Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort advice on Bulgaria for a first-timer

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there

I'm trying to find a resort for 4 beginners to go skiing in early March that we'd ideally like to tick the following boxes:
- good lessons
- good snow
- good apres ski
- not too expensive

Bulgaria seems to be the country that matches these, however, the blurp on the their resorts that the tour operators have seems to vary diffrently from the reviews I've read on forums, which are equally at polar extremes as to whether Bulgaria is good for the all the above or not.

Is anyone able to give me some sound advice on Bulgaria, and if so, which resort they'd recommend. Alternatively, I may be barking up the wrong tree with Bulgaria so if there are other countries that might fit the bill, any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks
Excited but nervous first timer! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
crabtreehannah, Welcome to Snowheads. there have been quite a few thread on Bulgarian resorts lately. Trawl through these and make your mind up.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
crabtreehannah, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead An important criterion on your list is "good snow". It might be good snow in Bulgaria at that time, it might not. But the same could be said of many resorts. Anyone who tells you Bulgaria "will" have good snow is lying!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My advice regarding Bulgaria is don;t expect too much and you'll be fine! My one and only trip to Borovets (never again!) only served to confirm that "You get what you pay for!". Equipment hire was awful (ski fell off half way up a chair lift due to a dodgy binding), snow was ok, bit patchy at bottom but fine "up top", apres ski was ok (met a couple of, ahem, "nice" young ladies!). Very very cheap though so your last criteria will probably be met! To be honest it was a few years ago now but I wouldn;t return although for a low cost trip it'll be fine.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bulgaria is fine for a first time - not great but ok and lots of fun. Slovenia is good too for a first time. For a much cheaper break you could try Sierra Nevada in Spain which certainly ticks all the boxes and in my opinion has the best nightlife of any ski resort anywhere.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
- good lessons - no idea
- good snow - probably not
- good apres ski - not if you want to eat well and like friendly service
- not too expensive - tick

Note I haven't actually skied there personally, but my wife is from Sofia and knows the place extremely well. Bulgaria is not my idea of a holiday destination, but some people seem to like the slightly third world character. Bansko is rapidly turning into a Brits abroad nightmare, so I wouldn't go there for sure.

Personally I'd choose one of the smaller French/Swiss resorts for a first ski holiday, it probably won't cost you any more. No need to go to a mega resort like 3V as a beginner.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Loads of resorts in France and Austria would tick those boxes, although they aren't as cheap as Bulgaria. I love Kitzbuhel which ticked all the boxes the week we were there - fab powder our week. My sister has just had a fortnight in Kaprun and had a great time. I admit the Bulgaria reviews always put me off....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bansko will be your best bet in Bulgaria
- good lessons - iv heard good things about banskomania also method ski school
- good snow - who knows but as a first timer there will be enough for you, also they are well equiped with snow cannons.
- good apres ski -there is allsorts there from young and lively to traditional mehanas.
- not too expensive -if you dont go to the obvious places its cheap, if your talking beer it ranges from £.7 - £3 for a pint.
I go to bulgaria every year as we have family there but also go to the alps i enjoy both ,alot of people do alot dont, as for your fist trip i personaly think its a good one.
If i could give you a tip it woulb be to book a diy trip cheaper and you can choose your own ski school etc not what your tour op throws at you, register on this site www.skidvd.co.uk you will get all the info you need there.
Hope this helps
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Kitzbuhel which ticked all the boxes the week we were there -

I've never heard it suggested that Kitzbuhel ticks the "cheap" box.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
romeowner wrote:
Bansko will be your best bet in Bulgaria

Agreed. For reasons given.

Only fly in the ointment will be the FIS Womens World Cup, running on 28th Feb/1st Mar. Significant disruption prior to the event, and maybe for a day or two after, so maybe second week in march will be best bet.

Been three times in total, last time with two "improvers" (skiers). They loved it.

The Lion, Perun, Strahzite, or any of the newer hotels up by the gondola will suit. Stayed at the Lion, food was even reasonable (HB).

John.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
i went to Boro last season 1st time ive been and the lessons were great. I got parra turns down by the end of the week!

Foods umm passable and if you are staying in the Samakov dont bother with meals.. ask if you can have them taken off your package price! We ate in the hotel a grand total of once and most mornings for brekfast.

We went in mid Jan and the snow was really good started getting a bit sloppy but had heavy snowfall on the tuesday night/wednesday so that kept the slopes good for the rest of the week!

The people are a tad "A**hole..ish" but on the most friendly enough.

The streets are lined with Gypsies and strip/sex shows and im not sure if its the same everywhere but people trying to get you into there resturants all the time (Just ignore them)

My overall view on bulgeria is you get what you pay for. It was enough to get me hooked on ski'ing but i doubt id go back again.

Deffo go if you want to give it a go though
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy