Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Italian ski officials demand compulsory helmets for all

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Following a series of on-piste collisions, top figures in Italian skiing have demanded greater safety measures including helmets for all. Helmets recently became mandatory for children on Italian mountains. Gaetano Coppi, president of the Italian Winter Sports Federation, said that the current ski safety codes were inadequate. “Everybody should wear a helmet,” he said. “Problems arise because some people on the slopes are wearing protection and others are not.”...

Coppi has also argued for segregated ski and snowboard pistes.

This report from today's Times Online.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmm I wonder how that will affect the number of visitors to the Italien resorts Puzzled
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
the segregated ski/board pistes would really take italy of my possible holiday locations - simply because I'm the only skiier in my group of otherwise boarding friends.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Most people think it's a non-starter, anyway. He's not doing a lot in terms of the issues involved by proposing unworkable ideas. People will have a tendency to take to helmets, without any orders from officialdom, if they perceive a significant risks - as they now do on bicycles.

Skiing in Italy is actually a huge pleasure, and long may it remain so!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
segregated pistes will definately put me off, we all slide together.

The problems don't arise because of people wearing different levels of protection, the problems are due to idots on the slopes or genuine accidents..............although from reading some posts on here i'm beginning to wonder if there are any genuine accidents anymore on the sliding slopes rolling eyes

Quote:

A lot of kids drink themselves into a stupor the night before, hardly get any sleep and yet the next morning they are whizzing down the hill or skiing off piste.

I do agree that this could be a big problem and a potential cause of quite a few accidents Puzzled ..........but it's not just the kids, there are a hell of a lot of adults who do this as well. I'd probably wager that this is quite a high proportion..........i've been guilty of it before Embarassed but normally not able to manage much more than slowly slipsliding down the mountain the next day.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
IanB, and all, this is the chapert of the law where it talks about segregation
Art. 2.

(Aree sciabili attrezzate)

1. Sono aree sciabili attrezzate le superfici innevate, anche artificialmente, aperte al pubblico e comprendenti piste, impianti di risalita e di innevamento, abitualmente riservate alla pratica degli sport sulla neve quali: lo sci, nelle sue varie articolazioni; la tavola da neve, denominata «snowboard»; lo sci di fondo; la slitta e lo slittino; altri sport individuati dalle singole normative regionali.

2. Al fine di garantire la sicurezza degli utenti, sono individuate aree a specifica destinazione per la pratica delle attività con attrezzi quali la slitta e lo slittino, ed eventualmente di altri sport della neve, nonchè le aree interdette, anche temporaneamente, alla pratica dello snowboard.
3. Le aree di cui ai commi 1 e 2 sono individuate dalle regioni. L’individuazione da parte delle regioni equivale alla dichiarazione di pubblica utilità, indifferibilità e urgenza e rappresenta il presupposto per la costituzione coattiva di servitù connesse alla gestione di tali aree, previo pagamento della relativa indennità, secondo quanto stabilito dalle regioni.
4. All’interno delle aree di cui al comma 1, aventi più di tre piste, servite da almeno tre impianti di risalita, i comuni interessati individuano, nelle giornate in cui non si svolgono manifestazioni agonistiche, i tratti di pista da riservare, a richiesta, agli allenamenti di sci e snowboard agonistico. Le aree di cui al presente comma devono essere separate con adeguate protezioni dalle altre piste e tutti coloro che le frequentano devono essere muniti di casco protettivo omologato, ad eccezione di chi svolge il ruolo di allenatore.
5. All’interno delle aree di cui al comma 1, aventi più di venti piste, servite da almeno dieci impianti di risalita, i comuni interessati individuano le aree da riservare alla pratica di evoluzioni acrobatiche con lo sci e lo snowboard (snowpark). Le aree di cui al presente comma devono essere separate con adeguate protezioni dalle altre piste, devono essere dotate di strutture per la pratica delle evoluzioni acrobatiche, devono essere regolarmente mantenute, e tutti coloro che le frequentano devono essere dotati di casco protettivo omologato.

Tha whole text can be found here

It doesn't say that there must be segregation between skiers and Snowboarders, rather that there can be
Who is left to decide? The Regional governements.
My bet is that skiers and snowboarders will not be segregated from each other, unless too many accident and too much "lobbying" from the press (and too many journalists tend to write without knowing what they are writing about) will occour.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
segregation - what a fabulous suggestion! snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There is a historical precedent. When ski bobs (ski bikes) were more popular in the 1960s and 1970s, some resorts had dedicated pistes for them. But being hit by one of those things (which would have been steel frame then) would have been disastrous.

But this notion that skis and snowboards are incompatible is barmy. Providing terrain parks is a more positive way of dealing with snow users who want to get their adrenaline flowing.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Parks aren't just for boarders though.

Segregation of skiers and boarders anywhere is pointless IMO. Better lifts, better access roads and more beds in resorts means more skiers and boarders on the hill at any given time. So incidents will increase unless resorts wish to limit the number of ticket sales per day.

They won't though because they need to fund the better lifts, access roads and expanded resorts.

Would a better idea be to have goverment limit total numbers allowed on the slopes dependant on total ski area? I've no idea, but it won't happen.

So, next will be compulsory body armour with crumple zones?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Swedish skiers have side impact protection.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Politician skiers have hot air bags.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I see also you need to give way to skiers on the right? (also from Times article). Is that up or downhill, my right or yours?

These Italians are crazy.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Murdoch, yeah noticed that and don't understand, except he may be a goofy stance snowboarder and riding normally not fakie, in that case that would be give way to downhill skiiers................ rolling eyes
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy