the day, Saturday during the day, to Sunday morning, Monday evening, Tuesday evening and Wednesday evening (timings unsure so give or take a few hours). Most precip after saturday looks to be showery, so amounts could vary considerably around the mountains. Freezing level looks like it'll be up and down but generally higher rather than lower. Looking to cool down (if briefly) middle of next week when a cold front moves through.
snow report
snow-forecast is currently forecasting in excess of 50cm in Courchevel from Thurs night onwards (above 2000m), so fingers crossed it gets that amount, they are saying heaviest snow will come Friday night.

cheers,

greg
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy