Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First Time Driving To The Alps - My Thoughts..........

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Always gone with TO's but this year having bought a place, self catering was the only option but also we had to decide to drive or fly............Driving was our preferred option. Here’s my thoughts/ramblings on first drive to the Alps. Written this as it might help someone else thinking of doing the trip.

Firstly the cost. Discussed it on this thread. This was the worst case scenario and we did save money but it still costs to drive and costs more than most think if you add up all the costs.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=38244#899086

Route, discussed here

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=45549#1090683

Did the straight route down and came back using the A39 and avoided Lyon. Think we prefer the A39.

Lets not forget apart from 2 adults there will be a 6, 8 and 10 year old in the back. We decided on way out to do it in 2 days, stopping in Reims on the way down. Left home at 8.30am on the Friday. 4 hours for us to get to the tunnel. Filled up in Tesco’s Junction 10 M20. Got on a slightly earlier train so we arrived in Reims about 6pm French time. Took about 2 ½ hours to Reims.

We had a light overnight bag ready with some fresh clothes for the next day. Lesson learnt No 1. The hotel we stayed in had a secure, enclosed car park. A major +++. No need to unload the car.

Left Reims the next morning about 8.30am. Motorway quiet until about 100 miles south of Reims where traffic heading down from Belgium and Holland seems to join the route. Made it a little busier but no queues. Wasn’t really expecting queues as we were heading to the area for first week of January, historically the quietest week of the year. It was leaving day for the New Year week so traffic on other side was very heavy. 10 mile tailback in Dijon on other side. Toofy Grin

Here’s lesson 2 we learnt. Needed to fill up with diesel as we got towards Dijon. Decided to go off the motorway as there had to be cheaper fuel options close to the motorway? 45 minutes later we found something. rolling eyes Lesson learnt………..it may be slightly more expensive (about 10c a litre) but for time saving fill up on the motorway .French service stations are great in that they do sell loose baguettes. Its an idea to have some ham etc in your cool box (assuming you have one) as this make a cheaper alternative for lunch with kids.

Arrived Les Arcs about 5pm. Perfect timing.

Lesson 3. Don’t expect if you leave your car in -10 for the week and don’t put in a really good washer fluid that they won’t be frozen solid for most of the journey home. We were lucky on the way back that the road weren’t to wet as the washer bottles had frozen completely. France was exceptionally cold last week but still make sure to use good freeze proof washer fluid.

The last decision was whether to do the journey home in one hit. To safeguard I had booked 2 rooms in the Holiday Inn in Calais for the Saturday night on the way back. These could be cancelled up until 4pm on the day of arrival. We left Les Arcs 7.30am on the Saturday. We got to Dijon about noon. We swapped driving every 2 hours and the roads were empty. We knew that we would hit Calais about 5.30pm and had a 7pm tunnel booked. We decided to cancel hotels and keep going.

Long story, long drive but we got home midnight French time. 16 ½ hour drive home. Accidents, delays etc..aside we would be 99% certain of attempting the drive home in one hit again.

Last point. Would we drive it again? Yes. We are doing a week on our own in March and will fly but with 3 kids and the ability to fill the car with food, all well, we will drive again next January. Plan next year would be to drive down in 2 days but a bit further on day one and get to resort early on the Saturday and a get an extra days skiing in.

My ramblings end………

Total miles driven 1752 (includes one trip down from Arc 2000 to Bourg for supermarket trip)

Average mpg over trip 28.9. way down worse than way back as we ditched the ski carriers off roof and left ski at apartment for way back but this is average over trip.

Roads were empty but on motorway stuck to 80mph on cruise, no need to worry about coppers then.

Telepeage. Get one (sorry don't Toofy Grin ), they are great and save time and hassle.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
thefatcontroller, how long do you plan to spend at your place each year? We always drive nowadays, because hiring car for long stays is ruinously expensive. Some useful points above. Write another account when you've done it in fog/freezing rain/heavy snow! Twisted Evil
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thefatcontroller, let me be the first. Toofy Grin Did you have winter tyres & snow chains?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:
thefatcontroller, how long do you plan to spend at your place each year? We always drive nowadays, because hiring car for long stays is ruinously expensive. Some useful points above. Write another account when you've done it in fog/freezing rain/heavy snow! Twisted Evil

Only likely at the moment we will use it 2 weeks a year. Job and 3 young kids prevent much more. Bought now as I hope in time to be able to do more but if I didn't buy now then longer stays would have been just a dream.

Fair point re driving in snow etc....we had lovely weather for driving. Thats why I would always preface the 1 hit journey home with the weather, conditons caveat.

In truth driving was a lot easier and better than I thought. Cool
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ssnowman wrote:
thefatcontroller, let me be the first. Toofy Grin Did you have winter tyres & snow chains?

Land Rover Discovery, did not invest in Winter tyres as for one journey, potentially 2 a year, I did not see them worth while. Later if I was to spend a few weeks at a time in the Alps I would invest in them as we are very high up in Arc 2000. Snow chains were always in the boot. We also had a fair idea before we left as to what the conditions were going to be like and were confident Confused Skullie that the snow chains might not be required. The road up to Arc 2000 is a 27km drive up from Bourg Saint Maurice. Once you get above 1600m there is a fair bit of snow so there is a setting on the Discovery for driving on gravel/snow (all it does its tighted up control to stop the driver causing wheel spin when hitting accelerator) and I did turn this on from 1600 up. Not sure it was 100% needed but why not.

I did make sure though at all times when driving to wear my helmet Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
thefatcontroller wrote:
Lesson 3. Don’t expect if you leave your car in -10 for the week and don’t put in a really good washer fluid that they won’t be frozen solid for most of the journey home. We were lucky on the way back that the road weren’t to wet as the washer bottles had frozen completely. France was exceptionally cold last week but still make sure to use good freeze proof washer fluid.

Pretty much all the service stations after lyon sell windscreen washer 'lave glace' that's good down to -20 or -25. On my journey down I timed it so that I ran out of screen wash just after lyon and then stocked up with the french stuff just after lyon. So far not frozen at all...despite some -15 or similar nights..
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy