Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot sizing - Advice needed.

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I currently have a pair of XWAVE 8 boots which I am on my third ski trip with. Although the boots are great, I feel that they were fitted wrong by snow and rock as when I have the on unbuckled, I can slide my fingers behind my heal. When fully buckled my toes feel like they have room. They are sized at 28.5, snow and rock told me the .5 is the width of the boot. Having checked the mondo chart it makes clear that the .5 is .5cm! My foot size (shoe size) is a uk 9. The Mondo size for this is 27.5.

Right, can someone tell me (who is a UK 9) what mondo size boot they have as I don't know if the size is for the boot liner or shell. I am thinking that I need at least a half size smaller.

I hope this sort of makes sense!

Lossy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mrlossyman, the .5 is the exact same shell with a slightly different liner... so the 25.5 will have slightly more padding in the liner than the 25.0 but when it is padded out will be exactly the same size.

Personally I have Salomon boots also and my UK 9 foot is in a 26.5 boot (same shell size as the 26?). The stated length on the ski boot is 305mm.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I wear size 9 shoes and have a 28.0 boot. My son has size 8 feet and 26.5 boots (though his boots are probably slightly big). Your toes should have room (though not too much).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
arv,

The 305mm is the length of the sole plate not the "foot space".

The UK sizing is fairly meaningless because shoe sizes vary so much from make to make. I am a UK size 7-7.5; Continental 41-42. My mondo size is definitely 26.0 I have the same size shell as you have a 26.5. My boots are not too big.

I expect CEM will be along soon to explain.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mrlossyman, if the boots are great why worry whether they are a 28, 28.5, 29 or 29.5?

They're great regardless of the number stamped onto the shell or liner!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
welshflyer, I know:

Quote:
The stated length on the ski boot is 305mm
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mrlossyman, who cares about the number stamped onto the shell? Did you do a shell fit?

EDIT: Yes, your boots are too big. By about 2 sizes I think.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 16-01-09 16:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
arv,

Sorry, talking at crossed purposes. I'd better go skiing because I'm confusing myself.

And the my shells actually state 26/26.5 with a 26.0 liner as you were trying to explain one size shell accommodates 2 sizes of ski boot liner.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
arv, pay no mind, I have here on my shelf three pairs of boots, one 304 mm, one 306mm and the third 312mm, they are all stenciled '26.5' yet the 312 mm one seems to have the most room?

Me? 25 shell, 43 Eu shoe.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 16-01-09 16:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
welshflyer, more skiing, less boot talk seems like a solution.. I will go with that.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
comprex,

I don't think mrlossyman, will understand the term "Shell Fit".

mrlossyman,

Did the boot fitter use a proper measuring gauge marked in "Mondo Sizes"?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
welshflyer, edited now. Embarassed
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
comprex,

I should have asked is the "Shell Fit" when you guys check the fit without the liner?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes they are too big.

You have to buy new, or give them to my wife to wash for you - she shrinks anything.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
welshflyer, yes.
snow report
arv,

I'm trying to remember what I've forgotten to pack but at least I've just remembered I need to book my taxi!
snow report
foot in empty shell, toes brushing the front you need between 10 and 20mm behind the heel, any more than 25mm and it is way too big

shell sizes 26 and 26.5 for example are the same the liners may or may not have some additional padding to make the 26 feel snugger, but that said it will pack down to the same

ignor the convertion charts they do not really match any foot, the boot shape is equally important as if it is the correct shape 10-15mm should be great if the wrong shape 25mm may feel too tight
ski holidays
CEM, Too right... I'd have never believed that a size 7 boot would fit my (usual 9 or 9.5 UK) feet and be more comfy than my older and larger boot. I have become a convert of 'proper' boot fitting.
snow report
Scarpa,

I agree 'proper' boot fitting is essential.

We are lucky having some boot fitting experts on this forum and I would like to thank them for their time and expertise.
ski holidays
welshflyer, I worship them as gods.
ski holidays
Scarpa, My boots are the same, in trainers etc I take a size 10, my boots are size 27 mondo (8.5??) and fit way better than when I used to hire boots and just take size 10 because thats what I used in shoes!
snow report
Scarpa, And so you should, now off to church and put in your turns. Twisted Evil
latest report
Scarpa wrote:
welshflyer, I worship them as gods.

they is the massiahs!!
snow report
Thanks for the replies. I've just taken the liner out and put my foot in the shell. With my toes against the front of the boot I have there is about 30mm space behind the heal! This appears to make them way too big. I think the extra padding in the liner (as one post said) may have appeared to have made them feel good in the store but now they arepacked out they are wrong. The reason why I was asking the question is that although the boots feel good (comfy) I don't feel the front of my foot gives enough fore pressure to the ski and I am constantly adjusting buckles throughout the day. I don't feel this is helping my skiing....... Sad
snow conditions
marcellus, When do we get to crucify them? Have they claimed to be sons of COD?
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I'd get very worried if large crosses are errected Twisted Evil
snow report
I've recently bought shifted down a "size" with my new Tecnica Dragon boots to achieve a closer fit. 27.5 (my usual size) and 27.0 had the same boot length (315mm), but the 27.0 achieved the closer fit I wanted. I believe due to a thicker lining, or possibly smaller shell interior... not sure but it worked. Smile
ski holidays
i have no clue on boot sizing and am going skiing in march, i am a UK womens 4, and am unsure what size to get. a friend has offered to lend me his brand new unworn boots and he says they are a size 5 but he is male, and i wondered if the sizes are unisex? he assured me that these boots should fit me as i will have plenty of thick socks on. does anyone have any advice? and should i borrow these boots? what should i look out for when trying them on? many thanks wink
ski holidays
rcalder, One pair of decent ski socks only, more than 1 and you'll get blisters.
Women's boots tend to have a different cuff as women's calf muscles are closer to their heel than men's.
If you're a size 4, almost certainly they'll be too big for you. You'll lack control and will probably get blisters due to your foot moving in them.
As a guide for fit remove the liner and stand in the shell, brush your big toe against the front of the boot, look behind the heel, you're looking for a gap of 10 - 20mm, more than 25mm and they're way too big, less than 10mm and they're going to be mighty snug.
Best advice is go and see a boot fitter.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thanks for the advice, i will try them on and see! that is true that a womans calf is lower down, plus my legs are only short (im only 5ft1!) so i may have a look around at buying a pair. thanks again Smile
latest report
rcalder, Your friend has less of a clue than you on boot sizing.
snow conditions
rcalder, First time skiing? then imo don't go and buy any boots..... hire them in resort................... as you've possibly read different manufacturers make different shapes and you won't be able to tell by standing in a shop in the UK which work for you on the Piste........... also you don't know if you're going to like skiing and they could be a waste of your cash!!
ski holidays
uktrailmonster, ever notice how eager ill-fitting boot owners are to pawn them off on friends?
snow report
makes you wonder a man with size 5 feet?
snow conditions
marcellus, could just be a bit of a freak?
snow report
I have X-wave 8 boots in the same size and i wear size 8.5 shoes. I can move my toes too and i've done 6 weeks skiing in mine and i'm starting to thing they're a bit big. I'll tell you after the 16th Feb!
ski holidays
mrlossyman wrote:
Hi,

I currently have a pair of XWAVE 8 boots which I am on my third ski trip with. Although the boots are great, I feel that they were fitted wrong by snow and rock as when I have the on unbuckled, I can slide my fingers behind my heal. When fully buckled my toes feel like they have room. They are sized at 28.5, snow and rock told me the .5 is the width of the boot. Having checked the mondo chart it makes clear that the .5 is .5cm! My foot size (shoe size) is a uk 9. The Mondo size for this is 27.5.

Right, can someone tell me (who is a UK 9) what mondo size boot they have as I don't know if the size is for the boot liner or shell. I am thinking that I need at least a half size smaller.

I hope this sort of makes sense!

Lossy

I have size 9 UK feet. I ski in a Mondo 26.0. They're a very snug performance fit, which is what I wanted, but I can still wiggle my toes - Just.
latest report
I also have X-wave 8s, but a half size smaller - mondo 28. However, I wear size 10 shoes!
ski holidays
has nobody got it yet 28.0 and 28.5 are the same [in 99.9% of boots]......ain't marketing great Laughing
latest report
CEM, Yeah, but mine are a half size smaller. (Using the 'Spinal Tap, my amp goes up to eleven voice)

http://fr.youtube.com/v/d54UU-fPIsY
ski holidays
ah yes but CEM, my superb boot fitter (better than your awesome boot fitter, who is better than his better than awesome boot fitter) says that I need the 0.1% difference! Shocked rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy