Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurance Question

Poster: A snowHead
richmond wrote:
Good.
There was no punch up and you say "good". Oh well, those involved seem OK about it so move on.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Glad to hear that, how much is the excess just out of interest.
I have never taken the extra insurance and thankfully in about fifiteen weeks of skiing have never needed it (thats me doomed in March).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It says £35 in the brochure.
Will know for sure when I process the claim when we get home.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
MhicEasmuint, reading through this thread it sounds as if the skis were fatigued and not fit for purpose, in fact dangerous.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MhicEasmuint, I took the shop insurance out this year but one thing they don't mention is the excess, i was lucky and never needed to use it but people should be aware.

Example

hired Rossignal ZENITH carvers - cost to replace according to the shop 600 euros - take the insurance and you only have to pay 109 euros.

Is it worth the risk I suppose it depends whether your travel insurance will pay up.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The shop's own insurance is well worth paying. The cost of a few beers.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, exactly. If there's a problem, sorted on the spot. Job done.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
At the risk of being boring, don't forget that insurance is only offered to make a profit for someone. In general, if you can afford to bear the risk yourself, you'll probably be better off doing so (you may be unlucky, of course, but that's the gamble you take when you buy or don't buy insurance). I don't take ski insurance when hiring, but it's always seemed rather pricey; if it was offered for next to nothing, I'd take it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
richmond wrote:
At the risk of being boring, don't forget that insurance is only offered to make a profit for someone. In general, if you can afford to bear the risk yourself, you'll probably be better off doing so (you may be unlucky, of course, but that's the gamble you take when you buy or don't buy insurance). I don't take ski insurance when hiring, but it's always seemed rather pricey; if it was offered for next to nothing, I'd take it.

I absolutely agree about self-insurance. However, ski shop insurance is possibly the only insurance I do buy - that and damage waiver for foreign car hire places.

Inevitably:

1. You will be in a hurry when the argument takes place - you have a flight/coach to catch.
2. Johnny Foreigner is inevitably out to get you.
3. No matter how fluent one is in the language (and I am not fluent), there is the inevitable risk of being unable to discuss "fit for purpose" in another language.

The insurance for a few pounds is infinitely less than the hundreds the shop would love to do you for. (Unless you know and trust the shop and have a good relationship with them; some people do, they buy skis there regularly, and take their friends along for their hire skis.)

A bit like paying the extra on your French lift pass for insurance. Even if it comes free with your bank account.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Glad to hear it sounds like he'll get his money back. I never thought about my own insurance covering my hire equipment. I always buy the shop one, as it is cheap one to two euros a day. Good thing about it is that if something brakes (clips on ski boots go a lot) theres no argument, just get them swapped straight over.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've organised a few trips now for our group (29 one year) and from now on I will be telling everyone to take the shop insurance. Not worth thee risk. I remember taking it last year when it was only 8 or 20 euro in livigno.
Never had any trouble with broken ski's before.

And to cap it off this week, one of the lads ski's disappeared from outside an apres ski bar in the resort. Not sure what the craic will be with that yet. The lad has dealt with it himself so far. He is meeting the police in the morning with the rep in case there are any language difficulties. The ski shop won't do anything until they have police report.

Ah been on right few skiing holidays now and never had any bother like this before then two in a week.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fortunately the lads ski's that had disappeared from outside a bar were handed into the shop on Friday evening.
He had already paid €250 and got the police report for them. But the shop rung just before they closed on Friday night and said they had got the ski's back. So lucky there.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
MhicEasmuint,

That is pretty tough. I thought the Neilson rep was pretty good, but she could definately have been more helpful in your case. Surley Neilsons has a bit of clout with the hire shop?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnboy,
I'm not sure. She reckoned the price was usual enough and that in other show in SC ski's were up to €600. So at least insurance will pay out for the broken ski's and the guy's ski's that were taken were returned.
Someone must have lifted his by mistake.

Broken ski's below.

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I had a similar experience this year in Arabba (not far from Selva as it happens).
On returning skis to the hire shop, found one broken behind the rear binding, which I had not noticed and so have no idea how long I had been skiing on it like that. Not obvious when glancing at it, but shows up when you try to bend the ski.

They were Rossignol Z9 I think and the hire place valued them at over 700Euro, I had to pay 50% Sad
Looks like my insurance cover is limited to approx £200 less a £40 excess, so I'm well out of pocket.

I could not think of a single incident in my skiing week which would account for the break, I was on piste at all times and never hit anything that I know of, but the fact remains it was broken when I returned it. Arguing that it was faulty or had some damage before I took it out is all very well, but just comes down to whether the shop keeper chooses to believe it or not.

I'll most likely be taking shop insurance in future.
snow report
In the case above the guy was able to get the full cost minus he excess from the insurance so was lucky enough. but from now on I will always take the shop insurance for peace of mind.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy