Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nearest snow to Calais this weekend?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I was planning to drive to La Bresse in the Vosges on Friday night for a quick weekend but the web cam is looking a bit dismal.

Does anyone have any better suggestions for somewhere to go that is driveable from Calais (La Bresse is 6 hours so we don't want to go too much further if we can help it)?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It seems a shame to say it, but I'd save your fuel and stamina (!) and do something interesting along the Channel coast or go to Lille...and ski when the snow really makes it worthwhile.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Xscape at Milton Keynes is pretty snow sure and you make that in 6 hours wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
One other ski area a similar distance from Calais (AA Route planner says 703km, 6hrs 46mins) is Braunlage in the Harz mountains of Germany, see www.braunlage.de However, judging from the information on www.schneenews.de they don't seem to have much snow at the moment. Sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Harz !!!!!!!!!!!!!! You really, really don't want to rely on the Internet for this sort of stuff, there's just no way you can get there from Calais in that time, besides it'll not have snow, it never normally does. There's the Massif Central of course, but the snow doesn't look too special there either. Funnily, enough I used to live near all those places, the Harz, Massif Central and the Voseges, the Massif Central offers the best snow of them all.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Chatel is 506 miles from Calais by the most direct route, whether there is enough snow to make the journey worthwhile, who knows?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well, Playdreamer, two others and I made to La Bresse for 2am local time after getting the 6pm tunnel shuttle 370miles from Calais. It all turned out fine, the web cam points at the lowest worst bit of the resort, the west facing red. We got 50% of the pistes open, blue skies, sun.

The prevous weeks melt had affected things but the cold snap just before was enought to save things and allow some snow making. Lifts and runs were open on the three main hills so you could scoot around the resort. It's amazing what they can do with machine snow and some packing. Fairways of snow just 15cm deep to get you over the patchy bits.

It's greating boarding. The hills are pudding bowls, shallow at the top and steep at the bottom. Tops are either grassy or decidious trees with pines on the steep - so good shade to help with the snowholding. Runs are about 200-300m verticals and about 1000m horizontal.

I went for the Aurora session at 6.30am. Me, six boarders, six skiers, our own chairlift and a great blue run Blanchemer to crank up the carves on. Crispy corduroy on steeps, wide elbow turns and long runs home. Empty sections with just you, the board and the biggest carves waiting to happen. Keeping warm was easy with thigh-burning turns. Watching dawn rise over the ridge was also a great experience

Also the view from the summit, Kastelberg, was superb. The Vosgeans summits, some snow on the summit of the Black Fores and the Alps tantalising in the distance.

The resort is forecast to get a dump tonight so looks set to be in better shape next week. Go on, go for it.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy