Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Norway resorts - any info

Poster: A snowHead
I am looking at a trip to Norway in March

Anyone got any resort info or tips
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm going sunday week for two weeks to Hemsedal, will report back then. Smile
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dek, It's a big place, with a lot of resorts. What do you want in the way of ski-ing and apres? How far do you want to travel?

PS - try this link: http://www.skiinfo.com/Country/Norway-ENO-9671-en.jhtml
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We know people who go most years. They use Norweigan Wood - who have even opened their own bar to counter the "isn't it expensive?" comment.

http://www.nwtltd.co.uk/index2.html
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RobW, We went with Norweigen Wood 5 years ago to Hafjell and were well looked after
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Alexandra, I have been looking at Hemsedal & Geilo will be intersted to see your feedback.

I am looking at mid range skiing so my wife can enjoy the whole mountain and is not stuck on easy runs at the bottom of the mountain, alongwith a sprinkling of harder runs when I have the odd day away.

Discounted Lillehammer, looks to big for what I want.

Will check out Norwegian Wood, thanks for the tip.

Travel distance doesnt matter.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We did Geilo a few years back. It was really nice. People really friendly, everyone has great English. Cant remember the name of the hotel (Dr something) which was beautiful, food fantastic and piano played as you dine in style. It was pricey (the hotel) but worth it. Would have to say though that I much prefer France just because I like to do really long runs and we didn't really get that in Geilo. On the positive side though there weren't any lift queues so you could get straight back up really quickly! Did the husky dog sledging too. Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dek, Lillehammer / Hafjell is not that big. Cover most runs after 2 days as hill not that high
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
HH wrote:
We did Geilo a few years back. It was really nice. People really friendly, everyone has great English. Cant remember the name of the hotel (Dr something) which was beautiful, food fantastic and piano played as you dine in style. It was pricey (the hotel) but worth it.

That would be Dr Holms Hotel - not that I've stayed there, but have called in to the lounge area to see how the other half lives! Toofy Grin

I did a ski-trip to Geilo a few years back with Crystal, staying at the Highland Hotel, which was good. Incidentally I visited Geilo for 2 days this Summer as part of a motoring tour through Norway, and the Highland Hotel was temporarily closed as they were doing refurbishments. The Geilo Tourist Office website says that theses refurbishments have been completed and the hotel is open again. For this year's summer visit I stayed at the Norlandia Geilo Hotel (one of the original hotels in Geilo), and I thought it good value for money.

Geilo itself is in a valley, with the alpine skiing on the two slopes of the valley. These are interconnected by a frequent free skibus connection. The skiing is best suited to beginners and intermediates in my view. There is also plenty of cross-country skiing on the plateau above Geilo, and its interesting to see that one drag lift which goes up to the plateau is used by both alpine and cross country skiers. Of course being Norway you also see quite a few telemarkers -you could always give that a try! Madeye-Smiley

Whilst you're there you can try other activities such as dog sledding.

When I went on the Crystal trip to Geilo they flew into the local Dagali airport (which must be one of the shortest runways and most interesting approaches, banking over a frozen lake on approach Shocked , used by a tour operator. Unfortunately I believe Dagali is now closed to commercial aircraft, so most operators now fly into Oslo.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've been to Geilo too, stayed at the Ustedalen Hotel which was a nice place. It was my first week skiing with my daughter and it was ideal for that with good instruction. There are only 32km of pistes though.

I went with Crystal too but flew into Fagernes but the plane back was diverted (after circling over Fagernes) to Oslo. Food and drink were dear which made bars etc very quiet. May not be so bad now though as Euroland may well have caught up in price.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Have been to Geilo, stayed at the Dr Holmes Hotel which was really nice, good food and facilities. Geilo itself is very small with very little in the way of bars or restaurants so dont expect too much apre ski. The slopes are also very short, no long gentle blues, on the plus side there are not many people on the slopes so no waiting at the lifts.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the feedback
Still not made a chioce but working on it
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dek, Spent 4 days in Hemsedal last Feb, 2 night self-catering, 2 nights in hotel half board. My niece was out there for 4 months race training on the harder stuff. I managed a red run for the first time ever while there. Skiing top of Totton to bottom of the runs - about 6km I think - was within my abilities on greens/blues the whole way. Let me know if you have any specific questions? Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Late starter,
Thanks
I want to take my wife to get her confidence up running easy wide reds, or to be able to tour around and see the mountain on accessable blue / reds runs.
She is a nervous skier but wants to improve. Much as I would love to go blasting in a massive resort, this is more for my wife and not for me.
Does Hemsedal cover this.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Go for Hemsedal and you will not regret it. Been there with the whole family many times. My wife was a totally unexperienced skier the first time, but managed to get around everywhere. And Hemsedal has some good steep pistes for experienced skiers. Good place for the whole family. Very Happy
snow conditions
Dek, http://www.skistar.com/app/projects/hemsedal/images/imlib/Hemsedal_Loypekart_0708.pdf is the piste map if you haven't found it. I would regard myself as a nervous skier - and so would those who know me I think. rolling eyes So it took a lot to venture on to even part of red 10 with an instructor. But it was not overly busy - in fact in early Feb when we were there the blue runs were generally quieter than the green main run. But up at the top one morning there was hardly anyone around and superb views and fresh snow. So I think she would enjoy it. As visam, has put much more concisely Very Happy Oh and we did the bus transfer from Oslo but think we would have taken the train at least one way had we realised how easy the transfer from the airport to Oslo main station was. And then got a bus from the nearset station - Gol I think. 3 1/2 hours in a minibus even with a break was hard work!
latest report
Hi

We have been to Norway for the last five years and love the place. We stay in Trysil and for the last four years we have made our own travel arrangements via the trysil website (http://www.skistar.com/trysil/english). Try staying in the TRYSILFJELL HYTTEOMRÅDE. These are lovely cabins in the woods that are ski-in ski out (although you may have to ski along a track to get to them). Very peaceful and great for a family holiday. If you want a hotel a new Radisson SAS has opened this year. The skiing is easier than in France in my view and there are lots of blue and red runs that would suit your needs. The blacks in Høgegga are reasonably straightforward and are on tree-lined pistes. The instruction at the ski schools has been very good and most of the instructors speak excellent english. There is plenty of skiing for a week and the season tends to run well into April.
We arrange our own travel - make sure you fly into Oslo Gardermoen, not Oslo Torp (which is about 1.5 hours south). Car hire is straightforward and the drive to Trysil is easy along fairly quiet roads. There is no winding ascent either.
Be prepared for the price of alcohol - On our first trip 4 x 33cl bottles of Carlsberg cost a staggering £24.00!!
Only other thing I would say is try and avoid Easter weekend - think too much noise, alcohol, music and people! Otherwise Norway is great and we are off again this year.
Where ever you go have good trip.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy