Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is there a technique to packing?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, after years of hiring we've taken the plunge & bought our own skiis. 1x 170cm & 1 x 158cm. The shop threw in a Dakine fall line bag which seems quite nice. BUT - at the risk of seeming dim - we just can't work out a reasonable way to pack 2 pairs of skiis into it. Is there a special techique (i.e. skiis bound together or apart, edges in or flat etc) - or do you just end up relying on a lot of 'padding' to protect the bindings?
Any help much appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I put mine base to base, with a squashed up plastic bag between the middles to keep the 'curve' in the shape (ok... this is a little anal). Then i wrap a foam camping kip mat around them and tape or tie it in position. Wrap a pair of pants around the binding area, gloves and socks to pad the ends of the ski bag then chuck in thermals etc. Result... a pair of skis so padded as to almost be baggage handler proof, under the 12kg limit and half my ski clothes are packed.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This was what we thought, but it seems to leave the bindings as the most 'exposed' part? - I like the tip about the bag as we were actually going to bind the skiis in the middle - hadn't thought about the shape - we'll bind them at the tips instead.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wrap some more foam mat around the bindings. They take a hammering in normal use but I can see why you'd want to protect them during transit.
Mine are on a rail system so I slide them off for travelling - it also makes it easier to fill the ski bag with stuff.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whack em together, interlock the brakes, put velcro strap thingy around top end, chuck em in the bag, throw in the poles, zip it up and have a beer congratulating yourself on a job well done Very Happy

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 20-01-09 21:45; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
FenlandSkier, that is a cracking idea...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Rich - I like your style Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rich, I believe the velcro strap may be overkill. Wrap a towel or something round the bindings if you're worried and your bag isn't padded.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've found that the foam mat with a pair of ski pants wrapped round the outside gives me plenty of packing for the binding area.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes.

1) Start off so lamely that the wife takes over in exasperation.
2) That is all.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
slikedges wrote:
Yes.

1) Start off so lamely that the wife takes over in exasperation.
2) That is all.

a sensible answer at last. hear hear

another belter goes a bit like this "well if you want to keep some space free to bring back some shopping darling, you should probably do the packing"

sweet
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
barry, that is cunning to the nth degree Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
barry, you do sound like my other half - same name too Shocked . When the kids were little he'd make a basic attempt to pack the car to go away, then declare it was impossible, knowing I'd then do it, and fit it all in with space to spare rolling eyes .
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kelcat wrote:
This was what we thought, but it seems to leave the bindings as the most 'exposed' part? - I like the tip about the bag as we were actually going to bind the skiis in the middle - hadn't thought about the shape - we'll bind them at the tips instead.

You don't need to worry about the shape, unless you are intending leaving them like that for weeks on end. He suggested himself that was "a little anal", and I think he was right.

Remember, whenever you are using your skis, they will be at least flat, and when turning will usually be bent the opposite way.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kelcat, Just a suggestion like, are you sure you've a bag for two sets of skis??
snow report
Stick them in the roofbox.

Only really helps if you're driving to resort from home wink
snow report
Be careful using clothes for padding - carelessly placed, those clothes will get shredded by the edges.

I use bubble wrap to pad the skis.
ski holidays
Skis together brakes locked and plenty of padding.

My normal routine is to pack the bag so full of padding that they'd probably be ok if they fell out of the plane mid flight. After I've eventually sapped all my strength getting the zip closed, ready to settle back with a beer, I normally see my poles leaning against the wall...... Shock
snow conditions
Kelcat, I'd love to claim this as my own advice but it came from ARV after i too had a hell of a time fitting all my gear in a dakine Fall-line rolller

Split the skis and place one pair flat on the base of the bag alongside each other as if you were about the step into them. Bind the snow-brakes with rubber-bands to keep them up and the skis flat. The split the second pair and place them on their sides on each side of the bag with the bindings facing in, again bind the snow-brakes with rubber bands.
You now have all the space between the tips and tails to pack boots and clothing and your bindings are protected as they're in the middle of the bag surrounded by clothing.

As for the tricky issue of edges i use a couple of pairs of old jeans torn in two and wrapeed around skis to protect my clothes from edges

Hope this helps
snow conditions
Is there much point in carefully wrapping skis and protecting them from tiny knocks and scratches when as soon as you get to the alps you are going to strap them on your feet stand in a queue with foreigners stamping all over them and then launch them from the top of an icy glacier at 40mph? Laughing
ski holidays
Multiple skis in one bag is no longer a problem for me as I now have removable bindings:

How it was done:
http://www.backcountryworld.com/showthread.php?t=233&highlight=snowhead

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 22-01-09 14:29; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
altis...that is beautiful. wink
ski holidays
Butterfly wrote:
barry, you do sound like my other half - same name too Shocked . When the kids were little he'd make a basic attempt to pack the car to go away, then declare it was impossible, knowing I'd then do it, and fit it all in with space to spare rolling eyes .

sounds like a top man! we dont get many victories, so we gotta savour the little ones we do manage wink
ski holidays
When you get back home make sure you get them out of the bag pronto
There always seems to be some moisture trapped in the bags and leaving the skis in there for a couple of days is not kind on the edges
I go for the camping mat option with ours
snow report
Thanks for these guys - makes more sense now.
I don't mind the idea of me skiing over something & damaging the ski's - it's the idea of some airport monkey doing it.
Main problem was no combination actually seemed to go in the bag - but have a few to go on.
We know the damage that the edges can do as the wife has 6 stitches on her head where she slipped & dropped skiis a few years ago - just as she was returning them on the last day.
snow conditions
Trenmold wrote:
Is there much point in carefully wrapping skis and protecting them from tiny knocks and scratches when as soon as you get to the alps you are going to strap them on your feet stand in a queue with foreigners stamping all over them and then launch them from the top of an icy glacier at 40mph? Laughing

Exactly
snow report
altis, Brave man exposing yourself to potential sH criticism of the dirt spot on your floor tile and the fact that the weave on all tiles isn't consistently aligned wink Nice project by the way.
snow report
altis, How long did you hover with indecision before making the holes? Seems to me that you need to be very brave to drill into skis like that, mind you I guess people that mount bindings must do it all the time. Rather you than me though!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Considering that photo was taken in a workshop I rented, I reckon those are quite respectable floor tiles. You should see the state of my current place - mostly from ski wax mind Wink

I didn't hesitate at all. I'm like that. I have a plan and just go for it. Being an engineer (albeit an electronic one) helps a little.
latest report
midgetbiker wrote:
Trenmold wrote:

Exactly

It's more a case of having the skis cut though the bag, it's happened to me. Also it's the issue of protecting the bindings and brakes.
ski holidays
Kelcat, i'll suggest what not to do:

decide to pack ~36 hours before departure, taking your snowboard out of it's padded sleeve in order to transfer it to the coffin bag with your other baggage;
proceed to prop your snowboard up against a slippery surface then try to catch it with your foot as it falls over;
feel the sheer agony of the snowboard's edge catch your second toe, slicing right through the nail to the nailbed;
jump around in agony screaming (a la paulio when he gets his inexplicable leg cramps) whilst blood is seeping out of said wound;
realise that in order to really enjoy the holiday you're about to go on, you cannot possibly favour the injured digit over the next week;
try to find the toe cushioning thingy to soften the impact of your shoes & socks on the injured digit but don't remember where the hell you put it;
just to make things really interesting, spend all day on your feet cos it's part of your job.

that's what i suggest you don't do...
yes, i am a moron
snow report
sherlock235, Or a Moran.. guess the other thread Laughing
snow report
yeah, i'm that too!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy