Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

From Geneva to Stechelberg (near Lauterbrunnen) by hire car or train?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I am flying into Geneva at half term in February - family of 4 with 4 bags and 4 sets of skis. Then travelling to a self catered chalet in Stechelberg. I can not decide the best way to get there - to drive or to get the train, cost appears to be roughly the same. Can anyone advise please?

Puzzled
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
philcox, hi and welcome to snowHeads, personally I'd go by train, maybe register most of the baggage through to Lauterbrunnen and just take an overnight bag with me on the way out, the journey is easy enough, typically you change at Interlaken Ost and then one other location often Bern or Lausanne, not sure what the road is like from Geneve to Bern though I'd imagine it's probably pretty good, Bern to Lauterbrunnen is mainly motorway with just a short stretch at the end the equivalent of a minor A road, however be aware that that last stretch is not great to drive late at night as it has a fair number of sharp turns and the locals often drive a lot faster than the speed limit which can be distracting Shocked

With all the luggage and 4 sets of skis make sure that the hire car can cope wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
philcox, I agree with D G Orf, I'd go by train too. The swiss trains are excellent. If you do, book the ticket in advance in the uk through the Swiss Travel service at http://www.swisstravelsystem.com/ . The product you want is probably the swiss transfer ticket with a family card. Like D G Orf says it might be possible to get the baggage checked through to Lauterbrunnen so you don't personally have to deal with it at the changes. If you drive, we had a hire car from Geneva the other week, it was through Holiday Autos and the agent allocated was Sixt. We had booked a Mondeo Estate and they gave us a Vauxhall Zafira which was great and it would fit your luggage in as there is a flip down middle section of the back seat which we slotted the skis through, we had 3 enormous bags plus hand luggage in the boot.

Oh and welcome to snowHead s
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
philcox, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Normally I'd suggest the train, but if you are travelling with a lot of luggage and the costs are the same, then I'd probably go for the car. It makes the self catering bit easier (there aren't too many food shops in Stechelberg!) and means you don't have to rely on the infrequent bus service if you want to ski Wengen or Grindelwald.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
philcox, train... cars are a stressful pain i.t.a. and if it snows can turn the trip into a real nightmare
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Everyone.

Thanks for the advice.

Looks like both options have their pro's and con's. The car would probably provide a more flexible option re food shopping etc but the train would be less hassle if there was snowfall in the valley. Will do a bit more research.

Thanks again.

Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy