Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Great News from Eurotunnel

Poster: A snowHead
Just received this from Eurotunnel

Quote:
Spaces now available for Half Term and Valentine's

Great news! Less than four months after restoration works began in the North Tunnel, Eurotunnel is pleased to announce it will be resuming a full service in time for February Half Term. With up to three shuttles per hour and a crossing time of just 35 minutes, you can spend less time travelling and more time enjoying your break.

As a valued customer and Frequent Traveller, we wanted you to be the first to know that we now have additional spaces available for Half Term and Valentine's. Book today if you are planning to travel during this period.

May we also take this opportunity to thank you for your understanding and the support you have shown us whilst the restoration works were being carried out.

Spaces now available

Don't delay - book today!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Boredsurfing, reminds me I need to move the dates of our March crossing forward to JUly Sad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Boredsurfing, Thank god, this whole turn up on time crap was very annoying. Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thefatcontroller, But don't forget, before the fire they were expecting to be breaking there passenger numbers handled record on that weekend!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Boredsurfing, I bet though running as normal that it is rare all trains are full for many hours as we had of late?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thefatcontroller, last winter we turned up on about the 22nd December, place was heaving, we were well on time but still had to get our booked train, no space on the earlier ones, All the trains were full until at least 6pm.so if we had been late it could have been a nightmare. Similar happened in midsummer, but I would imagine most times in the winter would be Ok apart from half-term
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
...and don't forget Speed ferries are out of the running Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That is really annoying.
We had to book to come back on Sunday 22nd, as the tunnel was fully booked for the 21st. Sad

Oh well - hope our cheap hotel at Calais is ok!

Do you think they would let us on if we turned up 15 hours early?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boredsurfing, SeaFrance might be in 'drydock' with SpeedFerries soon as well.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Came back on Sunday and I think they may have already opened the tunnel - I wasn't aware of any crossing over between tunnels like I have been on the previous trips.

We've had a couple of times when we've had to wait a while, as missed departure, or couldn't get on earlier train. But overall I think the service is great and there have been many times when we have got early trains - including last week when we were an hour early leaving .

Just hope they take more care with the lorries in future - one fire was an accident, two is beginning to look careless rolling eyes
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boris, Each to their own but as long as the tunnel is running we would never get on a ferry across the English channel Cool
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thefatcontroller, agreed - yet to be sea sick in the tunnel
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
NO trouble to move our booking forward to July. Wish we were still needing the March crossing though Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just had an e-mail from Eurotunnel....
Quote:

.....the reopening of the Tunnel will happen during the night of
9 to 10 February.

Quote:

Home straight for the re-opening of
Interval 6
Shotcreting the 650m of damaged lining took only
a month. Civil engineering work was completed on
9 January and the last elements of fixed equipment
are now being installed. 110 people are working
24/7 to lay cables, cooling pipes and catenary.
Following a series of safety tests, the re-opening of
Interval 6 is planned for the night of 9 to 10
February. Traffic will then be fully re-established,
bringing to an end the operations with limited train
paths and slower crossing speeds.
This re-opening in record time will enable us to restore the quality of
service which is so valued by our customers

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Boredsurfing, Oh dear, I had presumed from your title that the tunnel was being extended to Thirsk Very Happy
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, Have to be a long tunnel to get from Scotland to Calais Toofy Grin
snow report
Boredsurfing, But they have been digging since Hadrian built the wall
latest report
The Tunnel will be back to normal from February 10th Very Happy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7857423.stm
Quote:
From 10 February car, freight and coach services through the tunnel will return to normal, with up to four trains an hour.
latest report
A newdevelopment on the tunnel bookings?
Quote:
Important

To avoid over-extended waiting times, customers must advise Eurotunnel if they are planning to travel with a vehicle higher than 1.85 metres (including roof boxes).

http://www.eurotunnel.com/ukcP3Main/ukcPassengers/ukcTravel/ukpTravelInfo.htm
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, that has been on the site for ages now.
snow report
I don't understand that. It's always been necessary to advise if your vehicle is over 1.85m.

I love Eurotunnel - from driving into the French terminal this afternoon to driving out onto the M20 took exactly 1 hour and 20 minutes!
snow report
Helen Beaumont wrote:
Boredsurfing, that has been on the site for ages now.

Oh, I hadn't noticed.... one assumes a charge for extra height will follow in due course Confused
snow conditions
I don't understand that. It's always been necessary to advise if your vehicle is over 1.85ml or run the risk of being left hanging around.

I love Eurotunnel - from driving into the French terminal this afternoon to driving out onto the M20 took exactly 1 hour and 20 minutes!
ski holidays
Boredsurfing wrote:
A newdevelopment on the tunnel bookings?
Quote:
Important

To avoid over-extended waiting times, customers must advise Eurotunnel if they are planning to travel with a vehicle higher than 1.85 metres (including roof boxes).

http://www.eurotunnel.com/ukcP3Main/ukcPassengers/ukcTravel/ukpTravelInfo.htm

Always been there, limited space in the over 1.85m carraige so they need to make sure spaces are allocated but its always been there.
snow report
pam w wrote:

I cannot think of a better internaitonal travel experience than eurotunnel. I love it. Embarassed Laughing
snow conditions
thefatcontroller, I'm a fan too, but do enjoy the ferry.
snow conditions
Quote:

I cannot think of a better internaitonal travel experience than eurotunnel

Well I can think of loads, but as a means of getting from Dover to Calais it takes some beating. Especially when it's free with Tesco vouchers. wink
snow report
thefatcontroller wrote:
pam w wrote:

I cannot think of a better internaitonal travel experience than eurotunnel. I love it. Embarassed Laughing

believe me it's number two, behind flying Easyjet from Bournemouth, which is even less stressful than the tunnel Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont wrote:
thefatcontroller, I'm a fan too, but do enjoy the ferry.

To a high vomit ratio to even consider as a travel option with 3 kids. For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would want to book to travel in the english channel mid winter. Many years ago on quick weekend to Calais pre tunnel got caught on way home in force 8 and spent 8 hours on boat going up and down channel waiting for port to become available as boats had rammed 2 other harbours it as so bad. Truly horiffic. Kissed ground when got off. As pam w says with tesco vouchers eurotunnel is the only way to go.
snow report
thefatcontroller, fair point, but as we're all good sailors, it is a good time for us to have lunch/breakfast or just a break,as we have been on the road for about 6 hours by then. Agenterre appreciated the full English breakfast in the SeaFrance bistro last month.even the dog However, the free crossings with Eurotunnel can't be beaten, but they couldn't change my crossing time on that occasion.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont wrote:
thefatcontroller, fair point, but as we're all good sailors

mrsfatcontroller is fine, the rest of us............ Embarassed Embarassed
snow report
Quote:

I cannot think of a better internaitonal travel experience than eurotunnel. I love it.

I suggest you get out more... Shocked Shocked Puzzled
snow report
JT, Ok name better?
snow report
Back to normal to-night http://www.eurotunnel.com/ukcP3Main/ukcCorporate/ukcMediaCentre/ukcNewsReleases/ukcNews2009/ukcJanuary2009/ukpPr0901Channel-Tunnel-Full-Capacity.htm
Official Re-opening ceremony at 3pm today.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7878430.stm
snow report
Excellent news - I've a lorry load of hay and a small electric fire to take to France

Given they have now had 2 fires (and associated closures) I hope they are a little more careful in future
snow report
Boris, I bet their insurance company has similar thoughts Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Mr Hoon officialy re-opens the tunnel.

http://www.eurotunnel.com/ukcP3Main/ukcCorporate/ukcMediaCentre/ukcNewsReleases/ukcNews2009/ukcFebruary2009/ukpPr0902Eurotunnel-back-to-full-capacity.htm
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy