Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How much do skis change over the years?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Im looking at buying some skis for myself, but i am on a very limited budget of around £100.

Based on this budget iv got the choice between getting some low to mid spec skis new, or dropping back to 2004 and getting some (good condition) more upmarket skis.

What would people advise? Im an intermediate skier whos like a good red run, and can handle blacks without too much of an effort. I mainly stay on piste. Im about 6ft and 82kg.

Do Skis change much over the years? In terms of the skis im looking at it is more or less, these:
http://www.ski-webshop.co.uk/home/product_info.php?products_id=734

vs

http://www.newgear.net/skitest_skis_show.asp?LA=EU&SP=SKI&YR=2003&TY=M&ID=K2SAS1084

with a difference off £50-£70.

cheers all Smile

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 20-03-09 13:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Andehh, I'm no expert, but I reckon you'd be much better off with the K2s. Somebody more knowledgeable will be along soon.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Andehh, Hi. I am in the same boat, only I'll be after much shorter skis due to being vertically challenged.

I have been given lots of good advice by the expert snowheads Smile

Eg remember that second hand will probably need servicing so cost that in, make sure the bindings can be altered to fit your boots (apparently this is not allways possible, depends on the bindings). Ex- hire skis might have a short life span because of constantly being skimmed, or something, to remove scratches underneath.

I have also found the same skis second hand for £90 + postage £15 =105 then found the identical skis complete with bindings brand new delivered for £125. So although I have not bought any yet this has opened my eyes Shocked

Then I must add that I am definately not an expert and have had to curb my enthusiasm and desire to shop NOW and wait a bit cos the prices might come down before I go in mid march. Good luck with your homework and hunting.

snowHead snowHead snowHeads can anyone tell me if the volkl 320 energy 2005 is more a beginner ski or intermediate? Is the technology much different to todays skis?

thanks
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Andehh, never heard of "Orion".

If you are going low-end/cheap - might you even be better hiring? Or second hand off snowHeads?

I think there is not always huge change from year to year - and sometimes all that changes is the topsheet/graphics. 2004 might be a bit of a stretch, but as I have just ordered my wife some pretty good 07/08 skis for about £175 with bindings and delivery - so there are bargains

I think you need to decide what kind of ski you need first then look for deals. There do seem to be some great deals on freestyle/off-piste type skis.

I haven't seen anything that looks like a bargain on UK ebay.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stoatsbrother,
Quote:

never heard of "Orion".

I was talking to a ski shop owner 'Swisstimski' he has an ebay shop as well. I think he said he was an orion dealer, He said they are made at the salomon factory. Dont know if this is fact.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think orion skis ar made in Bulgaria
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Delivery isnt a problem with the K2s, the seller lives a few miles away! Yeh, Orion is a Bulgarian make but not one id heard of before this week. As for hiring im going with my university and the cost its £85 to hire skis, boots & poles, but seeing as iv got my owns boots & can get hold of poles it doesnt make much sense to, especially as i go skiing yearly now. Also i spoke to the trip organisers and they dont think ill get the hire costs any cheaper then what with the trip.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Andehh, to be honest I'd just hire for this year and stick a bit more aside for next year and buy some with an increased budget. Never heard of Orion, if you're adament you will buy this year go for the K2's. Check out www.snowandrock.com. They have ski selector on there which is pretty good to determine what sort of ski's to look at although they are a bit of a rip of so buy elsewhere Twisted Evil

In short if I were you I would rather hire a pair of good ski's.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
And buy in the summer for half price.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Andehh, Check out the Buy and Sell board on Snowheads - all sorts of skis come up for sale second-hand at a huge range of prices - I'm sure many people put out a good deals ont he internet, but the nice thing about Snowheads is that many of the regulars are known personally, and I think because of this you are likey to get a reliable description of the item for sale
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Andehh, the K2 Axis XT was an -excellent- ski for its day but it was designed using concepts from before the millenium. The Orion is a new ski but built off a dated design.

Neither ski is something that would make a skier of your size really happy on the terrain you say you like; you could ski them but they would be rather limiting in technique, and any instructor, L1 or higher, could tell that you were on an older design ski.

Edit: How, you ask? Modern-design skis start turns with lower edge angles and less pressure on the front half of them, you would have to either visibly move forward to get the same pressure (your head would yo-yo), start your turn shallower, or physically steer the ski with your leg more than on modern gear.

If those are all your options, better save your money. If you are shopping on ebay, you might look for
Volkl 5* or Supersport, that could make for happy fun time,
also older Elan 662, 666,
also Dynastar Intuitive or Omecarve or their GS consumer ski, particularly the womens' GS one
also Atomic Metron 10 (X) or 11 (XI) or SX10 and higher
also Head iM series (Monster)

but it will be a matter of luck finding a decent pair of these within your budget, because, frankly, everyone else wants the same thing too.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 18-01-09 17:15; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think the K2 ski under discussion here IS for sale on Snowheads. wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy