Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can fat people..

Poster: A snowHead
the great thing about skiing is that anyone can do it, whether they're fit, slim or otherwise. However the fitter you are the easier it is, and very fat people can have a lot of problems getting up when they fall down. When I worked at Sandown we had a 25stone man for lessons - when he fell the whole slope shook, and it took 4 of us to get him up! Shocked
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
easiski, I bet you don't put 2 "larger" pupil on a T-bar together nowadays wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
queen bodecia, I am in total agreement with you here I am a 14 and I feel chunky its ridiculous isnt it I blame it all on Heat Magazine !
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Helen LS, is Heat magazine, in its choice of totty for covers and features, fuelling the market or reacting to it? Surely those magazine use slim, toned, tidy looking birds with good racks because that's what people want to look at.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
erica2004,
Quote:

...really get fit enough to ski properly ?

yes I think so to a certain extent. I'm chunky and don't have any problems but not sure I could currently hack too much cross-country skiing for example. Trouble is, the better you get at downhill, I find the fewer calories you burn Toofy Grin

What inspired you to start this thread btw?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I am very interested in this thread. I am age 54 and, like many middle-aged men, my ski fitness had declined. I had gradually swapped muscle for fat. Last year I decided to do something about it.
I worked on a principle of ski-efficiency: you have less innate athleticism as you age, so you need to maximise your efficiency. I reckoned the 3 important things were:
-Get fit (cycling/ gym)
-Lose weight (lost 11kg on a diet)
-Use good ski gear (well fitting boots/ sharp skis etc)
I ski a lot better; quicker, more agile, more stamina. I cannot seperate each of them in percentage terms but I suspect that if you are carrying a lot of excess body fat, it will sap your stamina, reduce your agility and increase the forces on your joints.
Mick
PS The fourth element is better tecnique, but that's another story.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
penster, The 4th element is vital if 1 & 2 are not going well.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hyweljenkins wrote:
Helen LS, is Heat magazine, in its choice of totty for covers and features, fuelling the market or reacting to it? Surely those magazine use slim, toned, tidy looking birds with good racks because that's what people want to look at.

I'm not sure whether that is it.... Studies have shown that the average favourite size in a mans eyes is 14, I personally would take a 12-14 over skinny any day of the week. I sometimes wonder if the fasion magazine industry just assumes that that's what people want to see although from a technical perspective it's easier to produce an 'attractive' photograph with skinny models..

I was reading the freeride ski-tests in Jan's Ski & Snowboard mag and just happened to glance at the womens advanced section and the headline for the Amplid Milo ski read "Best for: Powerful lasses with well-built quads".......... Phwoar...... That sounds like my kinda girly Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lou, My sister is very overweight (she lives in the States) and I've been trying to encourage her to shed a few stone and suggested that she goes skiing. She said she's 'too fat' and would find it difficult to 'manage'. I just need something to motivate her as she was always a healthy person. I'm worried about her health (blood pressure, increased risk of diabetes etc.).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Vipa, interesting. I prefer a 10/12, but skinny (as Kate Moss was) is not at all attractive. Louise from Hollyoaks, on the other hand, ...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hyweljenkins wrote:
Vipa, interesting. I prefer a 10/12, but skinny (as Kate Moss was) is not at all attractive. Louise from Hollyoaks, on the other hand, ...

I'm with you on Louise but I much prefer Nancy! snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Stop holding up Top Shop as the holy grail - you could probably fit in alot of things there however the cut of their jeans etc is designed for people with no hips whatsoever (teenage girls and skinny people) so even if you are a 14 or 16 chances are the jeans wont fit and never will, unless you smash your hips in with a mallet, but that kind of defeats the point.

Didnt they do a survey a few weeks ago and size 14 people were the happiest? I've lost weight recently simply because i've upped my exercise to run the marathon and I've stopped drinking. Now I fit in Roxy Snowboard pants - so I am happy

Megamum, you need a style overhaul now you're all super shaped.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
erica2004, I think someone she loves dearly backing her up by telling her to shed 2 stone is the best motivation a woman can get... Evil or Very Mad

She is responsible for her health. Maybe she has other reasons why she does not want to ski? After all you say she is a healthy person.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hyweljenkins, - sorry, very quick thread hi-jack..... Blimey, just been reading your NYC blog.... 24 hours.... CRAZY!!!!! Laughing You didn't miss much with the Empire State Building, apart from maybe the rediculous que to get up there, Rockerfeller building is better (well... since the twin towers came down anyway, was fortunate to go up them on 2 separate occassions before 9/11.) Well done, very impressed.... 24 hours.... Geez... I thought I was the only one who did mad things like that... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Blimey! Maybe I'll stop whinging about being a size 14. After all I guess I should be grateful that from the ages of 22-40 I've stayed precisely the same clothes size...
latest report
queen bodecia wrote:
Blimey! Maybe I'll stop whinging about being a size 14. After all I guess I should be grateful that from the ages of 22-40 I've stayed precisely the same clothes size...

Size 14 = Very Happy
Size 12 = Neutral
Size 10 = Confused
Size 8 and under = Shocked & Sad

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 15-01-09 13:14; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Blobby people on skis look tragic.
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
Blobby people on skis look tragic.

That's if you can catch a glimps of them as thier additional momentum carries them past you at warp factor 9..... She canna take any more Cap'n...... she's gonna blow!!! Laughing
snow report
Vipa, that 24hcb trip was absolutely incredible. I haven't written up the trip notes yet but will do this weekend. I drove back to Cheltenham (from LHR) to be in work for 10.15 on the Monday morning. I was shattered. New Yorkers are incredibly friendly people.

Next stop: Berlin.
snow conditions
I think if you did a survey of very overweight people, most of them would decline a FREE ski holiday as they are not the type of people who think exercise can actuallly be fun, plus its possibly not part of their lives.

I worked at a gym and a lot of the clients who were very overweight didn't want to run on the tredmill (or a fast walk) cos they looked and felt very self conscious! Think this may apply to learning to ski, I now work with obese kids and their families its the same..............tragic Crying or Very sad
snow report
erica2004, hmm I suppose depends on how overweight your sister is. I can't imagine it would be much fun trying to get up, especially when learning if you were very overweight. I didn't lose what I would have liked, 16 instead of 14, before last trip, and that's when I could feel the extra pounds (luckily falling over not so common these days Little Angel )
ski holidays
Whitegold,
Quote:

Blobby people on skis look tragic

There are many ways to look tragic on skis. But I would rather see an obese person out there enjoying the mountains than sittng at home.
snow report
Zobo, isn't self-conciousness is a hurdle for most people who join gyms? Most people join for the same reasons, though: vanity and/or health.
snow conditions
Lou, I was the wrong side of 17 stone when I went back to skiing as an adult. It was surprisingly EASY for an overweight woman to embrace skiing as exercise. It's fun, it's a one-man-show, you dress UP rather than down (nobody will see your wobbly bits in lycra) and your weight works WITH you as opposed to against you. Assuming your joints aren't wrecked it's a piece of p*ss and my instructor showed a fail-safe method of getting up for ANY size, not quite as dignified... but needs must et al. My biggest fear I suppose was wiping out a child - but then I think EVERYONE worries about that, not just the plump pixies. Wink

Vipa ain't that the truth! *flies past at the speed of light*
snow report
Zobo, Encourage them with an mp3 player on the treadmill, put them at the FRONT of the class with everyone behind them. If those behind REALLY want to stare at a fat, bouncing a*se, let them knock themselves out . I find it much easier to be in front of everyone than behind "comparing". If someone really really really wants to focus on my a*se then they need to get out more! Razz
snow conditions
Alexandra, nice one Laughing

You just know that in a couple of years time a holiday company will cotton on and start a company for larger adults who want to learn to ski......namely Obeski................god I have just given myself an idea.......need to Patent that Puzzled
ski holidays
Alexandra, stop talking about bottoms! the man in the bike shop just suggested I clip my new bike light to the waist band of my joggers for my cycle home - ALL OF LONDON is going to see it illuminated in all its glory snowHead
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee, should make them slow down if nothing else! Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anyway, a size 14 isn't a 14 anymore. Haven't you heard of vanity sizing? We're all a whole lot bigger than our previous generation. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
erica2004, I think you're right. I can wear a Howies Merino tshirt under a small Fat Face fleece under a small Berghaus fleece. Fat Face has always been generous in the cut, but I've always been medium. Given that FF sizes are larger than other places, I'm amazed that they have stuff in XXXL.
snow report
erica2004, yep thats why when people say Marilyn Monroe was a 16 it really annoys me, yes she was a 16, but thats like a 12 these days! We're taller and narrower about the hip apparently, due to work stress!?!
ski holidays
erica2004 wrote:
Anyway, a size 14 isn't a 14 anymore. Haven't you heard of vanity sizing? We're all a whole lot bigger than our previous generation. Toofy Grin

It's not just the ladies.... I'm an XL in normal (M&S clothes,) If I go in TK Maxx and try on tops from any of the designer labels marked XL its like watching Dafid from Little Britain!!! My skinny 17 year old son would struggle to get in them! So what happens when an impressionable teenage boy or girl tries designer clothes on and just gets into an XL.... They end up with a serious complex and assume they're fat (e.g. my 15 yo daughter who is a stick but is convinced she needs to lose weight!) The fasion houses have sooo much to answer for as have the media in general...

They are probably a major contributor to eating disorders
They probably started the current recession (the media that is)
They probably even started the 2nd world war!!!!! Skullie
snow report
Damn, that just rained on my parade. I guess I'm a size 14 in new money not old money. And far too tall to be a pixie. Hmmm...
ski holidays
Quote:

my instructor showed a fail-safe method of getting up for ANY size,

Alexandra, You must part with this information asap please - this is a vital part of my armory missing at the moment
Confused
snow report
MarjMJ,
Quote:

there is research evidence out there in learned journals that states if you are fat, then being fit and active is better than doing beggar all

There's actually slightly more to it than that. Research actually shows that you have a lower risk of cardiovascular disease if you are fat but fit, than if you are thin but unfit.

So I'm OK then Very Happy
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:
Quote:

my instructor showed a fail-safe method of getting up for ANY size,

Alexandra, You must part with this information asap please - this is a vital part of my armory missing at the moment
Confused

Yes, please divulge! I could probably manage the standard technique shown me if I needed it when fresh, but when I have needed it I have had wobbly legs that wouldn't work! snowHead
ski holidays
erica2004 wrote:

You're right but in the wrong way - I can quite easily get into clothes my mother has from the 60s marked 12 (and not US) but if I buy clothes now, I have to go 14 top and 14-16 bottom. But this could also be what Vipa was talking about - sizing clothes to make people think they're fat. By most measures I'm solid but definitely not overweight but I find it so difficult to find ski trousers that fit and even jackets that go round me without the sleeves being 6 in longer than my arms. But I think we've had this discussion before... Wink
ski holidays
eng_ch wrote:
You're right but in the wrong way - I can quite easily get into clothes my mother has from the 60s marked 12 (and not US) but if I buy clothes now, I have to go 14 top and 14-16 bottom. But this could also be what Vipa was talking about - sizing clothes to make people think they're fat. By most measures I'm solid but definitely not overweight but I find it so difficult to find ski trousers that fit and even jackets that go round me without the sleeves being 6 in longer than my arms. But I think we've had this discussion before... Wink

I've always thought you were a bloke . . . Shocked

Though I may not necessarily be wrong Toofy Grin
snow report
Masque wrote:
I've always thought you were a bloke . . . Shocked

Shocked

Quote:
Though I may not necessarily be wrong Toofy Grin

Oi !!
ski holidays
eng_ch, do the Ski Divas know yet?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy