Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

success with youtube! anyone got tips for the skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Dear snowHead snowHead snowHead s

In two weeks I am getting the hang of using this forum, and now I have even managed to get these clips on youtube. (all by myself) Shocked

Please can anyone help with the skiing?

http://youtube.com/v/hA-nRX6am9A

http://youtube.com/v/rDbXRUjlZoY

hope this works!

Thankyou for watching/commenting. Thankyou for all the advice so far.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
youngeratheart, before a load of advice comes flooding in, what do you think could be improved when you watch them back?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
youngeratheart wrote:
little tiger, I am so inspired. Thankyou.

I think I am somewhere between the first and second shown in the vid. I wish I could show a clip from last year for a few tips, but I have no idea how to do that.

Do you teach because if not, you should. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

gonna watch you again now.

youngeratheart, no I don't teach... in fact I'm a disabled skier (movement disorder) that just took a hell of a lot of lessons with very good instructor/coaches... Altough the trainers at my ski school have tried to get me to teach for a while now...

The voice and brains behind that clip is Fastman who has been a race coach for 30 or so years now... and despite any comments in another thread about coaches all being amateur he is very professional!

Ok now back to your video...

Your stance and fore/aft balance seem pretty good... your arms/hands are great - they don't flail around or rotate to start your turns...

Now what can you do better? I'd say you picked it pretty well when you set yourself between 1 and 2...

You do have some tail push but probably closer to this video
http://youtube.com/v/sJlO_73a5zI&feature=channel (see tailpush turns)...
We want you to ski like the turns when the music stops being honky tonk tune... no pop and edge set... and no tail push either...

To get you carving it is important to get you comfy with different turn shapes and good steered turns first (so you can slow yourself down easily - because you will go fast! once you carve)

At the moment your video shows you trying to ski down the fall line... but I'd suggest you try turns of other shapes - like across the hill as well...this will give you time to concentrate on the way you turn.... perhaps try a medium sized turn - not big but not short either...

Rick has written a few articles on how to get better at this stuff - have a look on the website www.YourSkiCoach.com .... check out the online instruction articles... I think you will find some stuff that is useful to you.... feel free to ask questions...
I'd suggest the DVD series but I gather you are really strapped for cash atm... but when you get some spare I'd suggest getting the first two and working through them... they are very good...

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 21-01-09 13:30; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
little tiger, your ski coach link is bad - the ...dots... are fouling it
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
red 27, thanks fixed
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
little tiger, thankyou, what a B'....... Ive got to sort dinner then I can check it out. Why cant they sort their own grub and leave me to this?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Try to make more rounded complete turns. The transitions seem too rushed, provoking the skidding. I'm not an instructor, just my first impressions from your vids
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
youngeratheart, ok, my tuppence as a non-instructor (so even more permission than normal to ignor everything I say) is : I totally agree with little tiger about how positive your arms, body and shoulders look. Top stuff. As for the turns, it looks to me like you're squatting into them and this is causing the slide rather than a carve. The next comment could come over as condesending, not meant to! .... but, perhaps that piste is a bit too steep for your comfort level? I only suggest that because it looks like you're 'putting on the brakes' as you go into every turn. Practicing on a shallower slope would allow you to feel what getting it right is like and then the mission will be progressing that technique all the way up the steepness scale. Good luck. What a fun puzzle to solve snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
flowa, I thought that as well regarding "putting on the brakes"
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
flowa, uktrailmonster, yes but I'd say that is maybe more a result of her turn shape... and she has that slight stem... I think once she changes the turn shape and learns to steer her feet to shape the turn the rest should settle... with the line she has now if she did not "put on the brakes" she would go pretty damn fast... with a line that controls her speed more she will have better speed control without the need for the brakes. Learning to steer the feet well will offer her yet another option to control speed... skid angle...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
little tiger, sure ... and doing that on a less imposing slope will help ground the new approach so that muscles can feel what good is and then seek to replicate on ever increasing steeps snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
little tiger,
Quote:

in fact I'm a disabled skier (movement disorder)

Are you in the Para's team? you are amazing.

You really should teach, even reading your post, you begin with a positive and progress to training in clear easily explianed way. Fantastic imaging with the comparison to the music. Perfect selection of resources and a belief that, even though you have not met me, That I can improve.

I have been teaching riding and training young horses since I was 16. I can tell you that your skills will be wasted if you do not teach.

Now, back to Fastmans video. so, I now think I am doing counter rotation and tail pushing. Because of the counter rotation I cannot pole plant. I think I counter rotate because I am determined to keep my shoulders facing down the hill.

I noticed that my turn were very shallow but, only after I saw myself. I thought when I was being filmed that I was making much wider turns that I actually was. The best trainer I ever had said 'seeing is believing'. How true.

I am going to look at the other link now.

Thankyou so much. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
youngeratheart wrote:

You really should teach, even reading your post, you begin with a positive and progress to training in clear easily explianed way. Fantastic imaging with the comparison to the music. Perfect selection of resources and a belief that, even though you have not met me, That I can improve.

Well I have been taking lessons from Fastman... Very Happy and the camerawork is all mine but the video editing is his also...

youngeratheart wrote:
I have been teaching riding and training young horses since I was 16. I can tell you that your skills will be wasted if you do not teach.

Now, back to Fastmans video. so, I now think I am doing counter rotation and tail pushing. Because of the counter rotation I cannot pole plant. I think I counter rotate because I am determined to keep my shoulders facing down the hill.

I noticed that my turn were very shallow but, only after I saw myself. I thought when I was being filmed that I was making much wider turns that I actually was. The best trainer I ever had said 'seeing is believing'. How true.

I am going to look at the other link now.

Thankyou so much. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

OK - I did not spot the counter rotation ... but I'm a learner movement analyst ... I'll get Fastman to have a look...

You should give up a little on the "shoulders facing downhill" .... you want your body well aligned to handle turn forces and direct weight where you want... In a short turn down the fall line this will be facing "downhill" but in a longer turn it is really more to the inside of your skis not directly downhill...
Similarly you wll plant your pole closer to the tip of the skis when doing short radius falline turns... and more "inside" the turn for a longer turn that is finished more across the fallline...

I think of it like this... I want to be "sending" my body in the direction I want to go... so my body should face that way - as though I have a big searchlight strapped to my belly and it is dark and I want to light my way... and my poleplants should "direct" me that way also...

Did that ramble make sense?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
flowa, thanks also, sorry I am catching up with all the replies. I wasn't intentially putting the brakes on. I can see it now. I do need to practice on a less steep hill cos although I am very happy with steep and speed, I had not realised that I am using the hand brake all the time (so to speak). Perhaps I would freak out if my speed increased dramatically.

Quote:

what do you think could be improved when you watch them back?

Very good question. all of the above now you mentioned it Laughing I can see that compared to the link vid that my feet seem to be wider apart and the heels of the ski wider still. Sad I was dissappointed I looks a bit snowplough) I would like to be like more paralel and I see the inside ski slightly advanced in the vid link from little tiger, Oh and all the one legged stuff Laughing in my dreams.

thanks all
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
youngeratheart, what a great spirit of enquiry you have. I love the way you've taken on the very technical and specific advice as well as the more general. I think you're going to really enjoy working it out. Personally, that's where the pleasure in skiing lay for me for many years. Have fun. When are you going again?
ski holidays
On the snowplough thing, it looks like you are a bit lazy initiating your inside ski in the turn, so it gets left behind when the outside ski starts to turn. Think about putting pressure on your inside foot little toe at the very start of the turn and not pushing the outside ski away from you.
latest report
youngeratheart, I used to ski much wider than you... I was given some great advice...

Quote:
Do not worry about the stance. You use a wide stance because you are looking for balance. Your stance will change as your comfort level improves. Ignore it unless it is an issue because it prevents you using the skis properly.

As advised it just fixed itself by magic as I gained technical skills and stopped trying to get my lateral balance from the width... One year some folks were saying I skied to wide... not long later I was too narrow! (Ski instructors like aesthetically pleasing, coaches go for function... big generalisation but often true)...
Your wide stance is like training wheels on a bike... you will shed them when you don't need them I think... be aware of your stance - don't worry about it or try to force it...

A good way to try to get a good stance is to jump when you first put your skis on (or want to reset/check stance)... you will tend to land in an athletic stance - similar to that you would use if you jumped without the skis... this stance is where you feel balanced to move in any direction... this is "home base"
snow conditions
little tiger,
Quote:

Did that ramble make sense?

Initially no, but I am a bit dyslexic so my comprehension is poor. About the pole plants, so in my clips they would be nearer the tips and when I start to make a more curvey 's' shape turn they will be more to the inside of the turn. Did I get it? Definately got the 'searchlight' bit though. (visual learner) Smile

flowa, Thanks for the support. I am off to Les Gets on the 15th march. Too far off to count sleeps, but cant wait. Going by myself, Hubby just started a new job and not really that into it. Too much pain Laughing

uktrailmonster, I have skiid 4 times. .1st week Tigne about 15 years ago and had Evolution 2 Ski school. Brilliant IMV. then 2 years later i week in Tigne again, no lessons. Then a gap of about 8 years and about 5 days in Slovakia when visiting my new parents in law. No lessons. Last year 3 days in Sweden with my brother helping a bit. (camera man). A bit long winded sorry. My point that the only tuition I'v had was on long planks. I was tought to step into the turn with the back of the inside ski. Do you think that is what I am still doing? I really have to have a lesson on carvers if I can possibly afford to.

You all write faster than me!!!!!!

Think its time I invested in becoming a proper snowhead. I am learning loads of all of you. Time to give something back. It 5th birthday isn't it?
snow conditions
Yep, 5 in a few weeks snowHead

From your experience you're on form. Good progression and looking for the next level, that's what is so addictive about it Twisted Evil. Have a great time in March.
ski holidays
youngeratheart, Maybe, looks like you are pushing the skis rather than letting them do the work for you. I think the slight stem is very common, but should diminish as you learn to control the inside ski edge more actively. A wide stance is a good thing on piste if the skis are more parallel and the inside ski is edging too. It might help to try initiating your turns with your inside ski first by rolling it onto its outside edge (pressure on your little toe). Try it on a very shallow slope as it will seem strange at first, but it works well with modern shaped skis and prevents the snowploughing tendency. Once the inside ski starts to carve, the outside ski will naturally begin to edge too.
snow report
little tiger,
Quote:

I used to ski much wider than you... I was given some great advice...

thanks for passing it on. That really helps. I wondered if it was to do with riding all day. Don't Laughing . Actually, thinking out loud, maybe it does!
snow conditions
youngeratheart, I'd say yes... you are looking for the position that feels comfy to you... atm horseriding is it... as you become more experienced skiing you will get a skiing memory of what feels good...
snow report
youngeratheart, I was betting the searchlight would work... never did for me - but I'm not a visual learner much due to the movement issues I have... Just think to light your way... keep belly facing ahead of you and slightly to the downhill side so you can see where you are heading to...
snow report
uktrailmonster,
Quote:

slight stem is very common
Sorry but, what is a slight stem?
Quote:

It might help to try initiating your turns with your inside ski first by rolling it onto its outside edge (pressure on your little toe). Try it on a very shallow slope as it will seem strange at first, but it works well with modern shaped skis and prevents the snowploughing tendency. Once the inside ski starts to carve, the outside ski will naturally begin to edge too.

I will try this.
little tiger,
Quote:

skiing memory

Any memory would be good, another weakness. But, I will print this thread if I can and take it with me.

snowHead snowHead snowHead yey! I a proper snowHead now.
ski holidays
youngeratheart, try those dryland exercises on the website... they should help you recognise how to steer those feet... and tip them IIRC...

try here http://www.yourskicoach.com/YourSkiCoach/Athletic_Stance.html and work forward through the links at the bottom.... feel free to ask questions - here on on the site
latest report
little tiger, thanks I've saved to favorites for tonight. Homework for tomorrow. Must sleep. Thanks
snow conditions
youngeratheart, no problem... you can always skip the explanations an just do the exercises.... but I hope it is not too hard for you....
snow conditions
youngeratheart, stem = narrow snowplough. It's an old ski term not used so much these days.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
uktrailmonster, I'd say stem = pushing one ski out to make a small snowplow...
snow report
little tiger, Ive started practicing the stacked stance and leg steering at home. Good job, I thought I was quite fit but my thighs ache already! still time to do some training before I go. Very Happy
snow report
youngeratheart, oh good... you understood it then!

I'm sure the leg steering will really help your turns... Which part of your legs is aching... remember your skeleton should hold your weight up so you do not want your front of your thighs aching...
ski holidays
little tiger, so perhaps I am doing something wrong. How did you know, Front of thighs. but I think it hurts when I recover from defensive to stacking. I would expect this to be more strenuous than just maintaining the stack.

There is loads more stuff for me to read there. Ankle flexing looks interesting. I live with an old injury to my right ankle which affects how far I can flex my knees before my right heel leaves the floor. About 5 degrees difference, bad for riding but so far I have not noticed it skiing at my level. Ski boots seem to determine amount of flex.
snow report
youngeratheart, ahhhh... OK... maybe the recovery is doing it...

ankle - make sure you go to good bootfitter when you get new boots... and tell him about the ankle... but I'm sure you can do it IIRC Fastman has a buddy skied very high level with a fused ankle....
snow report
Oh spoke to Fastman and he will try to pop in soon...
snow conditions
personally I think it is strange ask lesson by computer......but we can try.....
basicly you don't move very well and you prefere lift up the inner ski.......you can try to extend more your legs for produce the power necessary to turn both skis not only one and the other lifting up......
second but major problem .....you have "the little knee".......mean that you keep the knees to near.....in this way tha angle of the edge are different for the inner ski and the outside ski.........mean that the skis have different power on the snow......and that is a limit........
BUT i THINK FOR IMPROVE WIIL BE BETTER A LESSON ON THE SNOW......
ski holidays
lungostyle, agreed.... but from some other posts I understand she cannot afford lessons right now....

youngeratheart, lungostyle is a REAL instructor... unlike the rest of us... He and easiski work at Les Deux Alpes... which has a glacier and so good summer skiing - great way to take lessons as it is much cheaper in summer
latest report
lungostyle wrote:

second but major problem .....you have "the little knee".......mean that you keep the knees to near.....in this way tha angle of the edge are different for the inner ski and the outside ski.........mean that the skis have different power on the snow......and that is a limit........

My wife also has this problem (but mostly cured now). Once you start to gain more control over your inside ski (particularly early in the turn) your knees should start to separate naturally as you roll your inside ski onto its edge.
snow conditions
try warren smith dvds

and this

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=762306#762306
snow conditions
lungostyle,
Quote:

personally I think it is strange ask lesson by computer.

You are absolutly right, I am going to stretch my finances, I am trying not to flex my plastic too far! The knee thing is helpful. Little Tiger has recommended some of Fastmans dry land exersizes so I can do as much as I can before I go. Thankyou.

little tiger, What does IIRC mean?
Quote:

great way to take lessons as it is much cheaper in summer

I didn't know you could ski in France in the summer. My husband will never get me to lie on a beach or by a pool ever again Laughing

uktrailmonster,
Quote:

My wife also has this problem (but mostly cured now).
Thats very encouraging. Thanks

b]innerspaceservices[/b], I'll check out the link Thanks

snowHead snowHead snowHead Big thankyou. I might be going skiing solo but it won't feel like it, I will have all your names in my head when I am practicing all this. With no-one to catch up or to wait for I shall have plenty of opportunity.
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/jDzqese20ps&feature=related

Never mind what the skier looks like, look at the path of his skis. Compare that to your clip 2.

The first step is to want your skis to trace a path like his do. Then figure out how to do it (i.e. what he is doing with his body).

A lot of people start from the opposite end (do this that or the other with the body) and are not even aware of where their skis are going. Not really goal-oriented achievement, is that?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy