Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Der Weissering - Lech Zurs

Poster: A snowHead
How easy is this for kids? Off to Stuben in 5 weeks time and my elder two have had 3 weeks skiing under their belts plus a few trips to Xscape and some group lessons at Glasgow Ski Centre. They are 8 and 11 and at a reasonable standard - ie parallel turning and can handle reds and some blacks.
This will be my 6/7th visit to the region and have never done the Weissering Embarassed Really would like to try it this year. Would my kids be able to do as I understand that the section down to Zug is a ski route rather than piste?
Any hints or tips would be appreciated and how long should we set aside, bearing in mind that I'll need to be back in Stuben to pick up my youngest from ski school. Also is it better starting in Zurs or Lech - I'm presuming Zurs for us as we're staying in Stuben?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ah! my favorite route. Its not very difficult in decent conditions no worse than many reds. Why not have a trial run yourself, takes half a morning if you get a move on. ?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Depends on the conditions - some of the runs are unpisted itineraries (ski routes) so if it's fresh powder can be bumpy...there aren't to many bits that are that steep IIRC however. The route down to Zug is no worse than some reds, and can get 'pisted' by the amount of traffic if it's not snowed recently. Definitely start from Zurs if you are staying in stuben - to be frank we've often got as far as Lech and then stopped and played there for most of the arvo before taking the bus back...

the record is 45 minutes...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Allow a couple of hours with a coffee stop. The run down to Zug has one bit which requires poling and by the time I have got down the final part into the chairlift at Zug which seems to be in permanent shade, I really need a hot drink! The runs off the Rufikopf cable car in Lech are superb and you have to do one short T-bar before Zurs.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Somehow I find that children revel in bumpy conditions, they are always the ones seeking out the side of the piste to play, if they can ski reds will probably be OK.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for all the advice folks. Will definitely be giving it a bash then - will see if we can do it in 44 mins wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bertie bassett, I was thinking 45 minutes sounded rather brisk for a recreational ski around the route = but of course that time would have been set during the Weiss Ring race
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boabski, I just returned from a week in Lech and we skied that route quite a lot. It is not terribly difficult, but there are some places where you need a decent rate of speed in order to get over the hump in the distance. It usually took us a couple of hours, but we were in no particular hurry. Besides, if we broke the record, who could we prove it to? Ourselves? The lift operator? So we took our time.

Incidentally, it is a good route to use when going back and forth from St. Anton. We stayed in Lech and would take the route to Zurs, which made for a shorter bus ride to the first lift that feeds into the other side. And coming back, sometimes we would take an earlier bus, get off at Zurs, and then ski around back to Lech.

For anyone considering Lech hotels, we stayed at the Haldenhof and had a really good stay. Good rooms, with excellent service and half board.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You need to pad the run out a bit to make a full day. If starting from Zurs, Stop at the champagne bar at the top of the lift out of Zug. Widen the ring by taking the Zugerberg (?) lift, extreme left on piste map. Have lunch & a sunbathe at Petersboden, Oberlech. Do a few runs centered on OberLech allowing an hour to do the easy run back to Zurs. If funds are tight stay at the excellent b&b Dr Murr's in Zurs, clean, cheap, a few steps from the Chair lift & an apres ski snack thrown in. The owner Michael is a ski instructor, his wife Verena looked after me well, I think the brother is the local policeman. They have their own ambulance & in house surgery for dealing with skiing accidents. Eating out in the local Stube or even the Luxury hotels is not as expensive as you might imagine.
http://www.bergdoktor.at/flash/index.htm
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
To have any chance of doing in 45 mins, you would have to do it early - the run is groomed and the queues, esp on Madloch and Ruffikopf are not bad. You can easily kiss off 10+ mins in either queue in the morning peak, ie usually between 10 and lunchtime.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boabski, Ignore ulmerhutte, it's nearly his bedtime downunder. You will be extremely lucky to find routes 32 & 33 pisted to perfection. We skied it last Thursday and it had become mogulled after the heavy snowfall and the amount of traffic it gets. It does get very busy on a sunny day because everyone heads out from Lech. However, the signs said that it had been pisted that day, so I would suggest if you want to find it in a reasonable condition for your kids then go first thing in the morning.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Erica, I think you must be going to some other resort, perhaps in a parallel universe, or do you get out of bed at the crack of 11am and then tackle the run? NehNeh Of course, it will chew up quickly after a heavy snowfall - dry hardpack does. That said, which part of my previous post should boabski ignore?

I will be there next Friday - for a month(!!!), so I will be sure to take some more photos of pisted-perfection. Twisted Evil
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ulmerhutte,

45 mins to complete Der Weisse Ring?

I had this disagreement with a fellow snowhead when we met for a drink in London. You need at least 6 ski lifts to complete the circle, that in itself will take longer than 45 minutes.

Do the rules allow you to use your personal helicopter in place of the lifts? After all Lech is the sort of place you would have your own helicopter.

Lech was of course where they shot scenes for Bridget Jones Diary (Part 2).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ulmerhutte, I think I've lived my whole life in a parallel universe. We take the Rufikopf first thing but we do get distracted by skiing from the Trittkopf and the Zusertali etc.etc. and it's always 1 ish before we hit the Madloch. We aim to be in Oberlech for lunch. This year we didn't stick to the Madloch but turned left down route 32 or 33 whichever. That was definitely unpisted. I learnt to ski in Lech and I've skied the Madloch as a 2nd week skier (with ski school) as well as a 16 week skier so I know very well what it's like to ski as an inexperienced skier. I just think it is a little misleading to describe it as you would any other piste.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think my post was misunderstood.... when I said "any chance of doing it in 45 mins", I was suggesting that your only hope might be first in the morning, but I should have said explicitly that I am dubious it is possible.

In fact, correction, I will now say it is impossible... I just checked this year's race results at http://services.datasport.com/2009/winter/weissering/ and the winner did it in 44:35. So, on a clear course, with gun skiers, the winner just manged to get under 45 mins.

Erica... now I understand: if you hit Madloch-Zug at 1pm, then no surpise that it is mogul city, and there are then a few spots that a low-end intermediate could really struggle. Yeah, I have not seen the other route you mentioned groomed, ie the one that cuts off to the left, near the top.

Suggest one morning getting the blue bus (I am assuming from what you have said above you stay in Lech) around to Seekopfbahn and give the run a go then. It you will see it in a totally different mood. That said, it is hard not to be distracted by a pristine Zursertali. Too many choices, too little time (especially before the crowds arrive).
snow report
boabski,
You sound like an experienced skiier. I would however shed a word of caution for your children as the section between Madloch and Zug is very tough at any time of the day. Leaving aside the fact that sections of it are unprepared (its a ski route as opposed to piste) it is very tricky. I am a reasonable intermediate and I didn't really enjoy that section.

On a more general note I attach the official website showing the route just in case you haven't already seen it. I was told last year that the whole circuit takes roughly two hours at a leisurely pace which I found to be reasonably accurate. On top of that you should allow for a few additional runs above Lech which has probably the best skiing in the area.

http://www.derweissering.at/english/index.html

Enjoy
ski holidays
Thanks again folks. All good advice.

PS Thought this was ulmerhutte http://www.krazykanguruh.com/gallery/show/photo/?f=17853, but he's not there yet Puzzled

erica2004, How was the Hotel Arlberg then?
snow conditions
ulmerhutte wrote:
So, on a clear course, with gun skiers, the winner just manged to get under 45 mins.

But they are merely Austrians in Spandex & on skis. We are British in jeans & on blades. So sub 45 mins should be a cert. wink
snow report
boabski, Ah - we stayed in the Gasthof Post this year, which was lovely. I've stayed in the Arlberg a few times. On balance, the Arlberg is better (for us) than the Post. The Arlberg is little more modern and the food is better. However, for overall 'enjoyability' I preferred the Hotel Salome in Oberlech. I'd be interested to try the Montana, on your recommendation though. Next year, I hope we might try the Rote Wand in Zug. Enjoy your trip. It's the loveliest place in Europe. (except my 300 acres in Devon wink )
latest report
erica2004, Ah couldn't remember where you were going. The food and atmosphere at the Montana are excellent plus it's always nice to see a former downhill Olympic champion milling about the place (patrick ortlieb). Will stop off for lunch when we're there.
snow conditions
boabski wrote:
Thanks again folks. All good advice.

PS Thought this was ulmerhutte http://www.krazykanguruh.com/gallery/show/photo/?f=17853, but he's not there yet Puzzled

erica2004, How was the Hotel Arlberg then?

Boabski... NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh

ps: I do not get into StA until this coming Friday. Time is going slowly at present!
ski holidays
Can anyone tell me please the distance between the bases of the Schegelkopf and Rufikopf lifts in Lech? I'm wondering if it's walkable in ski boots. Owing to computer limitations (grrr!) I'm having difficulty working it out.
snow report
About five minutes I'd say. So certainnly strollable in ski boots.
ski holidays
Cheers nozawaonsen Madeye-Smiley Just checking out Der Weissering and that stretch looks like the only part with any kind of noticeable walk.
snow report
It is a little bit of a bore, but it is also alongside a pretty river and you could also choose it as a point to grab a hot chocolate on your way...
snow conditions
Excellent! Any excuse for a hot chocolate Very Happy
ski holidays
nozawaonsen, Isn't the Schegelkopf the slow 2 man at the other end of town? More like 10-15mins. Take the lift up and ski into Lech, then a couple mins walk.
Clare - the Madloch is the itinery route - part of Der Weiße Ring.
snow report
erica2004, no I think that is Schlosskopfe? Two person lift that swings you out over the river? That is a bit further down.

Schegelkopf is where there is one two and one four person lift at the bottom of 34 into town. Brings you out by the bridge.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks Erica, we'll make sure we get to the Madloch early in the day - think we'll go with advice from fellow Snowheads and start from Zurs.
snow conditions
Complete Alberg novice - first time to St. Anton at the end of Feb. Not heard of the Weisser Ring but it sounds like a bit of fun for a day out from St. Anton, is this a reasonable assumption?
snow report
nozawaonsen, Yes you're right - the Schlosskopf. There's always easy off piste from the top of this lift when it's been snowing.
ski holidays
ClareA, Take the Rufikopf though and ski into Zürs. The views are wonderful. Hang on to your stomach - the Rufikopf gondola takes a swing half way up.
snow report
halfhand, Yes - but tbh you might as well 'break the circuit' and spend some time skiing the slopes around lech... oh and if it's a busy week then the bus back can be a bit of a mad scramble, you chuck the kit on the back into a rack and then leg it round the front to get on the bus - pretend you are a parisien and you own the mountain and you'll get the queuing etiquette. When you arrive at St. Anton it stops at a few places on the way into town to drop people off - I've been handing off the rack on the back trying to get my kit out when it's drive off before now!!

Edit - make sure you go to the platzl apres club for a drink - upstairs you can sit down and order food from the pizza place next door - decent food and a nice chilled vibe - shame they're knocking it down at the end of the season.
ski holidays
boabski, let me know how the kids get on will you, tempted to take my 7 and 11 year old around it in April....
snow report
bertie bassett, Thanks bud; sorry for being a dummy but is platzl in St.A or Lech Puzzled Also we'll have wheels for the second half of the week so may be able to avoid the bus?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy