Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

success with youtube! anyone got tips for the skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
youngeratheart, IIRC - If I Recall Correctly...

Yes - Easiski has links to Les Deux alpes stuff on her website.... It is much cheaper to go skiing in summer and perfect for working on technique... Very nice because you can ski in the morning and swim/hike/parapent etc etc in the afternoons... (skiing is 830sh until 230ish I think) I was paying 35euro a night for a double room to myself and breakfast - right near the lifts too...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
comprex wrote:
A lot of people start from the opposite end (do this that or the other with the body) and are not even aware of where their skis are going. Not really goal-oriented achievement, is that?

Wise words! Always think about your skis first, what they are doing and what they should be doing to achieve your intentions.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, Angus Meldrum said last week that he always works from the feet up! wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hurtle wrote:
rob@rar, Angus Meldrum said last week that he always works from the feet up! wink

Quite right too. Anything Angus says, I agree with Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
youngeratheart, that really does look very good for a 4 times skier. I know skiers who have skied much longer that aren't as good.

Your body position, in particular is really good.

I'm going to try to bring together what little tiger, comprex, rob@rar and lungostyle have said.

Watch both of your videos and just look at the the shape that your skis take on the snow. You'll see that it's "Z" shaped. This is caused by the "tail push" that little tiger has talked about - which is you trying to get the skis across the hill as quickly as possible to slow yourself down. Instructors sometimes call this "rushing your turn".

The problem with doing that is that you don't give the skis a chance to work for you. Modern skis want to turn, but you need to have a little patience and give them time to turn. Imagine driving a car around a corner. You progressively steer into the turn and progressively steer out. If you just violently and suddenly turn the steering wheel then there's a good chance you'll lose grip. That's what you're doing.

Watch the video that comprex has linked to. If you look at the path of the skis it's "S" or "C" shaped (depending on how you look at it).

Watch it again and imagine the skier is skiing around the face of a watch from 12 to 6. You'll see that the time he takes to get from 12 to 3 and then 3 to 6 is roughly the same.

Now watch your video, look at the skis on the snow (nothing else) and try that count. Your skis go 12to4, four.................to..............six. Hopefully you'll see the difference.

rob@rar's alluded to one way to improve what you're doing:

rob@rar wrote:
think about your skis first, what they are doing and what they should be doing to achieve your intentions.

Find a slope that's shallower than you'd normally ski - preferably one that you'd be happy to straightline. Be conscious of the time it takes you to get your skis from 12 to 3 and then 3 to 6 by counting around the turn. Try to even out the time it takes to get from 12 to 3 and 3 to 6.

Stay on the shallower slope until you get used to the timing and then take it onto a steeper slope and try to keep that sense of timing. (Changes are almost easier to make on shallower slopes.) Be aware that on the steeper slope you might have to count more quickly:

- on a green slope you might count 1..........2..........3..........4..........5..........6..........

- on a blue slope you might count 1.....2.....3.....4.....5.....6.....

- on a red slope you might count 1..2..3..4..5..6..

The important thing is that you keep the relative timing between 12 to 3 and 3 to 6 the same.

(There are other exercises you can do for this and I'm sure someone will offer up some more suggestions.)

lungostyle has also made a very important point about something that will potentially stop you moving this to steeper and steeper slopes. That is that your body doesn't have very much vertical movement. If you don't introduce movement then you'll limit how much the skis will work for you. And if you do that then you'll go back to making Z shaped turns on steeper slopes.

Once you're comforable with the clockface then repeat it, but try to improve your movement. You want to aim to stand tall when you're at 12 and then gradually and progressively sink down as you go around to 6. As you hit 6, it becomes 12 for the next turn (if that makes sense) - so you stand tall again. And repeat.

Again, do this on a shallower slope before you try steeper slopes.

It's really important that you "sink down" and not "sit back". This is where doing the dryland stuff that little tiger has suggested will really help as it will help you "program" your body's movement pattern.

There's more going on in your skiing, but if you can sort out your turn shape and introduce some body movement then some of the other things will disappear.

A final thing. When you're trying to make changes like this don't be in a rush. Our bodies take time to assimilate changes. So when you're trying any exercise practice on a shallower slope and don't stop doing the exercise, or move to steeper terrain, just because you can do it once.

As an example, you'll feel the difference that taking more time from 12 to 3 makes. Don't just experience that feeling and move straight onto steeper terrain as soon as you experience it. You really need to keep going until you experience the feeling without thinking about how you're doing it (although few of us have the patience to do that).

Don't be surprised if it takes several attempts at going back to shallower terrain before you "get" it.

(Apologies that this is a long post!)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

comprex wrote:
A lot of people start from the opposite end (do this that or the other with the body) and are not even aware of where their skis are going. Not really goal-oriented achievement, is that?

I was definately not aware of where my skis were going untill I watched my clip. It was quite a dissapointment, however I am really glad that I posted it. I am feeling much more positive since I have recieved so much help from it. Little Tiger sent me some links and from then I have realised the shape of my turns (where my skis are going ) will play a big part in losing the tail push.

FlyingStantoni,
Please dont apologise for the long post. Thankyou for taking the trouble.

I love the still you picked. It must have taken ages to do that. Shame I dont stay looking so composed all the time. Your clock face analogy really works for me. I am a very visual learner. I am not always such a good reader, so just to make sure, am I right in thinging that 3 an 9 will both be when the tips of the skis are pointing down the fall line, and 6 and 12 across it?

You have just saved me some money. I was going to buy ski pass for the whole of PDS for 6 days But now I really think all this stuff is worth working on and therefore if I only need to stay on the green blues to practice then I will just get the local one and maybe spoil myself to another lesson. I am going to hire skis from Filarinski's (a local shop) and take them with me. Their charge is only £7 a day. With the current exchange will be alot less expensive for me. Only problem is I dont really know what to ask for. Comprex made some recommendations for me, however I might have wildly over estimated my ability Embarassed So now that I've come clean and shown you what I can ski like can you make any sugestions Puzzled Do I need beginner skis?

Oh. Height 5'3" about 160cms. Weight 48 kilos

just found it Comprex sugests:
- 15-18m turn radius (this will be a longer published radius than a lot of skis in the lengths below)
- no wider than 72mm waist
- junior race flex or intermediate adult womens flex
- between 150 and 158 cm
- favoring vibration damping instead of light weight
Please remember He had not seen me ski and said this based on my interpretation of my skiing.

Sorry for straying from the thread,

Mahoosive thanks everyone.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 24-01-09 20:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
[quote="youngeratheart"]
Quote:
...so just to make sure, am I right in thinging that 3 an 9 will both be when the tips of the skis are pointing down the fall line, and 6 and 12 across it?

Yep, got it in one.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
youngeratheart, on the ski front, go for something under 80mm underfoot and with a 15-18m sidecut radius. Tell the shop that you want something suitable for an intermediate.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FlyingStantoni, well done you. I'm not always the quickest on the up take. Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
FlyingStantoni, Thanks for the ski advice.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BTW
youngeratheart wrote:
I love the still you picked....Shame I dont stay looking so composed all the time.

Ah, but you seem to wink

This is from the other video:
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
FlyingStantoni, Wow fancy that Shocked So there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Just noticed your location. Will you be in Morzine in mid march? Do you teach? I am in the next Valley, Les Gets.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
(BTW - you're actually just a little bit back on that second image - see how you can see more of the front of the ski than the back, but IMHO it really is a very good body management for a three week skier. I think the other stuff is way more important to try to fix.)

I'm around Morzine at the beginning and end of March, but not the middle unfortunately.

I've got an instructor qualification and am working my way through the system, but I'm not sufficiently qualified to teach in France. And will never be under the current rules. (Actually, legally I can teach. I just can't charge anyone money for it!).

I can point you in the direction of some good instructors in Les Gets / Morzine if that would be of help.

One thing that you might like to know is that 30-40% of the top qualified ski British instructors I know have some form of dyslexia. Given that 5-10% of the UK population are thought to have some form of dyslexia then it would suggest that dyslexia and skiing are good combination!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FlyingStantoni,
Quote:

(BTW - you're actually just a little bit back on that second image - see how you can see more of the front of the ski than the back, but IMHO it really is a very good body management for a three week skier. I think the other stuff is way more important to try to fix.)

I worked out its nearly 4 weeks, (splitting hairs) But my last ski lesson was over 15 years ago in my first week, so, I am well overdue.

Sorry to hear you wont be there when I go on the 15th. However I think a recommendation of instructors in Les Gets area would be great, thanks.
Quote:

One thing that you might like to know is that 30-40% of the top qualified ski British instructors I know have some form of dyslexia. Given that 5-10% of the UK population are thought to have some form of dyslexia then it would suggest that dyslexia and skiing are good combination!

Thats because ther are no balls involved, (except the bravery variety Laughing Laughing Laughing ) Hand eye co-ordination is a related problem. However body co-ordination doesn't seem to be a problem for me. I am a lefty aswell. People I meet who own up tend to be arty and visual. Interesting.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
youngeratheart, dyspraxics also often are dyslexic...
snow report
little tiger, I didn't know there was any link there. Do know that riding helps with dyspraxia, it has something to do with the diagonal movement in trot paricularly. Any diagonally opposing movement helps to build bridges in the midline of the brain,apparently Puzzled
ski holidays
youngeratheart, I see no reason to change that recommendation significantly.

The 72mm waist size limit was because I wasn't sure you were in a sufficiently accurately fitted boot to ride a wider ski at the performance levels you want.

Looking at the videos above I am tempted to recommend a -shorter- turning radius (11-13m), in skis that might by some be termed intermediate-advanced. Your balance is certainly good enough to ride those.
snow report
comprex, Thankyou, for the re-assesment. Much appreciated.
latest report
youngeratheart - I'll send you a PM with some suggestions.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy