Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

really dumb bindings questions......

Poster: A snowHead
i bought a board last year and slapped on my bindings. +15,-3. set them so my boots looked central on the board toe ramp on edge of top sheet, and highbacks about parallel with edge (although not parallel with each other.)

i felt last year some 'discomfort' (not pain) in my back knee at the end of most days, so to my dumb questions:

if i put my board on the floor and 'mindsurf'/pose, squat, lean, turn etc, with bare feet in the bindings my front foot sits fine, by my rear always seems to end up at an angle. having adjusted the rear to -9 my foot sits true to the base plate. is mind surfing the same as real snowboarding? (ie is it likely i've hit the right set up?)

highbacks - should they be parallel with each other and the centreline of the board, or slightly toed in?

stance width - same as angles - has my 'mindsurf' set up got things about right?

if i move the bindings back one hole (on the board) to use in all the powder were going to have (ever the optimist) how will that affect the on piste/general performance/feel?

thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rogg, when you get try all the things you have mentioned and more and see what suits, it worked for me
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rayscoops, that's what i figured. just thought i'd try and get closer before i started again.

do you know how moving back a set of holes (or maybe just the back foot back one position) will have. i imagine it will be better offpiste, but maybe a little more 'flappy' and not quote as easy on piste. or it may be no different at all. Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rogg, I generally have my bindings set -15/+15 for riding switch (which I can't do that well) and they're set much wider than my shoudlers for really qucik turns etc. However, went to Val D'Isere in december and foudn that I just wasn't comfortable.

First thing I tried was standing ont he board in the apartment trying to work out stance width – I ended up narrowing it by one hole either side so I was on the 'main' holes (the centre ones). That felt miles better.

Then I altered the angle to -5/+17 and it's toally changed my riding. I still can't ride switch that well (but who cares anyway) but it means I feel much more comfirtable at speed and my turns have just improved no end.

That sorted, halfway through the week I just had a fiddle with the binding position to move them around on the screw plates. Just putting them a little back so there was slightly more tip (I have a directional rwin anyway) helped loads on powder and in the end, i was really snurfing; just letting it hang casuaal and I felt amazing, just rising the powder rather than feeling like i had to concentarte on it all the time. I'm even riding like that on-piste now - real lazy style - and it means I'm puttting half as much effort in to get twice as much enjoyment.

It's only when you have loads more tip than tail do you tend to find turning harder and that's when the tip starts to loose contact I feel. Providing you keep your bindings centred then just have a little play and you shoudl find a good mix between pow and piste.

As far as highback rotation goes, it's something Stab was recommending. I'm moving over from FLOWs to my Ride Beta MVTs this year, which are dead easy to alter the highbacks on. And from what I've read, having your highback parallel to the board is supposed to make it much more comfortable, especially if you have a wide(ish) stance.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rogg, when there is loads of powder i sometimes move both bindings back by one notch and keep the width of my stance the same, but I only really did this when it was literally dumping down and the only riding was to be had on one piste and it was knee deep, normally if i feel I am sinking a bit I will just have an exagerated lean on to my back foot rather than bothering to change the settings, and yes I find the front will flap around a bit because you are not getting as much pressure through the front of the board, so when riding some flat narrow piste you might have more of a chance of catching an edge rather than driving the front of the board through the crud/traclks/divots etc.

I would perhaps concentrate on your foot angles to feel a bit more comfortable pehaps, and not bother about moving your bindings around unless you are in powder heaven Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I know I am gonna look right stoopid but hey what's new..And better look stupid than die an ignorant...
The whole highback "rotation" confuses me.
I assume we're not talking forward lean here...So I also assume we're talking about rotating the highback around an axis that would roughly be perpendicular (coming out of) to the board..
First none of my bindings allow that (but maybe it's new/top-end thing)
Secondly, I find amazing to think that having the highback parallel to the board's edge when the binding is set at +/-15° plus is "comfortable"...

So I'm well confused...

You're allowed to point and laugh but don't throw stones please! Toofy Grin Embarassed
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not forward lean. It's where the high back isn't on a 90º angle to the side of the binding but it actually in-line with the side of the board regardless of the angle at which the binding is set on the board.

This should explain more: http://community.burton.com/forums/2/37743/ShowThread.aspx

I think the whole reason for highback rotation is that there are no edges to dig into the back of your boot, therefore offsetting your stance and putting too much pressure on one part of the highback. I think there's a large majority of bindings that have adjustable highbacks - it's usually a case of undoing the bolts that hold the rear heel cup and the highback hinge in place.

I'm going to have a play with it this year to see just what difference it makes. I know I've read that park riders like to do it but I've never seen any definitive pros Vs cons.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kruisler, most boarders would have no idea either, and you guess was as good as mine Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rayscoops,
Well we guessed right judging by Specialman's link and the set-up sheet for SP standard strap bindings.

However I now have that Fastec system, which is Cinch like, I am not sure that a highback not symmetrically aligned to the binding would do the system/cable any good. I have emailed them to ask.

Can anyone enlighten me to what are the benefits of the highbacks being parallel to the board?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kruisler, better heel side edge bite, I had a brief exchange with Stab on the recent/current 'abuse Flow bindings' thread because Flows do not have this facility, not to sure which 'abuse Flow bindings' thread as all threads seem seem to head that way Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rayscoops,
Ha! It did seem to ring a bell... Thanks...

Your Flows can't do it and probably for the same reason I think my SPs can't.
The email address for SP is not working so we'll never know...
At my current level, I doubt I would reall feel the difference anyway..
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pain in your back knee is probably your stance, I bet your back shoulder is coming forward, this throws the hips out and the knee is fighting it.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stab, when you say stance i take it you mean the way i stand as opposed to width between feet.

when you say back shoulder coming out are you describing sort of a bit of counter rotation of the upper body?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rogg, yes. The way you stand not width. Probably the top of the body is twisting to open up a bit more going forwards, this does some crap to the hips which in turn is going to stress the knee imo.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ta stab, was watching a mate last year and he seems more parallel with his board than i feel. maybe looking a bit more over the shoulder?
snow conditions
rogg, exactly.
ski holidays
Hi Rogg,
I had a similar symptom to you after a change of binding angles.

This happened after an instructor suggested moving the back binding from 0 to a small negative angle (-3 or -5 or similar). This was good advice and actually did improve my ride a bit (espec switch where I was stunned at the improvement) but I found that I was getting stiff knee and some pain the days after riding (on different weekends).

I reckoned afterwards that I was over-rotating the knee when changing body angle. Probably I was going for the same body position as before the binding adjustment, but now since I was starting from a more negative angle, the total rotation on my knee was greater. Once I paid a little attention to this, and smoothed out the technique a bit, the problem went away.

This is basically in line with what stab is saying above, although it doesn't have to be counter-rotation. I was over-rotating, but not counter-rotating, in the way turns are typically taught in switzerland.
http://web.archive.org/web/20071207082857/club-ski.web.cern.ch/club-ski/snowboard/tutor/virbas.html

Anyway, based on my experience I'd recommend looking carefully at what you're doing when you ride, and in particular at what sorts of body rotation you're doing. Then try mixing it up a bit (best day of instruction I ever had was along those lines, trying on technique with weight forward, doing same with weight back, trying deeper and deeper stances, trying taller and taller, minimising body rotation, maximising body rotation, etc., I found it all gave a better feel for the "envelope" of what was possible and where the zone of comfort/control was).

Just my 2c, of course all only IMHO Smile

cheers,
m
ski holidays
try 2 days boarding holding your trouser pockets, fixed my stance problem.
snow report
get your weight forward (front foot weight / pressure) and keep the palm of your rear hand facing backwards/heel side (rather than facing forward/toe side) and hey presto no rotation
ski holidays
if your unsure what you want your angles set to jump on a baby slope for 1/2 a day
i done this in wengen with my new bindings the other year
at one point i even had the back of the board lifting on turns!
my bindings havent changed for ages now
also adjusting the highbacks can make it easier/give you more confidence on the flat sections
snow conditions
rayscoops wrote:
get your weight forward (front foot weight / pressure) and keep the palm of your rear hand facing backwards/heel side (rather than facing forward/toe side) and hey presto no rotation

like this wink
snow conditions
stab, yip, worked for me Very Happy i just need to go gangstaaa now Laughing
snow conditions
rayscoops, its my disguise so I can hang around in the park with all the groms.
snow report
stab, looks like your trying to be the swiss shawn white
good photo tho
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy