Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Avalanche Air Bag System - BCA Float 30

Poster: A snowHead
Due for release from mid / end December 2009, Backcountry Access are bringing the competition to ABS & Snowpulse.

At pretty much half the price of the competitors, just $499 RRP, the bags are bound to be very popular. This years model will be a slightly more basic pack aimed more at snowmobilers than skiers - it has no ski carry system and is not hydration compatible (ie, no sleeve).

Some of you will know I own an ABS Vario which I love but it was twice the price of this model. The main draw back, people argue, is travel complications. I will be finding out next month when I bring mine from the UK to Canada - as the law stands you are permitted to travel with the equipment but it is recommended that you have written permission from the carrier prior to travel.

The ABS is unique in that it uses a small explosive charge AND a pressurized canister of air to inflate the bags. The Snowpulse and the BCA Float just use compressed gas. They all meet the "requirements" of "air travel laws" but as proven on a few occasions it can still be a hassle when you get some check-in moron. For the Snowpulse & BCA Float if you actually empty the gas canisters there is nothing they can do as you are just traveling with empty bottles, going forward it should be easy enough to refill those bottles when you reach your destination. I guess you could also "use" the explosive handle on the ABS too but they are more expensive to replace.

I love knowing that I have my ABS on when I'm skiing avalanche terrain. Not because I will take more risks or even reduce the amount of time I spend assessing terrain, the reason I love it... I don't *always* trust the people I ski with to do the best job possible of searching and digging me out if I did get rinsed. No offense to the people I've skied with here, I'm talking about being out with a girlfriend or something. Oh, and I don't want to get buried, full stop.

I've been lucky enough to live in the mountains for long enough that beeper practice to me is like using a car alarm on your BMW in Brixton. From time-to-time I ski with people that don't get to practice as often, awwwwww, I'm being too kind, one of my favorite people to ski with Boo (if you've met her) couldn't dig her way out of a paper bag, never mind dig me out of avalanche debris. So I like the idea that *if* I ever got caught I'm going to be on, or very near, the surface.

I will be buying one of these for the SO and will let you know how we get on with it.

More here.

(All the usual caveats, knowledge is better than gear, not an avalanche panacea etc. & I get that 'air law' is a lot more complex than I surmised).
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
parlor, thanks for the link, any idea if the rrp is what it will be sold for or will some retailers try to do it a bit cheaper?

Looks like it will offer some head protection to help avoid injury while in the avalanche.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well done on Getting one Very Happy
The release dates were sketchy. I didnt want to wait for it to come out so bought a non-airbag one for the moment. Would like one of these. Well done BCA making them affordable. Did you pick it up in a shop over there or online?
Ryanair will allow you take em as hand luggage I think they limit the number of canisters.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar,
Some websites in US have em but not in stock yet.
snowbigdeal have em. They are not taking preorders outside US.
They look to have the best postage rates
http://www.snowbigdeal.com/servlet/Page?template=Float30
RRP US$499

http://snobunje.com/store.php?crn=66&rn=346&action=show_detail
I emailed this place but got no reply. Their loss I'd have bought a beacon, shovel and probe from them too!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Any idea whether they're likely to be available in Europe?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Not including a ski carry system on an off piste pack is a big oversight.... rolling eyes !?!?

Real shame - as the price makes it way more accesible to a much bigger market.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Not including a ski carry system on an off piste pack is a big oversight.... rolling eyes !?!?

Real shame - as the price makes it way more accesible to a much bigger market.

yup agree, but as Parlor says they seem to be aiming at the snowmobile market for v1 of the bag...........
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ChrisWo, Not this year. I emailed BCA and they said next year.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RPF, cheers - I thought I'd heard that somewhere.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Any idea on the weight of this version?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No sign of them at the ski show on a stall selling ABS & snowpulse. The ski carry thing is a bit unfathomable -it must cost about 50 cents to to sew on 4 side straps for A framing though clearly it would impede depolyment while carrying.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The weight is said to be just under 3.4kg for the whole system, which is possibly a little lighter that the equivalent ABS & Snowpulse bags.

My pack is heavy but I honestly don't mind it when I'm skiing. I've done some tours in it too and found it fine.

RPF, will be getting one. Already have an ABS.

I'll update this thread when I get my mitts on one.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fatbob wrote:
The ski carry thing is a bit unfathomable -it must cost about 50 cents to to sew on 4 side straps for A framing though clearly it would impede depolyment while carrying.
My ABS bag has straps for ski carrying, they also act as compression straps for the main bag. But they are not side straps and do not allow an "a frame" carry. Hence the side panels from where the balloons expand are not obstructed, even when carrying skis.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Adrian, the ski carry system on my ABS sucks. It works but it's more like a snowboard carry. The original Float prototypes had a ski carry system, I hope after testing them this winter BCA will come up with a sturdy system that is actually beneficial to skiers when you do need them - ie stable, wide enough for real skis and kepps the tails out of the way when hiking...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for all the interest and feedback on our Float 30. We've learned the hard way not to try to bite off too much the first year you're introducing a product. That's why we're focusing on North America this season and on snowmobilers in particular. We plan to get the ski straps and hydration perfected over the winter and possibly get moving in Europe next fall. For updates on both our Float 30 airbag and our Tracker2 transceiver, feel free to check in on our blog (http://www.backcountryaccess.com/blog) and Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/backcountryaccess.com), as we will post updates regularly. We plan to have Tracker2's in the UK by January. This are distributed by Anatom, based in Edinburgh.

Hoping for a HUGE snow year!
latest report
Wow - nice to get a post from a VP of the company! thanks for the update Bruce, looking forward to Version2 next year with straps etc! Cool
snow report
bedgerly, welcome to snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy