Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

does it cost more to hire if you choose a particular ski?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have realised thanks to snowHead s that I need to learn alot more before I part with my hard earned credit!!!

Admit that I have never taken notice of what I have been given at hire shops, claimed to be intermediate and just took them and skiied.

Please can you tell me if the ski shop charge more if you select a particular ski? Thier websites seem to just give a price for different packages. I am going to Les Gets. Perhaps then I could try a shortlist out. Then I could take all summer to find what I liked.

If I dont buy before this trip in march I will get some tuition, hopefully I can find someone to share a lesson.

Height about 160. (if I am thinking about nose height, is that with or without boots)? weight 48kg boot size salomon junior 100flex 24.5 ( second hand last year, but I really like them)
my local shop Filarinskis hire aswell but if I am taking skis with me I need to be pretty sure about what to take they might do a deal on them if I like them but I only get to try one pair.

I still need to learn as much as I can about skis that might suit. Lots of ladies seem to praise the K2s ladies skis. The junior skis seem cheaper at my size can anyone recommend any specific names?

Thankyou for reading so much garble. hope you can help Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't advise on a particular ski - you really do need to try some - but if you're going to Les Gets I really would recommend renting from Vermont at the bottom of the Chavannes road (opposite the post office). It's a family business now run by Pierre who has gone to huge lengths over the years to get different skis for me to try, knowing full well that he's never going to sell me any (we spend plenty on other gear as well as rental, I suppose). In a typical week, I will swap between 3 different sets of skis, depending on the snow, if he has anything new in stock, what he thinks I'll like... it's a really good service.

Other rental shops are available (and certainly a little bit cheaper) but I really rate the attention and service at Vermont. They also have a shop near the piste at Chavannes so you can even swap half way through the day without having to go back into town. You can pre-book at www.vermont-ski.fr. Tell him Monsieur Parnell-Hopkinson sent you Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Perhaps then I could try a shortlist out. Then I could take all summer to find what I liked.

Nice idea. Doesn't work like that with some of the rental companies web pages. They will show you a 'level' of ski and give you one similar. We have generally used Skiset in the past, and up till this trip I would have said that was the way to go. Wasn't too happy with the ones I got this time round, mainly cos they were a pathetic girly pink, but after I got over my whingeing they were ok.

I would say generally that the more you pay the more responsive the ski you will get e.g. like getting alloys on your car if you pay a bit more.. If you know or have skied on a model of ski before it might help to tell them you like that ski type. It might help to find out if the shop will allow you to swap e.g. one or 2 times in the trip. I have done that when I didn't like the skis I got.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
youngeratheart, you have a suggestion of a good shop from andyph, I'd go with that unless you get anything else... You should always be able to choose skis within a certain range at a good hire shop... just like andy says...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
andyph, thankyou I have saved the link to my favorites since I am undecided what to do.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
youngeratheart, in your other thread you said you will never carve because you are too old....

I say rubbish! I'm not young and did not start skiing until almost 40 and I do just fine...

http://youtube.com/v/2Fs2jkOA74o

there have a look...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
little tiger, I am so inspired. Thankyou.

I think I am somewhere between the first and second shown in the vid. I wish I could show a clip from last year for a few tips, but I have no idea how to do that.

Do you teach because if not, you should. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

gonna watch you again now.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
little tiger, OMG I've done it! got my clips on youtube and posted them in bend ze knees.

perhaps, with a little help.................
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
youngeratheart,
If you are thinking of buying I think it's true to say, it certainly is in my experience, that most ski shops will let you try demo skis and then if you do buy they will knock the rental price off the purchase price. I am not sure if the larger chains do this, although in fact many of what appear to be large chains, Sport 2000 for example, are not a chain but a sort of franchise/buying consortium, similar to Spar food shops, of small often owner managed shops. Hope this helps, but it's like everything, whats good in one place can be rubbish in another.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy