Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Knee injury Ski or Board

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My son had an ACL operation on his knee 10 months ago. He is about to go on a winter holiday. He is undecided if to board or ski. He has had 4 weeks on skis, 2weeks on a board. Any thoughts which would be the better option considering his injury.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was in the same position a little but my op was over 18months ago now.

I'd heard that snowboarding can be good as you don't get the likelyhood of twisting individual knees. Your knees will, however, take a battering as when you fall you're going to be going forwards or backwards. A friend of mine who boards said his knees were black and blue at the end of a weeks boarding?

I'm sure so more folks on here will have more to say on the matter.

Are you considering bracing in any way and did your son do all the PT etc? I assume he's back to all other sporting activities?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi NateDoqqUK. He injured the Knee doing Moto X. He has been doing Physio and Gym work to strengthen the muscles that support the Knee. He has been back on the bike with no reaction so far. He will probably board but prefers skiing.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You can still twist your knee badly whilst boarding, the vulnerable time being when you just have one foot clipped in, riding lifts. If his "bad" knee is the one that would be unclipped then go with boarding. Knee pads should alleviate the worst impact damage. If his "bad" knee would be clipped in, then I would suggest he stick with skiing if he is wary, as he is probably better at it after 4 weeks - just make sure the binding DIN is set correctly.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've done both at 6 months post op. If he's done his time in the gym he should be ok wth either though I found skiing easier (against my expectations).

I'd forget knee pads unless he still has donor site pain but maybe consider knee brace if he has a prophylactic brace for MX.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy