Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Time for new boots or liners. Calling CEM as I live near Bicester

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've got a pair of 2006 Salomon Pro Guns, which have had around 90 days use. They've been very comfortable throughout, unlike all my previous boots, but the liners have packed down now and I'm ending up with the buckles very tight to prevent unwanted slop. So it's either replacement liners (Zip Fits?) or a new pair of boots. Do you think "All Mountain" type boots have improved significantly in the last few seasons? Or do you think custom liners in my current boots might outperform new boots with stock liners?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
uktrailmonster wrote:
I've got a pair of 2006 Salomon Pro Guns, which have had around 90 days use. They've been very comfortable throughout, unlike all my previous boots, but the liners have packed down now and I'm ending up with the buckles very tight to prevent unwanted slop. So it's either replacement liners (Zip Fits?) or a new pair of boots. Do you think "All Mountain" type boots have improved significantly in the last few seasons? Or do you think custom liners in my current boots might outperform new boots with stock liners?

Stick some thicker insoles in. Still why be cheap, why not easyjet to Geneva for a trip to the zoo?

By all mountain boots do you mean ski touring boots? If so you should not use them in alpine bindings and what's the point if you are not touring?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No, not ski touring boots. I was thinking of Alpine boots aimed at advanced/expert recreational skiers.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
uktrailmonster wrote:
No, not ski touring boots. I was thinking of Alpine boots aimed at advanced/expert recreational skiers.

Why don't you PM Colin? I would have thought the liners would be pretty knackered after 90 days though - well that is my experience of thermo liners anyway.

Boot makers reckon 4 year for shells - but if the heels and toes are worn they will suffer prerelease. I wonder if the 4 year rule (due to aging plastics) is just ski industry nonsense though? You see plenty of folk on first edition Salomon rear entry boots if you go outside the big French resorts.

Has there been much change in boot technology since 2006? I was looking at those Salomon Ghosts SZK was talking about earlier (I wonder if Colin has sorted him out yet? Happy and I see they have two buckles rather that the traditional 4 which seems a bit of a departure. For agressive skiers mind - presumably handy if you get into fights on the mountain.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davidof, Yep the liners have seen their best days for sure. The shells are still perfectly fine, but I don't mind buying new ones if the tech has moved on a little. There seems to be a lot more high performance "freeride" boots around now, but not sure if that's just marketing BS or genuine development. Salomon Ghosts look interesting, as do Technica Dragons. Be interesting to see how they compare with the more traditional race derived boots. My current Pro Guns were marketed as a freestyle boot, but I've found them pretty good on and off-piste. Not too stiff in the flex (95) and more than comfortable enough to wear all day. They're just a bit sloppy now with the shot liners.

I assume Colin is CEM? I will be heading his way shortly as Bicester is about 10 miles away, but just thought I'd start a thread to provoke a little thought first.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There seems to be a lot of technology in the Dragons

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10052985-16.html

at first thought going from a 95 to 120 boot would seem a big jump, especially if you ski off piste in powder or crud but the stiffness seems to be variable so gets applied where needed (if that is true).

I think if you have 90+ days it is no bad thing to get new boots though - I find that is the point where things start to break like clips, powerstraps etc and you end up spending too much time bodging repairs. I have a friend who actually had the shell on his 5 year old Technicas break up while skiing! So I guess I've answered my own question about aging plastics.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
uktrailmonster, Colin is in deed CEM. Well worth a trip. For this year, he's not carrying Salomon Boots in stock, but there's still plenty on offer, HEAD, Atomic & Lange. He's got both types of Zip-Fit liners too. If he thinks another brand would suit you better, he's got plenty of sources for them and he'll fit them for you.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof, Yeah 95 to 120 flex does seem a big jump (but Dragons are also available in 100 and 110 too). I've had various super stiff race boots in the past and my current 95 Salomons were my first experiment with softer flexing boots. I think I do prefer the softer flex, but it's so long since I've used stiffer boots that it's not easy to make a judgement. I do ski a lot of powder and crud, but very little (if any at all) hardpack. So I certainly want a boot optimised for soft snow conditions. I also tend to ski every day on long trips (2 to 3 weeks at a time), so I really need a comfortable boot I can actually live with! On that score the Sally Guns have been fantastic. But I'm thinking now that possibly I went a size too big. Well they are now anyway with these old liners.

Spyderman, Cheers, sounds like the man for the job. I was going to go and see CEM last year, but I ended up leaving my boots out in Canada so had no reference point to start from. But I've brought them home this time, so good to go now.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy