Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canazei Resort Report Feedback Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This is a feedback thread for luigi's resort report:

Canazei (January 2009)

Feel free to add, comment, or write your own report...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Been going there for past 15 years at least one week during the season
Normally get to ski elsewhere in Europe as well and the Dolomites always measures up. Contact me directly for any Q and I will help if I can !
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How is the area for total beginners?

Trying to pick from here or Selva Val Gardena.

Thanks
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@nba2005uk,
I can't vouch for Selva, and it about 8 years ago when we stayed down the road in Campitello di Fassa,
I think the slopes would be rather good for beginners .. I would always advise them to have lessons though, they always enjoy being in the company of other debutants.

From memory it was a big wide area with plenty of room for beginners to gain confidence.

Back then I remember there was always a huge queue in the morning to get onto the lift system at both at Campitello and Canazei,
enough to make us go a further few minutes on the bus to Alba which was almost empty and delightful.

I've got to start looking for locations that are kind to ageing old guys with creaking bodies.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nba2005uk wrote:
How is the area for total beginners?

Trying to pick from here or Selva Val Gardena.

Thanks

Neither is ideal for beginners, with you needing to go up the mountain at Canazei-Belvedere or Alba-Ciampac if you stay there, but at least you get nice views up high and there are a selection of blues to progress onto.

With Selva, they have nice nursery slopes in the village (though not all accommodation is near them), but there aren't really any blue runs that are accessible from the village without having to do a red or drive/catch a bus up to Plan de Gralba first. Though for total beginners, that might not be a big issue as you won't be leaving the nursery slopes for 2/3 days and there is one slightly steeper slope up behind them where you go on the 3rd/4th day.

As to choosing between the two, a lot would depend on the cost and distance of accommodation from the lifts/nursery slopes, but all things being equal I'd choose Selva.

You will love it, I learned to ski there. On the fifth day they bussed us up to Passo Sella and we did a whole day on all the lovely cruisey blue runs up there with the spectacular views of the Sassolungo and Sella Massif, had lunch at a mountain restaurant, ending up skiing right back down to the village at the end of the day. That really gave us a taste of what skiing can be after 4 days of falling over on the nursery slopes. Sixth day was free to explore.

In Selva, you might want to just get points cards instead of full lift passes for the first few days, unless you plan on riding big lifts in the afternoons after ski school.

Both resorts are great spots if there are any intermediates in the party able to take advantage of the Sella Ronda and huge linked area.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Anyone been to or booked to go to Canazei or the surrounding area? Just trying to gauge what the skiing is like, the apres and if there are any curfews like in Austria.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
elchenuk wrote:
Anyone been to or booked to go to Canazei or the surrounding area? Just trying to gauge what the skiing is like, the apres and if there are any curfews like in Austria.

I've stayed in Canazei once and Selva many times. Draw your own conclusions. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@elchenuk, you can see a snowHeads review of this area
here.
I cannot comment on apres, but as far as I am aware there is no specific curfew at present.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mollerski wrote:
elchenuk wrote:

I've stayed in Canazei once and Selva many times. Draw your own conclusions. Madeye-Smiley

+1
Nothing wrong with the skiing above Canazei if you want to stay in that area . But you will use up a lot of time on buses and cable cars/ gondolas and links getting to the SR and elsewhere. Selva-click and go Very Happy
Picked up Covid in Canazei too-so might be biased but lots of buses cable cars and gondolas required to get you in to snow in first place. Was also interested to note the complete lack of “policing” on the run into Canazei (outskirts) Speedsters were loving it. rolling eyes
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy