Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dangers of walking alone at night in ski resorts

Poster: A snowHead
Nadenoodlee, Yes I see your point. Did the girl who received the text do anything about it? Did the text convey the danger of the situation? cc_7up, makes the very valid point about respecting the dangers of hypothermia; it may be that such trips may well include a briefing on etiquette when out on the lash in the mountains in winter.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Frosty the Snowman, As far as im aware they tried to call her back - didnt get a reply. The french police were thinking of charging the friends at one stage - I dont know what has happened since.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There's a couple of points I'd make, having walked around Val d'Isere on numerous ski trips since 1970. I once spent a month there with friends.

1. I can remember not knowing the resort, as a 17-year-old. Ski resorts aren't huge places, but their streets often have twists and turns and you can get lost.

2. You don't expect to die when walking home in a ski resort, and you don't expect anyone else to die. On a calm night (this was presumably a clear starry night) everything seems very peaceful. There are thousands of people around, even if most of them are in bed.

3. We don't know what level of alcohol was in Rachel Ward's blood, and we therefore don't know whether she was influenced by it.

4. We don't know if her friends had any particular reason to fear for her safety if they knew she had left the venue, assuming her friends were in the venue.

5. We don't know if Rachel left the building unannounced, and therefore whether anyone else could be expected to know that she was leaving.

In terms of cities (mainly) I agree that it's best if people look after each other late at night. I've two student daughters, and it's always reassuring to know that they're often taken home - or near home - by friends. But even in London, at night, that doesn't always happen.

Essentially, in this terrible tragedy, we know very little ... and harsh judgements are best kept unsaid until the facts are known. There's a fair chance that a reliable writer is on to this one. RIP to Rachel.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Goldsmith, Very nicely put
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Goldsmith, well said.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The French police would love to charge the friends, because it would mean they could point the blame at somebody, rather than pointing the blame at the (tourist-frightening) reality that a ski resort is a dangerous place.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is what happened in this case really a danger of walking alone at night in ski resorts, or is it a danger of drunken carelessness?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We know that Rachel was lost. We know that she died in a river.

We don't know whether she was sober, drunk, or anything in-between.

The police have reportedly ruled out foul play, but it's not unknown for people to be pushed into rivers.

What do we actually know?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Telegraph reports today (in a feature article) that she was reportedly not "drunk". She had been drinking.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Joanne Mountainsun, no its not harsh - they let her go off on her own, drunk and in a strange place. Thats pi$$ poor friendship as far as im concerned.

This really isn't for us to judge. None of us know the circumstances. Maybe they didn't "let her" go off on her own - I'm sure she was quite capable of doing so without their permission (not saying that this is what she did - just highlighting the fact that we do not know what happened so let's not try to guess?)

As others have said, the people left behind will have enough guilty feeling to bear without outsiders making them feel worse.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Goldsmith, Absolutely - so before anyone gets holier than thou and state anyone cares more about their friends than the next person please take these points into account! These friends will be re-living and going over and over what happened for the rest of their lives, and until a tragedy like this happens to you, or you happen to know the people concerned it's really not for anyone to judge!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I can just imagine some other scenarios, Nadenoodlee:

1. The boy who left his mobile back in the chalet and had a missed call from her, rang her when he got back & no response. Should he have gone in, uninvited, into a girl's room???

2. At what point, when you're out with a group, and come home in dribs and drabs, does the non-arrival of another person become a call-the-police moment? Perhaps when the first person gets back and finds he's ahead of all the others???

It is dangerous out there in a ski resort. It is a truly sad tale, but I don't think from available evidence that blame is attributable - though those involved will blame themselves for ever. With luck, for a couple of weeks(...), people will be more careful.

I sincerely hope that her friends don't ever find one or two posts on this thread.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Goldsmith wrote:
There's a couple of points I'd make.

thanks david for highlighting what is known... in the original post I never said that Rachel was drunk or even that she had been drinking. I just felt that there are too many of these kind of incidents not to raise the subject as they should all be avoidable while still letting people go out on the town and have a bit of fun.

ps

I will just add that my brother died of hypothermia (a long time ago) after his car broke down in a blizzard and he attempted to walk back. He didn't want to wake up my parents and almost certainly had no idea of the consequences of leaving his car. This will stay with the family and close friends.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof, Sad
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
James the Last wrote:
The French police would love to charge the friends,

The French police say they wouldn't. They've closed the case.
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee, yeah... actually the local pharmacist here is a guy I rescued twice when we saw him staggering around after a drinking session... Even folks we did not know that well - we always made sure they were put somewhere safe to recover... sometimes that meant "removing" them from strangers that may have been well meaning but no-one was too sure it was wise given the state of inebriation of the participant and the fact that no-one could ID the stranger...
snow conditions
This sort of thing happens far more often than most holiday skiers realise unfortunately. Sad Sad, but preditable
snow report
First and foremost is that each of us has to take responsibility for our own safety.

However,

Tour operator's Reps could highlight the danger of hypothermia as part of their initial briefing en route to the resort.

Resort Bars could also put up warning posters along the lines of;

COLD KILLS

c/w a hard hitting picture of someone that froze to death in a ski resort.

People might just get the message.
ski holidays
Its not just young'uns either. Last week (week before?) a ski instructor in Saas Fee died. She was 48 I think, walking home and slipped on a path. Rumour had it that she hit her head, fell unconscious and was found the next morning, dead. There was a funeral service with many of the red-jacketed ski school instructors at the church.

Very sad.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy