Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travelling by train to Arosa

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A mate of mine found looking up train possibilites to Arosa a little daunting, so asked me to look.

I had thought there'd be the chance to get a main leg in by night sleeper - but can't see it.

So, for a Saturday outbound travel loos somethig like this to me:

Depart London st Pancras to Paris Gare du Nord 0720
Arrive Paris 1059.

Depart Paris Gare de L’Est (10 minutes walk, apparently) 1224
Arrive Zurich 1700

Depart Zurich 1737
Arrive Chur 1852

Depart Chur 1908
Arrive Arosa 20009

So, it should be comfortable – but it would take a long day. . And as my mate lives in Bedordshire, he would have to get inot London some how for that early Eurostar.

Any of you Swiss skiing fans able to suggest somsthing better - best of all incorporating a night sleeper that it would be sisnsble to catch?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
achilles, first things first Gare de L’Est is indeed only 10 mins walk from Gare du Nord

Unfortunately that's it for the good news, so far as I can tell the train opperators have removed the Paris to Basle Night train which means there is no longer an effective way to make this journey at night, however doi not despair as you can leave london later than the 07.20 and still make it to Arosa, all be it very late realistically I think the 9.40 ish train would be the last practicle connection
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
D G Orf, thanks very much - I'll pass it on. Travelling to the French Alps is fairly easy by night sleeper. Alas, for those who advocate train travel to go skiing (as I did to Les 2 Alpes) travelling to Switzerland by train seems impractical. Sad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
achilles wrote:

Depart Chur 1908
Arrive Arosa 20009

I know the Swiss trains can be a little slow but Shocked
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
FenlandSkier, Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
FenlandSkier, The bit from Zurich onwards is ok and quite fun - I have done that bit Very Happy (watch out though because it is rammed with local 'day' skiers in the morning on the way up and the evening on the way down again - if you take a sleeper train and get there early), and it may be worth knowing what time is the last train up the mountain? just in case wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
achilles, Now I don't know how much truth there is to this, but for many years it has been rumored that French railways has charged significantly higher rates to train opperators going to non French Resorts, this apparently is why The original Calais to Interlaken train was removed and the subsequent Brussels to Switzerland one became uneconomic after a significant hike in the rates that had to be payed for the French section of the journey. I have a similar problem in that being on the South coast it takes a couple of hours train Journey to get up to London so that first train is not really practicle unless I overnight in London Mad

I am however hopeful that with improvements to the various rail links it may in coming years be possible to make the journey in about 5 hours from Paris it's already possible to Get a TGV to Basle from Paris in about 3.5 hours Unfortunately the last fast train of the day leaves Paris at 12.24 one hor later and a faster connection within Switzerland would make a big difference Sad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy