Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Right ski for me or not? Advice please!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have seen a really good deal on Burnin Luvs, last years model. I was considering Burnin Luvs along with Volkl Fuegos and one or two others.

I am looking for a really decent piste ski. I want something that is stiffish, stable, not chattery, with really good edge hold on ice.

I am 5'8" /173cm ish and heavyish approx 11st 12lbs / 166lbs / 76kg or thereabouts (but hoping to lose a bit Embarassed ). The 167 come to my forehead.

The good deal Burnin Luv is in a 167 length. I am not sure if it is too long for me Puzzled Last week I skied a 162 (I think), Rossignol Zenith Z3, it didn't feel too long but I didn't much like it, not sure why, it was ok but didn't do anything for me. When I was chatting to the sales girl in S&R about the Volkl Fuego she seemed to be suggest that on that ski you should ski it shorter and that I should be looking at the 161(might have even been the 155 can't remember). Is this right and if so would this also apply to the Burnin Luv?

I am just getting back from a 4 year or so break and so my recent experience of new skis is not much. However the last season I skied prior to the break, I had 2 pairs of hire skis which I liked one was a Salomon Equipe 3V which I loved and really brought my skiing on a level and on another trip I had Volkl 7.24 Motions which again I liked a lot. Prior to that I probably just had really unremarkable run of the mill hire skis and it wasn't til I had the 3Vs that I realised what a decent ski can do for you.

I'd be really grateful for any advice on this, thanks snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sarah, have you thought about finding a ski hire place that also sells all the models you are interested in? You can usually arrange to hire a different ski each day (or half day) and the cost will be knocked off if you end up buying a new ski at the end of the week. You will then be able to evaluate the different lengths.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Scarpa, thanksfor such a swift reply! Yes I thought about this. Last week when we were away we went to 2 or 3 places as I had a list of about 4 or 6 skis I was interested in but couldn't get any of them. We were in Les Houches, it's not that big and Dynastar and Rossignol seemed to dominate. The deal I have seen means that if I didn't like them I could probably ebay them and maybe get back what I pay or even if I lose a bit it would only be the cost of another rental or two. The other alternative is to go demo-ing here at Castleford/Tamworth/Chill or wherever maybe.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
sarah, I just had a little trip where I demo'd 3 skis on my shortlist... I loved one, one I hated, and one surprised me by putting a massive grin right across my face no matter what I did with them. (I bought those btw Laughing )
This thing is 98mm waist yet skied bumps like a narrow piste model.

If you can get a good deal and perhaps sell them on with little loss... then go for it. I'm in my 13th week on the snow and now prefer a slightly longer ski as they are more stable at speed, but make sure that you can control them.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sarah, Volkl Tigersharks. You don't need to ponce about with pink flower-infested girly kit at your height and weight.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Lizzard, Thanks for this Laughing this was another thing I was wondering, whether to bother with a ladies ski or not. I thought though that as ladies skis go, these were two of the most solid, and fortunately not pink and flowery, more red and fiery looking!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sarah, you're a similar size to me (174cm, 74kg) and I used to have Atomic SX9 174cm. These were a bit too long for me. So fast they made my eyes water and not good at short turns or deep snow. I took them to Kitz last March but on one of the days (we had fresh snow that morning) I hired Rossignol Attraxion V 162cm. Maybe these were a little short as they seemed really slow, but so easy to turn and very good in the new snow...

I'm going to hire again this season, even if that means trying a few different models/lengths of skis to find out what actually works for me...

Let me know how you get on...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sarah, demo the Tigersharks - they are just as you describe in your first post. In fact I may buy six pairs in order that I never have to ski anything else ever again. Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
queen bodecia, thanks will do.
Lizzard, Will seriously look at them, thanks.

Anyone else any more thoughts on the Burnin Luvs and the length?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sarah, I am 5'6", 63kg, and ski the Tigersharks in a 168cm, which people insist is too long and I should have the 161s instead (b0llox, say I). I was considering the K2 Luv series but when I suggested this to chap in shop (who also stocks K2, so it doesn't make much difference to him) he didn't rate the idea and gave me the Volkls to try instead.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 19-01-09 7:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I tried the ski chooser thing on Snow + Rock website and it recommended Volkl Fuegos 168. Doubt I'll get anything like that from a hire shop, but it's worth asking at least...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lizzard, similar thing happened in the hire shop most recently, explained to the owner what I was looking for and he picked out the Zenith Z3s, I continued to look amongst the skis and showed interest in a couple of the ladies skis, he kind of shrugged in that french way and said 'bofff...non' or something like that and assured me that I would be better off with the ski he had picked out.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy