Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tell me about... La Grave

Poster: A snowHead
Considering a guided off-piste week in La Grave in February.

Any experiences etc much appreciated. snowHead
snow report
 brian
brian
BrightonSki,

It's nae bad. wink

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=26658

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=37839
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BrightonSki, LG website has a fair bit of info - some reports on last year's LDA thread and also a bit on this year's. My website has a page devoted to it. Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
easiski, I'm going to have to get back there and do more.... I've been practising Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BrightonSki, make sure you're fit. It nearly killed me last year!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I only did the easy route... next time I want to cover more varied terrain, but I will have to improve my technique a touch rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BrightonSki, I'd definetly echovetski, it is brutal if you are not fit, you will be dropping serious vertical on every run...that said it is magic, it really is like nowhere else. We went with www.snowlegend.com in a guided group....don't consider it just do it!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
"Skier's Lodge" website >>here<< has great route descriptions with interactive route maps - click on the "read more" link for the route description, then click on the "start" on the picture to see the actual route...

Just need to remember to take your laptop with you on the day NehNeh
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm off to La Grave weekend after next....

never skied theer before but have spent 2 weeks at the Edelwiese ice climbing - quite a bit back now- one week we watched a freeride competition on Cote Fine- which was amazing- jumping off house sized boulders at about 60mph seemed to be obligatory.

Apart from the terrain, snow and vertical the village is very mellow, very international and the Auberge Edelwise is one of my favourite hotels- food / wine/ atmosphere- it even has a fully kitted out ski waxing room....
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
just back from la Grave after skiing Friday-Sunday.

Skiing at La Grave is not like other lift accessed off piste.

1. There is no easy option at all.

2. The 'normal routes' Chancel and Vallons whilst marked on the map are not marked or signed on the mountain they are not 'itinerary runs'. Chancel starts of on a glacier- with unmarked cravasses. It leads to the Chancel Refuge but to get there you have do some really very tricky skiing and traverse across a very steep slope. Vallons starts down some steep slopes and you need to keep clear of the 'chutes de glace'- the serac falls. Both require skiing what are hardest tracks I have ever seen- narrow- rutted/ bumped up with roots/rocks and tree branches. Impossible to relax without a fall and injury (and these are the flat bits). Then steep bumps to the bottom. This is all without going anywhere near any of the couloirs. Actually you can't relax anywhere.

3. If you don't like it- tough! Skiing off piste often means an easy ski back to a piste - or a shortish section of vertical 300-500m or so. If you don't like it then just keep going it will all be OK- not here - if you don't like it tough! If you get out at the top (3200m) then the next stop is 800m below the full package is now 3200m-1450m (sadly the top lifts are out of action due to massive rock fall on the Trifides poma) without human powered ascent.

4. Following other people is a really bad idea. Quite often folk ski off piste with a vague idea of where they are going- following what appears to be the 'beaten track'. This plan- whilst obviously flawed usually works on the basis that 'I'm really quite a good skier- if lots of people have been down here I'll be ok' This logic does not apply at La Grave. If this is your first visit then chances are that (almost) everyone around you is much much better than you and most will be quite happy to ski 45' couloirs/abseil into something even steeper and have all the kit in their rucksacs.

5. The snow may be very tricky/cut up/bumped.

I found it fantastic fun- but very hard work. Perhaps using new skis for the first time was a mistake- Line Prophet 90s which are stiff and very unforgiving (unlike my Foils which are a doddle to ski off piste and allow all sorts of errors to go unpunished) but by the end of the first day- with about 6000m I was completely knackered- a big fat sweaty mess- enough steam to heat a small town and with legs that would not turn.

Get fit- very and if like me you carry a stone or two then loose it.

On a positive note

1. Very friendly place- if you see someone on the mountain / talk to them in the gondela then the chances are you will see them again- at the huts or in the bar later. If they are from the UK and you talk enough you'll find that know people in common. If you have chatted to other folk in the resort- they will know them- it really is very friendly.

2. The skiing is fantastic! But demanding.

3. Food on the mountain is excellent- especially at Chancel and very good value - Vacherin Mont D'Or with lots of spuds, salad and jambon cru €18- compared with a horrid tartiflet and mangeld salad at the same price in a 'self' at Le Rossiere earlier this year was a total bargain. Other very good meals such as chicken liver salad with walnuts €12.

4. Great places to stay (Edelwise)

5. Free skis!! Edelwise has a Black Diamond test centre- where they let you try skis- for a day or more for free- and not just any skis- really good ones- with touring bindings and skins and if they have your size boots as well- gratis.

6. Free cups of tea!! At the gondela mid-station- fantastic!!

will post some photos soon.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I went there, years back, for the day. We did 1 and a half runs, was totaly spent after that (on a pair of skinny 7SK's). 1st run down triffides was amazing, no chance of making a mistake there though.
Would like to go back one day...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
edsilva,

I am going back next month for the fourth year running.

I think you have summed the whole place up perfectly.

Anybody thinking of going for the first time would do well to read your post.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
edsilva, Has Rossignol still got the test centre open there?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
edsilva, great honest report. I only live 15 miles away but I wouldn't ski there. Too many people have died on that mountain for my liking. Respect to anyone who skis there.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
chris, I'm sure you and Mrs Chris could manage the Vallons de la Meije quite comfortably. Lizzard thought as you do last year, and had a great time on 3rd May. You need to go with someone who knows the way though. It's not all knarly and mega steep.
snow conditions
Best Big Mountain skiing in Europe....Get a Guide it will be 10 times better.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Another vote for Snowlegend. Didi's a dude!
ski holidays
richjp, chris, thanks!

easiski, yes whilst doing one run at la Grave- may well be within a lot of peoples capacity it is hard. I think harder than say Point de Vue at Argentiere and psychologically very intimidating. Also doing one run is different from a full days skiing 8.45am- 4.45pm. So whilst quite a few people would cope with a day trip with the objective of just skiing Vallons- once at an easy pace I think many more would freak with a full days skiing as fast as they possibly can.

oh yes one other thing- there is no avalanche control at all. Again 'in bounds off piste' say in Argentiere or Val has the benefits of gazex and other avalanche control. At la Grave- nowt- they just closer the lift for a day or so to let things consolidate. Then there are the seracs- which do threaten Vallons- if you do Vallons it could be tempting to go right to the least tracked snow- but that is where the ice falls are.....
latest report
Scarpa, not sure the ski shops are also very good with just about any backcountry ski/binding gizmo you can think of.
snow report
photos

me

couloir bannane- I did not do this

and one from Sere Chevalier- coulior du gazex in background from notch in skyline to between the two groups of trees

ski holidays
Snowlegend are definitely the people you want to speak to (just get you gear with them). Sadly it looks like you won't be able to do the run down to St Christophe (via Rama) as it may be a struggle to get to the top of the glacier with no lift unless you are into skins. The pork with myrtilles is my favourite at the refuge at the top of the lift. For accommodation many people stay at the Edelweiss but you can always check Les Chalets de La Meije too as it is really well located see http://www.peakretreats.co.uk/la-grave/hotel/les-chalets-de-la-meije-apartments.htm.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
edsilva, nice pics. Happy days Very Happy

btw, they do a little bit of avalanche control, no dynamite though, all skier triggered Skullie by the guides who go up an hour earlier than the public opening of the lift.

Can thoroughly recommend guiding by Francois and Manu at www.confidentciel.fr - top guys.
snow report
brian, yeah.....that's what they tell us.... 1st tracks more like.. wink
snow report
"safety meeting" then first tracks...
ski holidays
edsilva, You're right of course, but chris, lives in Serre Chevalier, and so 1 trip should be fine. I take a fair number of people down the Vallons, and they're not all excellent skiers. In fact many are totally put off doing the Vallons because of the rep of the place and all the talk of couloirs, which is a shame. Mogs and pal made it down, and after only doing their first red run 3 days earlier. Poor boys were knackered though. wink
ski holidays
I do not think a strong intermediate should be put off skiing in La Grave as long as they are with a guide or instructor. As easiski has demontrated any guide or instructor will take their clients down a by a route that is manageable by their clients, assuming that snow conditions are reasonable for the standard of the group.

The other point I would make however is that the descents are long. Frequently you ski down to a low intermediate lift point simply known as P1 and although there numerous variations from the top of the mountain, at the end of them all you end up skiing quite long routes through trees which are not pisted, that can be icy and rocky and that have a couple of shortish red/black mogul fields thrown in for good measure.

As well as requiring at least reasonable technical skills, skiing in La Grave is therefore always physically demanding. There is no easy cruise back to the lift as you might find in other resorts.

The telecabine that takes you back is rather slow and I suspect that many of us are secretly rather pleased to get a bit of a rest.
snow conditions
easiski, I can confirm that as Easiski says I was well knackered. I was also very nervous. It really pushed me to the limits of my ability ( and bottle and we did the 'easy' route) and any lack of concentration was quickly punished with a number of falls Happy . In saying that I although in an environment that I had never been in before I felt safe under Easiski's stern instruction wink The day was unforgettable and highly recommended. It was well worth doing and I would certainly recommend the trip. This thread has certainly whetted my appetite again and another trip could soon be on the cards
snow conditions
Mogs, stern-ness (is that a word?) was required for that descent, but it was worth it as you say. Very Happy I'm not stern with everyone. Little Angel
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BrightonSki, I'm at Skierslodge now. This is my 10th (I think ) trip. Skiing with Swedes and Germans makes for a different experience. Today only did 2 runs - Freux and Chancel via Couloir Partout. Did it on teles so now I'm knackered.

There is no other place like it. You need to come. Skierslodge offer guiding and will take you to other resorts when LG is not in good nick - yesterday we tree skied at Montgenevre for example - nice tree spacing, untracked powder, and a coffee in Italy. IMV it doesn't get any better !
snow report
easiski, as powder fanatics, Lin and I would want to ski when there was plenty of fresh, but that is when I consider the mountain is at its most dangerous, so for us it's a no-no. Too old and wise!!??? (and scared) maybe? Thanks for having the belief in our ability though. Very Happy
ski holidays
easiski, I totally agree. Am only messing. I was fully aware of the possible dangers (as you will remember from the look on my face Smile ) and clear instruction was required and welcome as far as I was concerned.

The main memories from that day are the entrance at the top (scary), the sheer size and beauty of the surroundings, the changes in types of snow as we progressed down the mountain, hitting breakable crust for the first time Very Happy , the tiredness at the bottom then the exhausted but happy feeling at the end of the day.
snow conditions
chris, Read Mogs, last post - really, even without powder it's still not to be missed - you absolutely MUST!
ski holidays
Update on today. Only open to P2 rolling eyes ....face shots all day snowHead
ski holidays
edsilva,

That is a great shot of Banane..

ski, puke... wink

Might get back there in a few weeks
snow report
chris,

The scenic grandeur at La Grave is amazing it is well worth skiing even without powder, thoughthat dos add a llittle extra to the trip. (And sometimes a lot extra in physical effort)

Realistically in terms of danger peeople seem to be killed at La Grave through either crevasses which you can avoid by keeping below the glacier or more realistically minimise with a guide. Extreme steeps such as the couloir above which are readily avoidable or by avalanche. Sticking with a guide and avoiding the steep bits at times of higher riisk I don't see why the risk should be much higher than elsewhere it's people who push the limits who La Grave attracts that are more often caught. Realistically there are slopes in Serre Che that are a lot steeper than some of the easier routes in La Grave. For the dedicated nut La Grave is a mecca but I don't think competent skiers should be put off by its reputation.
snow report
T Bar, that couloir is pretty elementary by LG standards... but the photo makes it look a lot steeper than it is
ski holidays
Arno, That is why I liked the pic... Laughing and agree that that was nowhere near that steep once you are in it.. and you wouldn't give it much thought if you found it anywhere else either.

ISn't there other pics of it from a different angle, somewhere..?

If you can ski a bit then LG is worth it...but if that sort of gully puts you off, then they are two-a-penny there so you might want to think again. They get a lot worse/better depending on your POV

I think you can go and have a look at LG if you are a bit gutsy, but you'll need a guide 1st time round
snow report
Hi going for a week in Puy Saint Vincent towards the end of March. Really keen to get at least one day in La Grave.

Despite my name i'm a competent snowboarder. Smile

The general consensus seems to be that this La Grave is best tackled with a Guide so i've been looking at snowlegend and this site http://www.guidelagrave.com/english/index.php?id=&tid=&cid=&ws=1280

Can anyone recommend any others?

It'll be group of 6 some skiers and some snowboarders so need someone sympathetic to both. Who's the best for the Job?

Thanks
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy