Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmet-can it be mended, or do I need a new one?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have a very lovely Red helmet, which I bought at the start of last season. It has endured a fair amount, and now both ear pieces have detatched (if I shove them back in really hard, they stay put for about an hour, until they fall out again), and the goggle strap has snapped off.

Is there a chance I could get another goggle strap put on, and maybe the ear pieces glued back in, or is it dead?

Anyone any ideas who/where it could be mended? Or must I shell out for a new lid? Its not taken any major knocks, other than the odd hit around the head by a button as I load kids on (I work for skischool), and a few apres ski drops.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
swisssnowbunny, I have looked at lots of helmets this year and have been amazed at how easily the ear pieces on many of them detach. My kid pulled one of theirs out just putting it on. When I first shoved it back in it seemed OK, but only stayed put for one use. When I tried again it was almost as though it located into something under the helmet lining and seems much more secure. I don't know how much you have fiddled with it, but, on the basis of my experience, it might be worth trying several slightly different angled 'shoves' to see if it will locate any more securely than it is.

Why don't helmet manufacturers do something about this - on many helmets it seems to be a weak point and I have decided not to purchase helmets which don't have decently fixed ear pieces in the future.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
the earpieces are neither here nor there, safety wise, and neither is the goggle strap. Maybe you could make a new goggle strap thingy with some gaffer tape and inspiration. I have swapped earpieces with my OH, who has a different make of helmet (Red/Giro) because he found mine more comfortable. I've wedged them in, and they generally stay put - you have to learn not to use the earpieces as handles to put the helmet on and off. In one case I've added a few stitches - to keep them in place vis a vis the straps - as I never use the helmet without them unless it's boiling hot. A few bits of gaffer tape here and there will just give you that authentic gnarly look!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
What I probably wouldn't do is rivet the goggle strap back on in a different place; that might weaken the helmet too much.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum wrote:
swisssnowbunny, I have looked at lots of helmets this year and have been amazed at how easily the ear pieces on many of them detach. My kid pulled one of theirs out just putting it on. When I first shoved it back in it seemed OK, but only stayed put for one use. When I tried again it was almost as though it located into something under the helmet lining and seems much more secure. I don't know how much you have fiddled with it, but, on the basis of my experience, it might be worth trying several slightly different angled 'shoves' to see if it will locate any more securely than it is.

Why don't helmet manufacturers do something about this - on many helmets it seems to be a weak point and I have decided not to purchase helmets which don't have decently fixed ear pieces in the future.

Thats because the ear pieces are designed to be detachable, and they are supposed to be located under the headlining.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have tried a variety of shoves, but to no avail. At best, they stay in until I next take the helmet off, but a couple of times they have come adrift half way down a piste, which, when I'm teaching children isn't great (lets all stop whilst the grown up deals with her own ineptitudes). I wonder if superglue might hold the earpieces in? Anyone any experience there?

As to the gaffer tape, I have lasted the whole of the Christmas rush with a variety of tape holding my goggles on, but after loosing my goggles out of a gondola door as a result of the tape giving way, I am now weary. The goggles, incidentally, have to be replaced as they were not there when I went back up to find them. Sob. There is a hole/slot where the original goggles clip went in, so in theory I could slot a new clip in, but I'm not too sure where I would obtain one. Can you get spare parts for helmets?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Never try and fix it - buy a new one. The contents are too important !
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Its hard to say without seeing it, providing the helmet itself is ok then fine. Ear pieces as said by others should just clip back in place, I would assume when removed once the first time something broke off?? Glue would probably work but i'd use a thicker one like epoxy resin type rather than super glue. Goggle strap you'd have to contact a manufacturer? Or try a ski shop, they could possibly have ex rentals that are a bit knackered or a new one thats damaged?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If the shell has not had any really hard hits and is intact, Gaffer and supaglue should fix it. Toofy Grin

How is the strap connected to the shell?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Smokin Joe wrote:
Never try and fix it - buy a new one. The contents are too important !

That might be debatable in this thread wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy