Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dangers of walking alone at night in ski resorts

Poster: A snowHead
The frozen body of a British student has been found face down in the Isere, the river that starts in the ski resort of Val d’Isere. The body was discovered by a season worker early this morning. The air temperature was -10 degrees.

The fire brigade had considerable difficulty recovering the body of a young woman "dressed in town clothes". The police immediately began an inquiry to identify the victim (Rachel Ward) who was not carrying any identification. A camera found on the body showed pictures taken at Durham university. Students from the establishment are in the resort for the "On the Piste" week organized by the eponymous tour operator.

It seems the woman had decided to return along to her accommodation after a night out with friends. At 1h15 on the Monday night she sent a message to the phone of one of her friends saying that she was lost. It seems that she may have attempted to cross the river, lost her footing and fell into the icy-water.

The inquiry to establish the exact circumstances surrounding the death is ongoing but it resembles a tragic series of similar incidents in French ski resorts. In August 2004 British Solider Blake Hartley disappeared returning along to his campsite after a night on the town. His body was only found in January, 2007 in the River L'Arve, 60km from Chamonix. There have been a number of accidents in les Deux Alps with lone revelers losing their way above the cliffs of Venosc.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 14-01-09 15:00; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sad, Sad news. Major condolences to the family. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What a tragic tale...

I walk around by myself at night a lot, whether on holiday or just on a night out. I know the risks, but if I didn't do this I'd have no social life. With this in mind, I don't drink excessively and I'm pretty careful to keep to well lit streets...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So awful. Condolences from us too Crying or Very sad
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Shocking news. Read it earlier this afternoon. As liam said, condolonces to her family.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I am sure there was a similar case a couple of years ago involving a british student.

EDIT Here it is http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=33601 Sad

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 14-01-09 15:12; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Very tragic.

Frosty the Snowman, wasn't there also a similar report more recently near La Daille?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chasseur, There was one on here of a bloke that had gone onto his balcony for a fag and heard someone in distress

and a quick search http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=39056
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman, ahhh yes. Thanks. Memory is clearly unclear these days Embarassed
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Eesh! Shocked

Bit of a scary thought. Although going out in "town clothes" depends on the town you are from. For Newcastle girls that could be pelment/boob tube. I think people forget they are 1500m up a mountain in winter either that or they have their "beer jacket" on. (which is a much shorter lasting beer jacket than the UK variety)

I remember being left in the Garage day before Xmas Eve. (3 weeks ago Embarassed ) and my friends couldn't find me as I was outside chatting to some nice boys. so they left without me and texted me to let me know they were back in the chalet and it wasn't far - i'd be fine walking back!

I ended up walking back to the chalet up the hill but the fog was really thick and heavy. Thankfully Morzine is well gritted etc but I still walked right past my chalet and only worked out how far I'd gone when I saw the neon sign we used as a bus stop.

Moral - don't let your friends leave without you. Or pay attention to where they are instead of chatting to cute boys. rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yet another senseless, tragic and unnecessary death in Val D'Isere.

Wasn't it only last season another student died of hypothermia in Val D'Isere when his mates lost track of him after they all drank too much.

Please guys stick together in groups and look after each other. It beggars belief but I saw loads of students in December going out dressed only in T-Shirts and shorts waiting to get into the nigh clubs in temperatures below zero.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A couple of seasons ago in St Anton someone fell over (drunk) late at night in town. It snowed all night which was enough to cover the body. The alarm was raised in the morning about a missing person.
The civil defence force & army were called out & probed with rods sniffer dogs the whole town, gardens,railway embankment, river until it was found Sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've been in VdI when these student weeks are on and it's pretty scary. The kids wander around in next to nothing in freezing temps and by 9-ish they're all pretty well gone so by 11-ish they can barely stand up. I know I was hardly a picture of innocence in my youth and when I was in a ski resort I was probably even worse but looking back now I was probably lucky. We're never going to stop people "having a good time", especially youngsters, but as someone has said above, at least try and look after one another.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've found a young lad passed out drunk in the street in Val d'Isere, starting to be covered in snow. Fortunately we were able to take him back to his hotel.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Shocked lucky, lucky lad
ski holidays
Very sad Sad
There was a similar incident in Mottaret between Christmas and New Year. A young man, a technician at the Meribel Ice Rink, left a club, and was found the next day, drowned, in a river. A minutes silence was observed at the French Ice Hockey final a few days later, which was held in Meribel.
ski holidays
Very sad, but I can't help thinking of Darwin in some of these cases
latest report
I did some daft things in my youth (long time ago) when I had a belly full of beer, but what has changed is this sort of cult idea whereby young people go out totally under dressed in cold weather.

I know Newcastle was famous for it, but it seems to have caught on everywhere now and in ski resorts it's obviously particularly dangerous.

This is a very sad case, but as we has seen from several posts it's not the first time and I am afraid that it will not be the last.
ski holidays
We found someone drunk outside the apartments in les Arcs. My mate dragged him inside where he would at least be warm and he was so drunk he thought that he was being attacked and begged to be left alone.
latest report
richjp wrote:
I did some daft things in my youth (long time ago) when I had a belly full of beer, but what has changed is this sort of cult idea whereby young people go out totally under dressed in cold weather..

When I lived in Didcot a couple of decades ago the girls used to go out in nothing at all even when it was -5C! Still at least knickers were bigger back then.
snow report
Yet another tragedy. i was in VDI last week and was surprised that none of the paths or streets were cleared meaning many were very slippery. Apparently this is town policy, partly linked to prepartion for the World Championships where they are reuired/have promised to keep the town white with snow. The gossip from the medics and physios was that they have had booming business in injuries as a result of people slipping in the town. We don't know if the recent death was related to slipping on a path, but plently of injuries could have been prevented by proper clearing of paths and streets.
ski holidays
SuburbanSkier, That's a very good point, Zermatt has similarly lethal paths. When I was there last January I did go out, have several (or more) glasses, and walk back to my hotel alone. Perhaps I was just a little luckier than others.
snow conditions
SuburbanSkier, I think you can reasonably expect some icy/snowy paths and streets in most ski resorts, not just Val D'Isere. The very sad accident announced in this thread doesn't seem to have been the result of an icy street.

davidof, of what relevance is the size of the knickers the girls weren't wearing? Surely they'd be the first garment discarded?

Purple blotches and goose pimples seemed de rigeur in Portsmouth, when I used occasionally to pick up my daughter from sleazy clubs (the only kind Portsmouth has - thankfully she's now married and living in Brighton). I used to hate those trips down there, watching very young girls falling around in vest tops.
latest report
What awful news. My wife's god-daughter is out there with Durham University. It must be awful for the dead girl's friends who are probably feeling extremely guilty, and as for her parents, probably just thinking that they had succesfully launched their daughter into adulthood, one can only guess how they're feeling. Awful awful awful.
snow conditions
Nick L wrote:
What awful news.

I agree. Given that wondering about alone seems to be a major cause of death in ski resorts hopefully people will read this and stick together a bit more when they go out on the town. You don't expect it walking back from a bar or disco.
latest report
It happens a lot in Russia, I remember reading.

Nick L, the poor girl was a friend of a friend of my daughter at Durham.
snow report
Story now on the BeeB
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7828887.stm
latest report
Sad event and all the more wasteful for being so predictable and so preventable . . every bloody season this stupidity happens Sad

davidof wrote:
When I lived in Didcot a couple of decades ago the girls used to go out in nothing at all even when it was -5C! Still at least knickers were bigger back then.

The knickers are the same size, it's the αrses that have got bigger . . .
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Very tragic indeed. My thoughts are with her family.
latest report
Same thing very nearly happened at Valmorel last week, Scottish guy spent all night in the river on the way back from bar apparently, was found the following day.
latest report
Boredsurfing wrote:
Story now on the BeeB
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7828887.stm

The PM hasn't been completed yet so no-one knows if Ms Ward was drunk or just lost and confused (see snowheads News). The Gendarmerie says she was crossing the river on what looked like a "snow bridge" but had city boots on with little grip. I remember a similar incident in Chamonix in '99 when a rep did the same thing.

Please please do not try to cross rivers in ski resorts - that's why they put in bridges!

BBC reporting is so full of non-sequiturs these days
> A local newspaper said she froze to death after sending a text message to a friend at 1.15am saying she was lost.

Ok so sending a text message is a cause of hypothermia?

They then wibble on about Rob Gauntlett which has zero relation with this incident. They may just as well say John Smith was killed in a frontal collision driving to Tignes on Sunday.
snow report
snow bridge?

so is that like, ice and snow over the water? seems like a stupid question but im surprised that people would try and cross something like that, esp at night, drunk, and alone Shocked
ski holidays
According to the Metro website, they are considering charging her friends for neglect.

Someone on our recent Uni trip to VT ended up passing out UNDER a car.

Luckily(ish) the end of the night was pretty early in the morning so they were only under there a couple of hours before the sun came up, but that could've ended up alot worse.
latest report
Im no angel but rule number one with my friends is no one goes home or wanders off on their own. We go together - all our mums drilled it into us from an early age and we've stuck to it. It seems that these drinking tours (why cant they just go on their own?? - they even have to be bloody spoonfed their social lives!) are run by ppl just out of uni who dont give a monkeys about anyone. Now yes she was a grown up and should have known better but her friends are really really crap and should feel partially responsible at least imo.
snow report
Nadenoodlee wrote:
but her friends are really really crap .

Bit of a harsh thing to say of her friends (who are, no doubt, going through a terrible time) unless you know exactly what happened and all the circumstances ! Tragic! What a terribly sad story.
latest report
Doesn't need to be a ski resort or abroad. Last winter a teenager got lost trying to walk home through Culloden Woods, a place that he frequently walked. In deteriorating weather in blizzard conditions he stumbled onto the railway line and followed it. Drunk and wearing headphones, he didn't hear the snowplough train approaching from behind. Shocked Sad

It never fails to amaze me the numbers of people out at 3-4am in mid winter in sub zero weather with so little clothes you'd catch hypothermia in mid July. TBH we're probably lucky such stories aren't a lot more common, abroad and at home. Take care folks.
latest report
Hypothermia is an unfeeling killer.

If you do not respect it then you will pay the price where ever you are in the world.
latest report
Joanne Mountainsun, no its not harsh - they let her go off on her own, drunk and in a strange place. Thats pi$$ poor friendship as far as im concerned.
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee, When folks get drunk they lose much rationality. It can be impossible to keep track of all members of a group in such situations. If someone wants to go walkabout then there is little you can do about it. All it takes is an instant for them to be lost from your site.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, I think that is very sad if people think like that. Maybe I am very lucky to have friends who care about each other's safety. WHy didnt they raise the alarm when they got back home and realised she wasnt there? Being drunk is fine - but using it to excuse yourself of any responsibility is a bit rubbish.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy