Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off-centre stance advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys, my board has a set back stance which is great for the mountain but I've been going to a local dry slope park when I cant make it out and I'm struggling with my turns (I'm pretty much a beginner). Can I move my bindings forward a notch (so that they are central to the board but not to the boards centred stance - if that makes sense???) or will I end up falling forward? or should I just suck it up and practice?
Also, I want to start learning tricks as well and this would probably be easier if I was centred on the board would it? OR will I need to get a new board for the park?
So many questions!! Any help much appreciated!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHead, swordfish
Most (all?) board which are touted as being specifically aimed at park riding will be central to help with balance and riding switch. A good proportion will be true twins (i.e. same shape etc. front as back, unlike your all-mountain board).

I'm going to duck out at this point as I'm definitely not a park-style rider so will wait for someone more knowledgable than me to answer your question more throughly.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
swordfish, what board you got?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
swordfish, do you mean "forward" as in the direction you are travelling? or forward as in the direction your shoulders are facing?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Its a Burton Troop board - one of those that are meant to be ok for both Freeride and Freestyle. supposedly.
I was meaning move the bindings forward a notch towards the tip of the board (as in the direction I'm travelling).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
swordfish, are you a girl?
put the bindings on the set of holes that have the triangle marked between them. If you want more width in your stance(for more freestyle) then spin your plates 180 degrees and use the next 3 holes out front and back. This will widen your stance (giving better edge pressure) but still keep you setback slightly for powder.
The set of holes that are marked is the optimal stance for the board for the weight and height range of the board.
You dont want more tail than nose on a board, this is bad and will eventually explode.
Struggling with your turns is normally not using and fore and aft lean in the turn. I could go on forever about that.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I am yes, does that make a difference wink
Yeh thanks I'm spot on with the slightly wider stance using the technique you suggest so think I'll just have to persevere with that. Maybe I was just looking for an excuse for not progressing as quickly as I'd like!
So at the risk of sounding stupid - whats fore and aft lean? As I dont know what it is is prob likely I'm not doing it! Turns are ok on snow - just heel to toe sucks on the carpet! Its a mind game now too because I think I cant do it. so I cant.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'll explain it quickly.
Think of the board as having four corners/edges. Front toe/heel rear toe/heel.
When on the heel edge side slipping slightly twist the board along the length of it with the front leg so the front heel edge is not holding as well in the snow but the rear foot edge is still gripping, bring your weight forwards (FORE) (hahaha that was easy to explain Laughing)
When you do this the board will start to straighten up down the hill (it has to as the rear edge is still gripping)
When the board is going straight and is flat down the hill bring more pressure on the front toe edge and move your weight back to the centre, as the board gets sideways across the piste you should be back on equal pressure front and rear toes.
As you get better at turns and take it to carving the AFT part is leaning back at the end of the turn to get the edge engaged just that little bit longer.

That is by far the hardest to understand thing I ever wrote Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I get you I think. I'm heading out tomorrow so I'll have a play around anyway, see what happens!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy