Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any body boarded in la grave?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi pretty new to this forum, tried a quick search on la grave but didnt find much. Going to Les Deux Alpes on 17th of Jan, i fancy getting a guide and go to La Grave for the day. Just wondered how good and hard the place is, I have done quite a bit of off piste but have heared mixed views on the serverity of La Grave, wanted to know if its within my capabilty!? Any reviews would be brilliant. snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
adam gardner wrote:
Hi pretty new to this forum, tried a quick search on la grave but didnt find much. Going to Les Deux Alpes on 17th of Jan, i fancy getting a guide and go to La Grave for the day. Just wondered how good and hard the place is, I have done quite a bit of off piste but have heared mixed views on the serverity of La Grave, wanted to know if its within my capabilty!? Any reviews would be brilliant. snowHead

PM swirly who's just headed out for a season in LDA. He's also a boarder and keen to ride la grave.

You'll need a guide regardless...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
adam gardner, La Grave has everything from dead easy to the point where I've seen people go down the most well trodden routes on blades to ridiculously severe that I wouldn't even want to look down. A guide is a definite if only to avoid the moguled up long traverse through the trees to the mid station which I imagine is a right pain on a board.

I'm no expert off piste and been there on a few occasions so wouldn't worry about the potential difficulty the real issue is finding the routes.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the feedback, sounds good! Im definately going to give it a go. Staying in a chalet where the guy that owns it is an instructor, he should be able to advise me on a good guide. From what i have read about the place and seen on you tube , looks juat the place for me to have fun. Dont know till you have tried it. Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Welcome to snowHeads adam gardner.

Just to add to rich's comment. La Grave has everything from dead easy to stuff that looks dead easy, but could make you dead. Easily.

No matter how well-trodden the route you need a guide. People die in La Grave every year following tracks.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thats fair enough I plan on having fun but being careful aswell, I know a good guide is essential.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
adam gardner, hey, get a guide. Laughing

Apart from the obvious, you're gonna die if you take a wrong turn, a guide is good because there are potentially lots of traverses and in places large moguls form, so if I was on a snowboard there I'd want someone to try and minimise that side of things.

See if you can hire a swallow tail in L2A before you go, then you'll feel more like a local. snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
adam gardner, The Vallons is pretty easy although the sharp turns and flats in the forest may be a little awkward on a board. Use a guide the first time on a route until you really know your way around.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
adam gardner, have you considered getting a guide? Wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
it's harder for a boarder than a skier because of the bumpy traverses
even the straightforward runs are long and physically demanding - a world away from a bit of powder between the pistes
it's great though Cool

and get a guide
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Think im gonna give it a go towards the end of the holiday. Im going to stay with my mate who has been an instructor out there for a few years.
Let us know what you thought of it
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Does anybody else keep reading this thread title as something to do with bodies in graves?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PhillipStanton,

On a serious note - quality wit!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes only one word. AMAZING.

But on a more serious note, if you do not know the place get a guide or join some of the locals. Normally very willing if you know your stuff.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have snowboarded there, amazing on a powder day! If you regular foot the traverses are much easier as most are toe edge. My mate who is goofy had calfs like a rhino by the end of the trip!

And yes get a guide, if possible Phillipe Andre, as he is the only guide I know there who snowboards Puzzled
snow report
EPIC

I took a pole for the traverses, stayed on the bag. We didn't take a guide but one person had been before*, we couldn't follow tracks as there weren't any Cool

Seriously you do need to know what you're doing we're quite happy doing this stuff but if you're not get a guide.
snow conditions
Cant wait now, less than 2 weeks to go! Hope there is plenty of snow still.
snow conditions
Hi, done La Grave twice in last two years with SCGB both skiing and boarding. Best place yet! As a boarder you will need to like moguls, traversing or tight steep trees to enjoy. I loved the place as a SCGB purple (goofy) boarder (advanced but not expert) but we did have 60cm powder several days! Philipe Andre (If that's how you spell it) is a Very experienced boarding mountian guide for la grave, and was great.
snow report
sahsah, I agree, La Grave is a very cool place. Lot's to challenge you at all levels. Get a guide, I heard Philipe is good as well, but never used him. Have a great time.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy