Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Really need some advice

Poster: A snowHead
A long story but I'll try to keep it brief.......
I've been skiing about 15 weeks, give or take a couple of long weekends......on my 2nd ski holiday I was hit by a boarder and suffered concussion and a back/hip injury that resulted in a femoral nerve lesion. This took me 9 months to recover from and has left me with permanent but not severe nerve damage to my left leg.
Just as I thought I was getting to grips with the sport I was diagnosed with breast cancer, I had surgery, chemo, radiotherapy and then reconstruction. It's been a bit of a long haul but now I'm fitter than ever and last season, to ease me back into skiing, I bought some short skis, salomon axess 120's. They've been great, I've got my confidence back and actually am skiing better than ever. I've just bought some new boots, atomic M80's and now, having realised the shortcomings of the 120's, want to try some new skis. I'd like a ski that does everything, copes with all conditions, that is fine for me now but also has room for me to improve. As far as my ability goes I'm happy skiing reds in good conditions but still struggle if the conditions aren't great, I'll never want to do a black. Any ideas?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skimum wrote:
I'd like a ski that does everything, copes with all conditions, that is fine for me now but also has room for me to improve.

Put Movement Spicys on your shortlist. My wife loves hers and they seem to perform very well in all conditions (she has a similar level of experience as you)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
K2 luv and Head one series worth a look aswell
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimum, what they said, and *please* find a good instructor to spend 2-3 days per holiday with.

They will save you so much energy and effort every trip that it will eclipse any ski choice you make now.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

They will save you so much energy and effort every trip that it will eclipse any ski choice you make now.

hear hear. With a good, effective, laboursaving technique (which most of us can only learn from instructors, not on our own) you'll be able to ski fine on all sorts of skis.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I can't tell you how many lessons I've had. I started out with group lessons with New Gen (very good), then decided the way forward was private lessons and I've had A LOT. My husband and brother (both good skiers) say I need miles now and to try to give the instructors up (I did get addicted), having said that I've got a couple of private lessons booked for next weekend with the gorgeous Adrien (Zigzag ski Morillon) so I'm looking forward to that.
I loved the 120's and they certainly did a lot for my confidence but now I think I really need to get back on longer skis, I've realised that short skis have quite a lot of shortcomings and aren't great in lots of conditions. So, as I said I'm keen on finding something that will go anywhere in all sorts of conditions but it's rather a mine field and I don't want to make a mistake so any suggestions would be gratefully received and researched Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimum, welcome to snowHead
I love my Dynastar Exclusive Legends. 60/40 on/off piste, I go everywhere with confidence. Length wise you may be in for a bit of a jump from your 120's as the shortest you can get these is 152, so maybe give yourself a day to get used to them before you take on anything challenging. If you're lucky you might be able to pick up a pair of last season's stock (purple) at a reduced price too wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimum, not a specific model, more of a criterion: 13-16m published radius, 72-76 mm waist.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sorry also meant to say:-

uktrailmonster, had a look at Movement Spicy's, they look great but I'm wondering if they're perhaps a ski too much for me??????

papasmurf, I've tried one of the K2 Luvs in the past and not sure that they're for me but I like the look of the Head Great One.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
flowa, just looked at a review and they certainly read very well. I'm 5ft 7 and used to ski on 154's (still short for my height I know) so 152's would be ok - not really looking to go much longer, I'm sure it'll feel like having a pair of clown shoes on to start with Laughing I think dynastar is widely available to hire in France so hopefully I'll be able to find some.

comprex, I'm not very up on this so forgive me but does radius depend on length?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skimum, it does more often than not,

but I didn't make any length assumptions. What do you weigh, if you'd excuse so crude a question?

The parameters I did select were for different reasons entirely

(an all-mountain feel without being much, much slower to edge than your 120s, easy to control at ski school speeds, smoother engagement than technical or slalom derived skis)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
comprex, not a crude question at all, I'm 63kg.......as I think you may have gathered the reasons I liked the 120's were that they're easy to control, especially good for short radius turns (which I was never very good at), they're not twitchy and don't feel like they're going to do something unpredictable, they're good carvers plus they don't go too fast. What I've now discovered that I'm not so keen on is that if you need to snowplough down narrow tracks, ski through chopped up cruddy stuff, fresh unpisted snow, schuss, ski fast or stop quickly then they're not so great. It's all very well having a ski that likes groomed conditions but for the most part what I ski is far less than perfectly groomed and I want something that can cope with it all........hopefully not too much to ask Puzzled

Thanks for the input everyone Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimum, in fact very many skis would fit that.

Not to be a pest, but what do you mean when you say that you liked the access 120s "for not going too fast"? Not really asking for a speed here, rather, are you still not comfortable at speed? Have you outgrown the 120s' stability envelope? Did you mean that they would carve nicely without asking for a lot of starting speed to do so?

Also, I would have expected them to be pretty good at snowploughing down narrow tracks. I wonder why you didn't find them so. I would have expected them to be terrible at coping with ice.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimum, can't give you any equipment advice but from one cancer survivor to another I'd just like to say hello and well done... Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
comprex, not a pest at all, I'm grateful for your interest.

I'll give you a for instance.......narrow(ish) track, chopped up conditions, LOADS of people, drop offs (which is my worst fear) so out comes my snowplough but it doesn't cut through the moundy, heavy snow (if you get my drift) and I don't seem to be able to control my speed very well with it i.e I feel out of control.........maybe it was me but I was always very good at snowploughing!

I liked the 120's for not going too fast when I first got back on skis, now I find I'm playing catch-up all the time. I'm far more comfortable with speed than I used to be, and yes at faster speeds the 120's don't feel hugely stable. I feel they've served their purpose i.e got me skiing with confidence again but I've used them for 4 weeks now and I want to start stretching myself again...... to do that I think I need different skis.
ski holidays
queen bodecia, thanks for that Very Happy
latest report
skimum, gotcha, the 120s got deflected by the sheer mass of loose snow, flexed away and wouldn't give you much purchase.
snow report
skimum wrote:

uktrailmonster, had a look at Movement Spicy's, they look great but I'm wondering if they're perhaps a ski too much for me??????

I doubt they'd be too much for you. They're very light for their size and my wife got used to them within a day. They wouldn't be any harder to keep on top of than say Head Great Ones. The Great Ones were high up on my wife's shortlist too, but she decided they were a bit too stiff and heavy for her liking (she's 55 kg and used to very light skis). The Movements have been something of a revelation for her. She wanted a ski to improve off piste in variable conditions and these have done the job really well, while also working very well on piste. They're not too stiff, but they carve nicely on groomed and can cope well with both short and long radius turns. They seem good in moguls too, which I found surprising.
ski holidays
comprex, absolutely right, and very well put!

uktrailmonster, I like the fact that they're light and I must admit they read well in the reviews I've looked at. I'm not very interested in off piste but sometimes (in fact quite often) conditions on piste are so variable that having a purely on piste carver doesn't cut it. I'd never heard of Movement skis, do you think they'll have these to try in resort in France? I'm quite keen to try before I buy but french ski hire shops (especially in the less glitzy resorts) tend to carry the same makes e.g salomon, rossignol, dynastar etc.
ski holidays
Movement are a Swiss manufacturer, so I would have thought they are readily available in France. As off piste is not important, you might prefer the Movement Chicka to the Spicy. They're a little narrower at 77 mm.
snow conditions
skimum, last question, I promise! Have you skied the M80 boots yet?

Anyhow, some other ideas:

Dynastar Exlusive Active/Contact 4x4 (unisex), older Contact 11, older Exclusive 11
Salomon Origin series, older Siam Origin, Xwing tornado & Xwing Blast
Atomic Heaven's Gate
ski holidays
comprex, no I only bought the M80's last week, so haven't used them yet. When we skied at New Year my Head Edge 9's, which I've had since I started, felt sloppy and my feet were freezing so I thought it was time for a new pair. I tried lots of boots on, did a bit of research, the M80's felt great and they definately seemed to fit the bill - love the idea of toasty toes Very Happy

I like the sound of the Salomon Jewel Origins, I think my friend has these (I recognise the colour and graphics) and I'm skiing with her next weekend so I'll be able to get a first hand review. I want to try out a few next weekend but I don't think I'll buy in France as the exchange rate, although recovering slightly, is not great and I can probably get skis cheaper here. So far I've got quite a few on the list though I doubt I'll be able to find them all.

Thank you all for your suggestions - all gratefully received Very Happy
snow conditions
skimum, ah, I suspected as much, which is the primary reason I didn't recommend anything over 76mm waist.

New boots + new fattish skis -> high chance of not so happy skimum, at least for the first few tries.
snow conditions
Quote:

I'm sure it'll feel like having a pair of clown shoes on to start with

I don't think it will. I used short (120cm) Wedze skis for several days last week because visitors were borrowing both pairs of my normal skis. I quite enjoyed them for that time but getting back onto my normal skis (162 Rossignol Attraxion V) felt quite natural. In the days when I used to swap back and forth between skis and snowblades, that transition was VERY different. You might find some of the Rossi Attraxions worth a look, too.
snow report
comprex, do you think I'll notice a big difference with new boots?

pam w, I did hire some Attraxions a couple of years ago and liked them but don't know if they'd be right for me, I find so much choice quite confusing really. Do you mind me asking what level skier you are?
snow report
skimum, either you'll be very happy or you'll bring them into the fitters' for work.

I'm just saying that wider skis amplify errors in boot fit (if there are any, of course), and require a bit more active leg control, so better know and trust the boot before going shopping in the 78mm-85mm waist aisles.
ski holidays
If you live near xscape you can test skis there via Ellis Brigham. I found this really helpful. I think what matters is that they feel right for you.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy